User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-27-2018, 08:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back
Default House of Blues first night 09/17/1994

Very good concert from Stevie. This concert or the second night was eventually redubbed and really helped me in my life in 1996 when I recorded them it from the radio.
I moved a lot in 1994 and never saw this tour unfortunately. Stevie is depressed and for the House of Blues she drops Maybe Love will change your mind and Docklands. Included is a kick ass version of Rooms on Fire, Stand Back, Blue Denim, and Edge of 17. I don't remember Has anyone ever written anyone for you being included in the second night. The Chain was the encore that night right?
Waddy joins her on stage for I Need To Know. BTW, a killer Talk To Me is on this tour! Also this is the first solo tour that Rhiannon is included in the set and not the encore. I like when she introduces Sara Fleetwood and starts singing Sara.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6rcWtMq1bk

Last edited by Macfan4life; 12-28-2018 at 05:05 AM..
Old 12-27-2018, 09:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I liked her vocals on this tour. In some places she sounds like her old self, almost RAL sometimes. Big change from the drecky vocals she did on the OSOTM and Timespace tours. Heck, even the TITN tour featured a Stevie that was way off. This was a return to form, and I liked the stage design too.
Old 12-27-2018, 10:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks, I've been wanting this.
Old 12-28-2018, 02:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Good show. I'm surprised she doesn't do "Stop Draggin' My Heart Around" but I don't particularly miss it. "I Need To Know" is short and sweet. She should do "The Chain" more. Rick Vito rips it up on "Blue Denim." This is the end of her smoking period, and the end of her being somewhat wild with her delivery. She sings much more carefully starting with The Dance.

For those interested, I've divided the show into individual song tracks. I omitted the band introductions. I divided "Rooms On Fire" into two tracks:
the keyboard intro (similar to one of Lindsey's intros on Out Of The Cradle), and the song itself.

Link to show with 14 separate song tracks: https://wetransfer.com/downloads/56c...8090309/f54a6a

Setlist: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/stevi...3db08c5.html):

Stevie's introduction to "Destiny": "This next song was written in 1973. I had moved already to Los Angeles with Lindsey, and I went up to San Francisco, and I met somebody, and I almost didn't come back. But I did. It was a very big decision, as it was to change my life – and so this song is called 'Destiny.'"

Last edited by cbBen; 12-28-2018 at 04:21 AM..
Old 12-28-2018, 05:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by petep9000 View Post
I liked her vocals on this tour. In some places she sounds like her old self, almost RAL sometimes. Big change from the drecky vocals she did on the OSOTM and Timespace tours. Heck, even the TITN tour featured a Stevie that was way off. This was a return to form, and I liked the stage design too.
You hate OSOTM and Street Angel album and hair so you were not allowed to listen

Last edited by Macfan4life; 12-28-2018 at 05:06 AM..
Old 12-28-2018, 07:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Well I have news for you, honey-bunny. I love the SA album. I’m one of the few people here who doesn’t rag on it. I was perfectly happy when it came out, from track list to singles to album art to the tour.
Old 12-28-2018, 09:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Well I have news for you, honey-bunny. I love the SA album. I’m one of the few people here who doesn’t rag on it. I was perfectly happy when it came out, from track list to singles to album art to the tour.
Oh wow. We agree on something. I really like (most of) Street Angel.
Old 12-28-2018, 09:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The reason why I mentioned this concert recording helped me in my life was because it was so high energy. I was in training for a very physical job that required peak fitness. This concert I recorded from the radio on a cassette tape. Yes, I said cassette tape because in 1997 my stereo still had a cassette player on it. So I would put this cassette in my Walkman and run outside and on the treadmill for months and months. If you listen to this concert, its very very upbeat and almost fast. Stand Back is a full cardio work out as well as Edge of 17. Even outside the rain is played faster than other tours. You can really get your heart pumping.

