Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-15-2014, 03:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question Play mp3s from USB external hard drive through stereo without PC?

Anyone know of something I can buy which will let me play mp3s I have saved on a 1TB USB external hard drive through a stereo without using a PC? Not mp3 player mind you, external hard drive and as long as I can at least get simple navigation to the files that's fine but easier the navigation the better. I've seen things recommended online like Logitech's Squeezebox Touch or Netgear Digital Entertainer EVA8000 but it sounds like these are either discontinued or over my head tech wise. Some articles have said there are receivers that will do it but cost a lot and don't name them. Not that I have money to throw around but as long as something does what I want it to do, I wouldn't mind investing in something like that so any suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance

John
Old 07-19-2014, 10:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm really terrible at that kind of tech question, although I use an old stereo receiver still too. I would just burn to CDs to play on the player plugged in with rca cables to the stereo... blank CDs aren't all that expensive. Or you could burn to a DVD-R and play through a DVD/home theater.

I could ask my bf who runs a recording studio tomorrow?
Old 07-21-2014, 04:33 PM
Senior Ledgie

A device to do that does exist. I have a device called "Music Party" that plugs into any stereo system with audio input jacks and an Auxiliary mode. It has a USB slot and its own remote, and is about the size of a deck of cards. You can play MP3s loaded onto a thumb drive through the Auxiliary output. That's the good news. The bad news is I believe the device is no longer available from the manufacturer. I have tried to find another one for another stereo system. You might luck out and find one on eBay. I bought mine at CyberGuys several years ago, but they don't seem to stock them anymore.

Here is a link to show you what it looks like in case you are looking for one on eBay or elsewhere.
http://www.dealsdirect.com.au/avlabs...ma-usb-bridge/

Last edited by Eponymous; 07-23-2014 at 02:36 PM.. Reason: added link to photo