User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-17-2011, 03:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellaaarisen View Post
Life's actually going pretty well lately. Heading home for spring break tomorrow night, almost done with finals (currently procrastinating). Dating someone that I have a really good feeling about and we're taking a weekend trip to Vancouver in a few weeks.

However, I haven't communicated with my mother for the last two months. It's a weird position to be in but at the same time, I'm happier without her in my life right now. The only problem is that she's refusing to give a slice of her monthly payments from my dad to my college fund. They've recently separated and they are in the process of divorcing, so she'll get half of his pay check for the next 11 years and she won't give any of it towards my education. I may not be able to go to school next year but instead, will have to live at home and work.

I've made a lot of sacrifices for my education over the past five years, so this is nothing short of heartbreaking. It definitely isn't set in stone yet-- I may still be able to go to the UK next year-- but it's really on my mom's shoulders right now.
I'm sorry to hear about your parents!! My mom gets child support from my dad and my mom never gives any of it to me...towards school or anything!!! She keeps it all to herself...while I work my butt off only to get paid less then $100 a week.....so lame

Seems like since I've "moved" out of my house my mom has become more greedy...Like today...Ashley's Nonno passed away and she said sprry and stuff but then she was like "why arent you in school?" then I wanted to call out of work and she was like "dont tell me your calling out of work!?! your not even imediate family" WOOOW listen bitch....I spend probably 24/7 there and do SOOO much with her fasmily that they practically are my family!!

~Love, Caitlin~
Old 03-17-2011, 04:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enchanted_Stevi View Post
I'm sorry to hear about your parents!! My mom gets child support from my dad and my mom never gives any of it to me...towards school or anything!!! She keeps it all to herself...while I work my butt off only to get paid less then $100 a week.....so lame

Seems like since I've "moved" out of my house my mom has become more greedy...Like today...Ashley's Nonno passed away and she said sprry and stuff but then she was like "why arent you in school?" then I wanted to call out of work and she was like "dont tell me your calling out of work!?! your not even imediate family" WOOOW listen bitch....I spend probably 24/7 there and do SOOO much with her fasmily that they practically are my family!!
Wait, she' still paying chid support even though you're 20? God, my dad is screwed....
Old 03-17-2011, 04:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Wait, she' still paying chid support even though you're 20? God, my dad is screwed....
Yea...my dad pays child support til I am out of school...plus he owes $$ in back child support

~Love, Caitlin~
Old 03-17-2011, 04:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm 17 now, have never lived with my dad and he hasn't payed child support even once... so technically he owes me thousands of pounds.

Boo hiss boo!!
Old 03-17-2011, 04:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My dad pays child support until I'm 18 and I get my share to pay for my travel to school.

Unfortunately, my dad is a complete asshat

Oh Yeah Christine McVie | Tumblr
Old 03-18-2011, 01:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Life's actually going pretty well lately. Heading home for spring break tomorrow night, almost done with finals (currently procrastinating). Dating someone that I have a really good feeling about and we're taking a weekend trip to Vancouver in a few weeks.

However, I haven't communicated with my mother for the last two months. It's a weird position to be in but at the same time, I'm happier without her in my life right now. The only problem is that she's refusing to give a slice of her monthly payments from my dad to my college fund. They've recently separated and they are in the process of divorcing, so she'll get half of his pay check for the next 11 years and she won't give any of it towards my education. I may not be able to go to school next year but instead, will have to live at home and work.

I've made a lot of sacrifices for my education over the past five years, so this is nothing short of heartbreaking. It definitely isn't set in stone yet-- I may still be able to go to the UK next year-- but it's really on my mom's shoulders right now.
Well, college expenses of the children are one thing that should be addressed in divorce proceedings. Generally speaking, in my state anyway, the parents are responsible for two thirds (to be divided between them according to their respective incomes) and the student is responsible for one third. Maybe you should have your dad ask his lawyer.

