Old 10-17-2020, 10:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default 20 best Rolling Stones covers

LB's She Smiled Sweetly at #6 -

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/rolling...e-harry-ferry/

Jack Whatley· October 17, 2020
From David Bowie to Bob Dylan: The 20 best covers of The Rolling Stones

6. Lindsey Buckingham – ‘She Smiled Sweetly’

In between the tos and fros of being in Fleetwood Mac, which we imagine can play havoc with anyone’s schedule, Lindsey Buckingham was in the midst of recording his own solo album.

The songs which recorded would find their way out to the public in drips and this cover, despite being recorded during the late nineties, would only see the light of day in 2011. It’s a beautifully aching rendition which shows off Buckingham’s incredible talent. Often maligned for his part in Fleetwood Mac’s demise, it’s worth remembering just how talented Buckingham is.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 10-17-2020, 10:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
LB's She Smiled Sweetly at #6 -

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/rolling...e-harry-ferry/

Jack Whatley· October 17, 2020
From David Bowie to Bob Dylan: The 20 best covers of The Rolling Stones

6. Lindsey Buckingham – ‘She Smiled Sweetly’

In between the tos and fros of being in Fleetwood Mac, which we imagine can play havoc with anyone’s schedule, Lindsey Buckingham was in the midst of recording his own solo album.

The songs which recorded would find their way out to the public in drips and this cover, despite being recorded during the late nineties, would only see the light of day in 2011. It’s a beautifully aching rendition which shows off Buckingham’s incredible talent. Often maligned for his part in Fleetwood Mac’s demise, it’s worth remembering just how talented Buckingham is.
No Landslide by The Dixie Chicks or Smashing Pumpkins or Talking Heads Take me to the River? This is why Rolling Stone gets zero respect in music circles anymore. The drek they pull out of the archives.
Old 10-17-2020, 11:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newzchspy View Post
No Landslide by The Dixie Chicks or Smashing Pumpkins or Talking Heads Take me to the River? This is why Rolling Stone gets zero respect in music circles anymore. The drek they pull out of the archives.
Um...It is the 20 best covers of the band The Rolling Stones' songs.
Old 10-18-2020, 05:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Sorry, but... Yes the symphonic demo is 10x greater than the version on SWS, but it’s a cheat to pick the unreleased version. It doesn’t reflect history. Plus they didn’t even properly plug the SWS album. (And if they are looking at demos, Singer Not the Song and Gotta Get Away are even better.) His best released Stones cover is “I Am Waiting.”

I was worried the list wouldn’t include Bryan Ferry, and there he is at Number 1. Where he belongs. For every list.

He’s the greatest covers artist of all time, the most refined sensibility of the modern era, and the personal significance of him covering the Stones (retroactive significance of course) makes it fun.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.

Last edited by TrueFaith77; 10-18-2020 at 06:48 AM..
Old 10-18-2020, 05:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Run View Post
Um...It is the 20 best covers of the band The Rolling Stones' songs.
yes, I got that, but it's still drek. The crap Rolling Stone conjures up is unrelenting. Let's do an analysis of real covers, not just a limited one of Stones hits and then throw Buckingham in there for the Fleetwood Mac fans.
Old 10-18-2020, 07:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
yes, I got that, but it's still drek. The crap Rolling Stone conjures up is unrelenting. Let's do an analysis of real covers, not just a limited one of Stones hits and then throw Buckingham in there for the Fleetwood Mac fans.
Sure, we can debate Rolling Stone' magazine's content, but the list referenced and linked by the poster did not originate in Rolling Stone Magazine nor was it published in Rolling Stone Magazine. It was published in a UK magazine called Far Out.
Old 10-18-2020, 10:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Run View Post
Sure, we can debate Rolling Stone' magazine's content, but the list referenced and linked by the poster did not originate in Rolling Stone Magazine nor was it published in Rolling Stone Magazine. It was published in a UK magazine called Far Out.
yeah i was debating whether to put The Rolling Stones in the thread title or make it as short as possible and still informative, but thought having the actual article title and the link in the first post would help.

apparently some clicked on the link and read through the article but still missed stuff.

i thought some important and fantastic covers of The Rolling Stones were missed (Guns N' Roses anyone??), and like TrueFaith says, She Smiled Sweetly cover was from GOS1 days - which was far superior to the released SWS version, but i was still happy to see LB on this list. and i thought original GOS covers of She Smiled Sweetly was his best TRS cover, closely followed by The Singer Not The Song. i don't like his I Am Waiting cover, maybe because i don't really care for the song.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 10-18-2020, 11:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
????
This post makes absolutely no sense.
I think you made a mistake mate.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 10-20-2020, 01:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
yeah i was debating whether to put The Rolling Stones in the thread title or make it as short as possible and still informative, but thought having the actual article title and the link in the first post would help.
What?! How come there’s no mention of Annie Leibovitz? How dare you!