User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-27-2024, 05:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmn3 View Post
I think Lindsey would have 100% been on board with broadening the setlist for a 2018 tour, he just would push for the 75-87, 97+ stuff that they did together.
And that’s the problem. The main point of the 2018 tour, at least initially, was supporting the 50th Anniversary compilation. That’s what the tour was supposed to be about.

I get Lindsey doesn’t like playing the older material beyond “Oh Well,” but this was supposed to be a career-spanning retrospective tour.

Granted, anything interesting was gone by the end of the tour, at least some stuff got dusted off.

Quote:
Look no further than the BuckVie tour where they did unearthed Wish You Were Here for its live debut 35 years after it was released and never played the most obvious LB/CM song: Don’t Stop (and World Turning for that matter).

Putting the stale setlist on Lindsey is laughable.
Okay, but Stevie also dusted off a lot of rarities (like “Crying In The Night”).

I’d never blame any single person for the stale setlists. There were very strong competing visions for the band. Stevie wanted to go vault, Lindsey wanted new. Neither especially wanted to do the stale setlists, but it was probably the easiest way for the band to get out on the road.

However, if Lindsey is going to pound his chest about being the band’s musical director and be firmly committed to using prerecords, then the buck stops with him and he should be prepared for the inevitable criticisms.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-28-2024, 08:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmn3 View Post
There is zero chance of this setlist ever happening with Lindsey. I think he would agree to do Oh Well and he might even be on board with playing on Stevie doing the BMW cover and Chris doing something from her pre-75 catalog. But there’s no way Lindsey was singing Hypnotized, Tell Me…, and Stop Messin’ Around and not doing Go Your Own Way. Also, Stevie seems to not even acknowledge the existence of I Don’t Want to Know.

I think Lindsey would have 100% been on board with broadening the setlist for a 2018 tour, he just would push for the 75-87, 97+ stuff that they did together. Look no further than the BuckVie tour where they did unearthed Wish You Were Here for its live debut 35 years after it was released and never played the most obvious LB/CM song: Don’t Stop (and World Turning for that matter).

You could make a great set with some key warhorses and rarities like Brown Eyes, Angel, Walk a Thin Line, That’s Alright, Book of Love, Wish You Were Here, Tango in the Night, Isn’t it Midnight, and hell, I hate this song, but I think a retooled, modernized, and less whassamattahbabayy version of When I See You Again would work.

Putting the stale setlist on Lindsey is laughable.
My setlist was if Lindsey basically got on a leash for Stevie. I think Stevie’s the one who wants to sing Go Your Own Way…I get the feeling Lindsey doesn’t desire to play that song. And the setlist I put together would have been better than the one I saw in 2018, though I want no pre White Album songs. Stevie doing Storms was like Lindsey putting I Know I’m Not Wrong in the On With the Show Tour. Could you not have done Angel in 2018 Stevie and could you not have done That’s Enough For Me in 2014 Lindsey?
Old 01-28-2024, 09:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
My setlist was if Lindsey basically got on a leash for Stevie. I think Stevie’s the one who wants to sing Go Your Own Way…I get the feeling Lindsey doesn’t desire to play that song. And the setlist I put together would have been better than the one I saw in 2018, though I want no pre White Album songs. Stevie doing Storms was like Lindsey putting I Know I’m Not Wrong in the On With the Show Tour. Could you not have done Angel in 2018 Stevie and could you not have done That’s Enough For Me in 2014 Lindsey?
I got your premise but have to disagree on GYOW. Go Your Own Way is THE song in his catalog. His most well known/popular/loved - whatever you want to call it. There’s a reason basically every solo show he’s ever played as well as just about every Fleetwood Mac concert (even if he isn’t there) ends the main set with it.
Old 01-29-2024, 10:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Based on how the reboot of Sisters Of The Moon went, I'm glad Angel never got dusted off. It would have been a disappointment, IMO.
Old 01-29-2024, 10:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Yes, Angel took a little while to grow on me, but I love it now. I especially like the live version on disc 3 of the Live deluxe edition and the alternate take on the Tusk deluxe gets me every time. I wouldn't want to hear a current version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl84 View Post
Based on how the reboot of Sisters Of The Moon went, I'm glad Angel never got dusted off. It would have been a disappointment, IMO.
Old 01-29-2024, 12:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The only reason it wasn’t dusted off was because Seven Wonders was on American Horror Story and she wanted to revive it. I was happy to hear that live again. I wish Angel would have been done instead of Sisters another year but Stevie loved doing that song with her ad-libbing.
Old 01-29-2024, 01:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
And that’s the problem. The main point of the 2018 tour, at least initially, was supporting the 50th Anniversary compilation. That’s what the tour was supposed to be about.

I get Lindsey doesn’t like playing the older material beyond “Oh Well,” but this was supposed to be a career-spanning retrospective tour.

Granted, anything interesting was gone by the end of the tour, at least some stuff got dusted off.

Okay, but Stevie also dusted off a lot of rarities (like “Crying In The Night”).