For the record, I disagree with parents being required to pay for their child's college education. They are not required to do so if they stay married but if they divorce, it becomes an issue under the jurisdiction of the court. I got a scholarship for undergrad and my first year of law school and took out loans for the rest. The only thing my parents paid for were my books in undergrad and my grandpa paid for my books in law school. Other than that, I did it myself. I'm still paying for law school ten years later and will be for quite some time. There's nothing wrong with doing it yourself.

Besides relying on your parents, have you considered looking into student loans? You might not qualify for financial aid due to your parents' incomes (until you establish that you are no longer a dependant), but you can certainly apply for student loans. Also, with your academic background, did you not qualify for any scholarships?
Old 03-20-2011, 07:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I watched a young girl (16) having her first psychotic break this afternoon. SO so sad for everyone involved.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by camchristo View Post
Well, college expenses of the children are one thing that should be addressed in divorce proceedings. Generally speaking, in my state anyway, the parents are responsible for two thirds (to be divided between them according to their respective incomes) and the student is responsible for one third. Maybe you should have your dad ask his lawyer.

For the record, I disagree with parents being required to pay for their child's college education. They are not required to do so if they stay married but if they divorce, it becomes an issue under the jurisdiction of the court. I got a scholarship for undergrad and my first year of law school and took out loans for the rest. The only thing my parents paid for were my books in undergrad and my grandpa paid for my books in law school. Other than that, I did it myself. I'm still paying for law school ten years later and will be for quite some time. There's nothing wrong with doing it yourself.

Besides relying on your parents, have you considered looking into student loans? You might not qualify for financial aid due to your parents' incomes (until you establish that you are no longer a dependant), but you can certainly apply for student loans. Also, with your academic background, did you not qualify for any scholarships?
Thanks for your input. I told my dad about your two-thirds comment and he's planning on asking his lawyer.

I have a big scholarship to Seattle University ($30,000 a year out of a $36,000 tuition) but it's difficult to say what's going to happen because my mom is taking half of my dad's salary and refusing to contribute any of it. I know my dad could do it but with debts to pay off and my sister's college education also coming around the corner... it's hard to say. Also, I was hoping to leave Seattle U and go to the UK or another American school next year. Luckily, the UK is only a little more money than I'm paying at Seattle, believe it or not, so it may be possible. Who knows.

Student loans work in weird ways. I already have a small loan pulled out of a private investor but I should probably talk to Seattle U and figure out what they can do for me.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Welcome to Spring! I wake up to snow coming down real hard, sticking to the ground and car already and the fukcer hasn't stopped. I thought this sh&t was OVER!!!!!
Old 03-21-2011, 10:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Viv, your newest Sig is perfect!! Ann & Nancy look so beautiful ♥

JTIS, I just got some tickets to see Clare Maguire next month and I see Debbie Harry in 4 DAYS!!

Oh Yeah Christine McVie | Tumblr
Old 03-21-2011, 10:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

^Sweet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraRhiannon View Post
I just seen a "Ledgies in the US" thread. Are there any Canadian Ledgies out there?
There are a few. We try to keep them in their igloos. Bikerchic is Canadian, but she's rarely around these parts anymore. I think golddustsongbird is too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannieC View Post
I watched a young girl (16) having her first psychotic break this afternoon. SO so sad for everyone involved.
Awful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Welcome to Spring! I wake up to snow coming down real hard, sticking to the ground and car already and the fukcer hasn't stopped. I thought this sh&t was OVER!!!!!
It's supposed to snow here later this week.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Thanks for your input. I told my dad about your two-thirds comment and he's planning on asking his lawyer.

I have a big scholarship to Seattle University ($30,000 a year out of a $36,000 tuition) but it's difficult to say what's going to happen because my mom is taking half of my dad's salary and refusing to contribute any of it. I know my dad could do it but with debts to pay off and my sister's college education also coming around the corner... it's hard to say. Also, I was hoping to leave Seattle U and go to the UK or another American school next year. Luckily, the UK is only a little more money than I'm paying at Seattle, believe it or not, so it may be possible. Who knows.

Student loans work in weird ways. I already have a small loan pulled out of a private investor but I should probably talk to Seattle U and figure out what they can do for me.
I just cannot fathom what kind of mother, who is (I assume) financially stable, would not beg, steal and borrow for her child's education. I suspect the situation is much more complex than I could possibly imagine, but it just seems off to me.

