Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-17-2003, 10:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Question The success of "Gold Dust Woman"

"Gold Dust Woman" was never released as an official single, right? Well, I don't know about other cities, but here in Miami, GDW is played more than any other FM song on the radio...Which is kind of strange if you think about it. Personally, its one of my favorite FM songs...but I was just wondering what really catepulted this song...Did it get alot of airplay in '77? Or was it from being a concert staple?

Frankly, today its as big a hit as "Dreams" or "The Chain" live, as soon as people hear the cowbell(i promise not to make Blue Oyster Cult jokes ) the crowd goes insane...So, I'm just wondering how it evolved into such a big hit....

Thanks!
~Alex

Old 02-17-2003, 10:55 AM
joe

i think it was pretty much from radio play as it was from the live performance. I wasn't old enough in 1977 to tell if it was played on the radio a lot. I started listening to them in 1981 and i remember trying to tape it off the radio when it came on. I think the majority of that album was played on the radio despite certain songs not being released as "singles". Back then FM rock radio was doing AOR formatting in which you would hear tracks from albums that weren't released as singles. You might even have heard entire albums. I try to find stations like that to listen to. One thing that annoys the heck out of me with these "classic rock" stations is they play the SAME set of songs from the artist. I mean, i know the Eagles have done more than "Hotel California" etc....

I also think that Stevie has a strong character persona on stage with Gold Dust Woman...If you've noticed over the years she's pretty much always done it live with the exception of the Tusk,Mirage and OSOTM tours. She did it a few times on the RAL tour but, basically, since 1990 she's been doing it at all of her shows. I think a lot of people know it as a live staple. Now, if we could just work on another one.....("sara")
Old 02-17-2003, 01:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by joe
I also think that Stevie has a strong character persona on stage with Gold Dust Woman...If you've noticed over the years she's pretty much always done it live with the exception of the Tusk,Mirage and OSOTM tours. She did it a few times on the RAL tour but, basically, since 1990 she's been doing it at all of her shows. I think a lot of people know it as a live staple.
I think you mean Gold Dust Woman was left out of the Timespace tour. I have a few shows from OSOTM where she does GDW, and I have two Timespace shows which she doesn't do GDW. I always wondered why they didn't release GDW as a fifth single, or if not GDW why they didn't release another song such as The Chain. It seems to me that these two songs, plus Second Hand News, are like "invisible singles" as I hear them all the time...more than hits like Think About Me, Big Love, or Seven Wonders. Stevie does have this masterful way of doing GDW on stage, and the song just exudes the dark, mystical presence of "THE Gold Dust Woman," or what she's supposed to be like. This is and will probably always be my favorite song.
Old 02-17-2003, 03:44 PM
joe

Quote:
Originally posted by Sorcerer386
I think you mean Gold Dust Woman was left out of the Timespace tour.
you're absolutely right!!! my error. also, i remember reading a long time ago that the record company was actually looking for a fifth single. they were going to pick either "Never Going Back Again" or "The Chain".
Old 02-17-2003, 07:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Hearing GDW (and The Chain back to back) on the radio 10 years ago got me hooked on FM. The song is just Stevie at her coolest IMO. I think it wraps up who she is into a package better than any other song. GDW is also played as much or more than any other FM song on the radio here in NC too.

It's one of those songs that also just translates to stage soooo incredibly well. It's a song that they can really have fun messing around with different "transcendental" parts (as Mick and Lindsey would say in the Rumours DVDA... hehe). A true classic in every sense of the word. As far as reviving old classics... forget Sara. Give me Sisters of the Moon!! -Louie
Old 02-17-2003, 07:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Thumbs up AMEN!!

Quote:
Originally posted by louielouie2000
As far as reviving old classics... forget Sara. Give me Sisters of the Moon!! -Louie
Louie, you're alright!! I agree, SOTM is a power rocker...and deserves to be brought back!! She can still speak in "tongues", right!?!?! LOL

I love GDW live too...one of my fave versions is from The Dance.
Old 02-17-2003, 08:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: AMEN!!

Quote:
Originally posted by wondergirl9847

I love GDW live too...one of my fave versions is from The Dance.
Oh I agree wondergirl9847...this version is so awesome. Another one I simply LOVE is the Rumours tour version in Japan. I just love the way she's wailing at the end...so much passion! GDW is definitely my favorite song of all time and I don't really think that will ever change

"Oh I let you slip away there was nothing I could do. That was so long ago still I often think of you..."-Lindsey Buckingham

"I didn't come here to be a mother, I didn't come here to be a nun, and I did not come here to be a cleaning lady; I came here to be a poet"-Stevie Nicks
Old 02-17-2003, 08:36 PM
thewhitewingedd
This message has been deleted by thewhitewingedd.
Old 02-17-2003, 10:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by joe
also, i remember reading a long time ago that the record company was actually looking for a fifth single. they were going to pick either "Never Going Back Again" or "The Chain".
I think The Chain would have made a good single, but ugh, not Never Going Back Again. That's the only Rumours song I don't like. It's just a bit too folksy for me. When I hear it, I picture Lindsey sitting on a country porch with a piece of wheat sticking out of his mouth. So I guess that's a rather subjective opinion as to why it shouldn't be a single, but I'm not sure it's still the best. Second Hand News would be better if they wanted a Lindsey song.
Old 02-18-2003, 04:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Louie, you're alright!! I agree, SOTM is a power rocker...and deserves to be brought back!! She can still speak in "tongues", right!?!?! LOL

I agree, too! And speaking of "speaking in tongues", lol...I know we've debated this before....but I was listening to SOTM from the Mirage tour the other day on repeat and does anyone hear the words "crying in the night" in there? I could just swear I hear it.

And GDW rocks! I agree with golddustchic....I think my favorite version is the Japan '77 version, too. Second fav is the Dance version.

~Angela~

Old 02-21-2003, 05:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I agree, SOTM is a power rocker...and deserves to be brought back!!
I've never heard truer words spoken! Absolutely! It's up there with GDW as one of Stevie's best, especially live!

Old 02-21-2003, 06:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Cool In warm Peru.... YMLF

Hi, from the sunny south Pacific coast.. he he!!!

Well, GDW was the b side of YMLF single, my brother bought that record, I remember (oh, those good old days..)

But GDW was never a pop song in peruvian radios, actually I don't remember I've heard it (outside from a Fleetwood Mac special).

Cool to know that it's popular in Miami