I’d never blame any single person for the stale setlists. There were very strong competing visions for the band. Stevie wanted to go vault, Lindsey wanted new. Neither especially wanted to do the stale setlists, but it was probably the easiest way for the band to get out on the road.

However, if Lindsey is going to pound his chest about being the band’s musical director and be firmly committed to using prerecords, then the buck stops with him and he should be prepared for the inevitable criticisms.
Music Cares happened in late January 2018. The Don't Stop 50 Years Box Set was announced 8 months later in September of 2018, with a release date of November 2018.

I've said this before, but I still think the entire box set project was dreamed up to serve a few purposes:

1. Make up for (expected) decreased touring revenue - They knew this tour was going to be a harder sell without Lindsey. Initial ticket sales turned out to be slow in a lot of markets.

2. Compensate for what they gave Lindsey - help get back the money they awarded Lindsey in the lawsuit.

3. Deliver a product that supports/demonstrates the "many lineups of Fleetwood Mac" in an effort to downplay Lindsey's departure.

I really don't believe for one minute this box set would have existed had Lindsey been part of the tour. This wasn't some sincere homage to Fleetwood Mac, they just used the history of Fleetwood Mac to try and make themselves look less terrible. It's a pretty blatant marketing ploy, IMO. It ultimately proved relatively unsuccessful with the focus of pre-75 material largely scrubbed from the tour only a few months into it.

Last edited by BigAl84; 01-29-2024 at 02:13 PM..
Old 01-29-2024, 03:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Boxed sets like that aren’t just thrown together. They take months, if not years to plan out, especially with a band with numerous stake holders.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-29-2024, 03:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I found it weird that they didn’t sell it at merch stands at the shows that I went to on the 2019 legs. Stevie sold Crystal Visions on her 2007 Tour.
Old 01-29-2024, 03:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I didn't even buy the 50th anniversary collection so I probably shouldn't comment, but I guess I will anyway. I wouldn't even call this a box set. It's just another greatest hits collection, hastily thrown together. I bet the band didn't even have much or anything to do with it. My impression was that Rhino used the same masters that they already had, and threw some songs together. I don't think it even had a booklet with it, and the cover was pure crap. I guess Sad Angell made it's cd debut, but almost everything has been rehashed over and over - rinse and repeat. Cash grab it isn't finest.
Old 01-29-2024, 04:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Boxed sets like that aren’t just thrown together. They take months, if not years to plan out, especially with a band with numerous stake holders.
Actually, Lindsey is on record for saying that even the Rumours deluxe box set from 2011/2012 was largely put together by the label and had very minimal involvement from the band. Stevie later admitted that she hadn't heard much of it either. Christine admitted that she hadn't heard the Mirage Box set in recent years.
Old 01-29-2024, 04:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by soul_drifter333 View Post
I didn't even buy the 50th anniversary collection so I probably shouldn't comment, but I guess I will anyway. I wouldn't even call this a box set. It's just another greatest hits collection, hastily thrown together. I bet the band didn't even have much or anything to do with it. My impression was that Rhino used the same masters that they already had, and threw some songs together. I don't think it even had a booklet with it, and the cover was pure crap. I guess Sad Angell made it's cd debut, but almost everything has been rehashed over and over - rinse and repeat. Cash grab it isn't finest.
Bingo. Exactly. These things do not take months or years and are relatively easy for labels to throw together if they own the rights to the material. If they can keep the cost of packaging/manufacturing down, they're an easy money maker.
Old 01-29-2024, 04:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think that the deluxe editions took longer because someone had to research the tapes and find content. I also think one of the reasons for the deluxe editions was to preserve the tapes by baking and digitizing them, and I think they were hoping to recoup the cost of that process by releasing them commercially. It's a shame they're now out of print, but I guess they were only suppose to have a limited appeal. As for the 50th collection all that should have already been done. A CD booklet would have been nice for the 50th, but how many times can the same story be told?

Quote:
Bingo. Exactly. These things do not take months or years and are relatively easy for labels to throw together if they own the rights to the material. If they can keep the cost of packaging/manufacturing down, they're an easy money maker.
Old 01-29-2024, 07:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
For most bands, yes.

Fleetwood Mac is a different story. I don’t know if WBR owns the rights to the Blue Horizon material and I think Cliff has to sign off on anything from pre-1974. Plus, with all of the publishing/catalog sales, it could be a difficult and lengthy process.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-30-2024, 05:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless child View Post
Lindsey just did an interview on Sirus XM. Conan O'Brian podcast. I guess he is a big fan and listens all the time. I heard a snippet on Twitter that someone posted about his leaving the band. Nothing specific but he is still open to forgiving Stevie. Chump. And he is most upset about the Legacy of the band being hurt by the firing.
It's nice to have a fresh interview, even if a lot of it is typical LB responses. His pick of the songs and rationale why was interesting and something new and different. He said he's working on the new album this year, and invited Conan to stop over and jam with him when he feels like it. I enjoyed Conan's questions and banter. Lindsey telling him how he couldn't listen recently cos he had to drive a rental without Sirius in it.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"