The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-18-2003, 02:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Question Anyone else fear the SYW Lindsey songs are gonna the same version as GOS?

I REALLY do enjoy all those Gift of Screws tracks. But I am a little worried that when I hear SAY YOU WILL, the old GOS tracks will be exactly that (the same exact version) but just with a new Stevie vocal here are there. I would be a little upset if this were the case. Can anyone, that may have heard any of the new tracks let us know if they are inedeed NEW versions?

I mean Lindsey must know that the entire GOS album has been leaked out across the www. Just to take half those finished tracks and just throw them on a new Mac Album would semm kinda lazy.

what are anyone else's toughts?

-Derek
Old 02-18-2003, 03:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

There are a few people here who actually want the 'GoS' tracks to remain unchanged, and will be happiest if they remain exactly as we know them... but personally, I'm hoping that Lindsey and the band have made a few tweaks or refinements.

Nothing major though... just something to make them fresher, and more "band-oriented."

There are rumours that "Peacekeeper," at least, has been modified somewhat from the version most of us have become familiar with... so it'll be interesting to see if there have been changes made to any of the other tracks.

Johnny Stew
Old 02-18-2003, 03:52 PM
thewhitewingedd
This message has been deleted by thewhitewingedd.
Old 02-18-2003, 04:04 PM

Default Re: Anyone else fear the SYW Lindsey songs are gonna the same version as GOS?

Quote:
Originally posted by deribish
I mean Lindsey must know that the entire GOS album has been leaked out across the www. Just to take half those finished tracks and just throw them on a new Mac Album would semm kinda lazy.
Your rationale is a little vexing. So because the songs were leaked, he should go make all kinds of changes to please the few hundred people who already have them? That would make a man who has slaved over the songs for 10 years lazy? If a manuscript of John Irving's gets leaked out on the web six months before it is supposed to be published, should he go make changes to it?

Most of the GOS songs were finished, so don't expect major changes.
Old 02-18-2003, 04:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Re: Anyone else fear the SYW Lindsey songs are gonna the same version as GOS?

Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca

....Most of the GOS songs were finished, so don't expect major changes.
...and some of us like them just the way they are....
Old 02-18-2003, 04:16 PM
Senior Ledgie

Glad i haven't heard the GOS demos.
Old 02-18-2003, 04:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Even if they ARE the same versions that were leaked, they're going to SOUND a tad bit different due to they'll have gone through all the final mixing & mastering. For example on "Bleed To Love Her", there won't be that variation in the overall level of the track. The volume at the beginning of the song is quite a bit lower than it is by the time it gets to the second chorus...the final versions will have those kind of discrepancies eliminated (or, I'd be VERY surprised if they weren't).
Old 02-18-2003, 04:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

You know the funny thing is if LB left the tracks on SYW exactly the same as on the "released" demos, then I have to wonder what he (and I mean LB not FM) has been doing for the last six years I guess genius takes time. I can also picture LB doing a bunch of stuff and SN saying where is my stuff that was originally in here - "Put it Back" a la Norma Desmond when Joe Gillis tries to delete one her scenes from her self-penned silent movie script in "Sunset Blvd." Actually, that's not a bad reference, only SN is not as delusional or washed up as poor Norma Desmond

If you do not get the Sunst Blvd. reference - go here for more information http://www.filmsite.org/suns.html and see below in a better than usual paraphrasing of the story:

Norma: "Cut away from me?"

Joe: "Norma, they don't want you in every scene."

Norma: "Of course they do. What else would they have come back for. Put it back!"

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 02-18-2003, 05:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question THE PART I DON'T GET...

I must admit that I don't know much of the story behind GOS but if it was true what I heard about that Reprise had rejected GOS as a solo album, why is it that they now accept some of those same songs (on FM's SYW album they (Reprise) will put out) that they had previously rejected for LB's GOS?

John
Old 02-18-2003, 05:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: THE PART I DON'T GET...

Quote:
Originally posted by wetcamelfood
I must admit that I don't know much of the story behind GOS but if it was true what I heard about that Reprise had rejected GOS as a solo album, why is it that they now accept some of those same songs (on FM's SYW album they (Reprise) will put out) that they had previously rejected for LB's GOS?
That could be fairly easy to answer -- they wanted it to go on Fleetwood Mac's name. Lindsey may be a genius, a master, however you want to praise him, but he still isn't known for high solo sales figures, and sadly that's what a record company is interested in these days. So, if you can take the same songs and plaster them on to the name Fleetwood Mac to sell a lot more, why not? (That last sentence was NOT MY thought, it's what the record co. was probably thinking.)
Old 02-18-2003, 05:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Most of the GOS songs were finished, so don't expect major changes.
I don't thnk so. Fleetwood Mac spent EIGHTEEN MONTHS in the studio. I would be suprised if those songs weren't drasticly changed. Just look at the times we got. All the songs have very differnet times. Most noticeably Come. I liked the songs, but i feel none of them sounded finished. Except Red Rover.

He Will Burn You Down
Old 02-18-2003, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawkeye
I don't thnk so. Fleetwood Mac spent EIGHTEEN MONTHS in the studio. I would be suprised if those songs weren't drasticly changed. Just look at the times we got. All the songs have very differnet times. Most noticeably Come. I liked the songs, but i feel none of them sounded finished. Except Red Rover.
I wonder just exactly what people are hoping for when they say they want the songs to be different. Did you not like them? Do you want him to change words, rework the progressions, perhaps can the melodies and do chants for all fo them?

I don't get it, people, these were finished songs. Of course there will be some changes because those tracks weren't mastered. Chili mentioned the Bleed to Love Her example. When I put the files on my audio-editing software, I noticed a lot of the songs started at a lower volume than they ended.

Yes, there will be some tweaks, but again, don't expect major changes.
Old 02-18-2003, 06:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I agree that the songs won't be changed musically, per se, but I do believe there will in the very least be some extra parts, retracked parts (namely rhythm and b/g vocals), and up-todate mixing a'la Thrown Down/Say You Will. The arrangement/mixing of Miranda/Murrow etc is pretty sparse by comparison to these.
Unless they're approaching Stevie song one way and Lindsey's another
Old 02-18-2003, 08:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca

Yes, there will be some tweaks, but again, don't expect major changes.
how do you explain a nearly two minute drop off in Come's time.

He Will Burn You Down
Old 02-18-2003, 08:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawkeye
how do you explain a nearly two minute drop off in Come's time.
I assume Carne considers editing to be a tweak, as do I.
Old 02-18-2003, 09:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I really hope that they treat Lindsey's and Stevie's songs from the same direction....It would disturb the album flow if they didn't....

~Alex