You have an incredible scholarship. Use it wisely. You do not know how wonderful it will be to graduate with only minimal student loan debt. I know people in their thirties with Wharton MBAs who are still over $100K in debt. It's almost like having a mortgage payment. It's going to handicap every financial decision you make until it's paid off. I went to a cheap state school and I thank my lucky stars that I never had to borrow myself into oblivion.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
I just cannot fathom what kind of mother, who is (I assume) financially stable, would not beg, steal and borrow for her child's education. I suspect the situation is much more complex than I could possibly imagine, but it just seems off to me.

You have an incredible scholarship. Use it wisely. You do not know how wonderful it will be to graduate with only minimal student loan debt. I know people in their thirties with Wharton MBAs who are still over $100K in debt. It's almost like having a mortgage payment. It's going to handicap every financial decision you make until it's paid off. I went to a cheap state school and I thank my lucky stars that I never had to borrow myself into oblivion.
She hasn't made a dime since she married my dad 25 years ago, but she's getting nearly half of his very big salary every year. She can spend $10K to assure that I get an education. Ugh. She wrote on my FACEBOOK WALL a few days ago, asking to see me when I'm home. We haven't spoken in months.... what a half-assed way to reach out to me.

Anyway, I am definitely loving my scholarship and I'm very grateful for it. My dad is trying to pay for every dime of my education until grad school and so far, he's done it... but these next few months will really decide how the next three years go!
Old 03-21-2011, 04:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Well, with that kind of a scholarship, you should be able to make up the difference whether your mom decides to help or not. I know all about student loans - I had a few to get through law school. You should be able to get a student loan for the $6,000 difference with no problem. I know you've mentioned before that you work so you should be able to use that to supplement your living expenses.

You might just have to stay at Seattle. It might not be what you prefer to do, and you might have to work a little more to get by, but you can do it. It certainly doesn't sound to me like you'd have to abandon your scholarship to move back home and go to a community college which will likely cost you close $6,000 a year anyway. Your preference might be to go to the UK or somewhere in NY but you really should take advantage of your scholarship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
Yes. I agree. Be thankful for your scholarship and take advantage. It might be fun and exciting to go somewhere else but you'll pay for it later if you have to take out huge student loans. You'll have plenty of time to travel and have fun once you settle into a career. I only had loans for 2 years of lawschool and I'm still paying for it ten years later. Luckily for me, I was able to lock in a low interest rate and the payment is minimal. That and I have a decent job. I know people coming out of law school now with three times the debt I had when I graduated and they can't find a job. Or they're getting offers of starting salaries of $35,000 per year.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by camchristo View Post
Well, with that kind of a scholarship, you should be able to make up the difference whether your mom decides to help or not. I know all about student loans - I had a few to get through law school. You should be able to get a student loan for the $6,000 difference with no problem. I know you've mentioned before that you work so you should be able to use that to supplement your living expenses.

You might just have to stay at Seattle. It might not be what you prefer to do, and you might have to work a little more to get by, but you can do it. It certainly doesn't sound to me like you'd have to abandon your scholarship to move back home and go to a community college which will likely cost you close $6,000 a year anyway. Your preference might be to go to the UK or somewhere in NY but you really should take advantage of your scholarship.

Yes. I agree. Be thankful for your scholarship and take advantage. It might be fun and exciting to go somewhere else but you'll pay for it later if you have to take out huge student loans. You'll have plenty of time to travel and have fun once you settle into a career. I only had loans for 2 years of lawschool and I'm still paying for it ten years later. Luckily for me, I was able to lock in a low interest rate and the payment is minimal. That and I have a decent job. I know people coming out of law school now with three times the debt I had when I graduated and they can't find a job. Or they're getting offers of starting salaries of $35,000 per year.

Agreed, I would be happy to be able to stay in Seattle at this point... but it's not just the $6,000. I also have room and board, a meal plan, plane tickets to and back.... It all adds up. Frankly, I think I'll at least be able to stay in Seattle but no one really knows for sure.