I was not aware the concert was touched and parts re-recorded for radio so the radio version is a little different at times (than this version here). Stevie flubs the lyrics to Rooms on Fire here but she always flubs the lyrics to Rooms on Fire. The radio edit version she nails every word and verse of Rooms on Fire. I was like.....WOW that rehab stint did wonders because she has never nailed the song in concert before. LOL Now I prefer the unscripted natural live version here.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 12-28-2018 at 09:57 AM..
Old 12-28-2018, 01:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I edited it down to nine songs and think it's not bad. Don't know how she managed to record such a weak version of such a good song in "Rose Garden," but in any case I included it:

1. Blue Denim
2. Street Angel
3. Docklands
4. Listen To The Rain
5. Destiny
6. Unconditional Love
7. Rose Garden
8. Just Like A Woman
9. Kick It
Old 12-28-2018, 01:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbBen View Post
I edited it down to nine songs and think it's not bad. Don't know how she managed to record such a weak version of such a good song in "Rose Garden," but in any case I included it:

1. Blue Denim
2. Street Angel
3. Docklands
4. Listen To The Rain
5. Destiny
6. Unconditional Love
7. Rose Garden
8. Just Like A Woman
9. Kick It
For some reason the biggest complaints from SA is that Stevie sings the words laundromat and chimpanzee. Crazy reasons.

If you strip away all of the vocals on SA, each track is very good musically. This is what is missing in TISRL. If you strip away the vocals on that album you are left with very lightweight music that almost sounds like a demo.
Old 12-29-2018, 09:23 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
For some reason the biggest complaints from SA is that Stevie sings the words laundromat and chimpanzee. Crazy reasons.

If you strip away all of the vocals on SA, each track is very good musically. This is what is missing in TISRL. If you strip away the vocals on that album you are left with very lightweight music that almost sounds like a demo.
I agree with this statement completely. Street Angel isn't particularly memorable for me, I don't think any of it's high points stack up to the high points of any other solo album, but there's a decent amount to appreciate with it. The back-to-roots production is a welcome change from the thick mist of keyboards that was TOSOTM (which has its high points as well). Blue Denim is a good rocker and she really killed it live, Maybe Love is a perfectly serviceable pop song, Street Angel is clunky but has a moody atmosphere that I like a lot, and I like the feel and message of Kick It.

I never got the hate for Docklands or Jane. I enjoy the Mint Juelps and Betsy Cook versions more, but I appreciate the grittier feel to the music and vocals that Stevie provides. I remember reading some criticism that the lyrics "just don't fit for Stevie" because it doesn't sound as magical as her other songs, but that's kind of why I like it. It fits well with the production of the album. I don't feel too much for Jane, just personal preference, but I like the music and you can sense the heart she has for the song in her delivery. I might have edited out the chimpanzee line but I don't think it's anywhere near as awkward as its made out to be. When people say it's the worst song she's ever made, right up against The Second Time and That Made Me Stronger I get super confused.

A few songs come across as filler for me though. Listen to the Rain, Unconditional Love, Greta (which has some pretty cringey lyrics), and Destiny don't really make an impression on me unfortunately. They've got decent music but eh lyrics and vocals. Rose Garden could have been better with some retooling (I liked it on the Enchanted tour). Love is Like a River... has a good base but it was executed in all of the wrong ways. The backing vocalists in particular.

Thousand Days and Mirror, Mirror are both AMAZING and if they replaced Greta and Love is Like a River the album would've felt stronger imo. I've heard Running Through the Garden was tried for that album as well. If that's true, I'd kill to hear a more basic version of that rocker without all the 80s trappings on the RAL demo and SYW version. Although I think literally every album would have benefited from adding that song

"The face of a pretty girl x1,000,000" -Isn't It Midnight (The song that got me into Christine McVie)

"The sun is bright, but not too bright to see. When the darkness comes you've got to fly into the light." -Doing What I Can (The song that got me into Lindsey Buckingham)

"I can still hear you saying you would never break the chain" -The Chain (The song that got me into Fleetwood Mac)
Old 12-30-2018, 08:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netter75 View Post
I agree with this statement completely. Street Angel isn't particularly memorable for me, I don't think any of it's high points stack up to the high points of any other solo album, but there's a decent amount to appreciate with it. The back-to-roots production is a welcome change from the thick mist of keyboards that was TOSOTM (which has its high points as well). Blue Denim is a good rocker and she really killed it live, Maybe Love is a perfectly serviceable pop song, Street Angel is clunky but has a moody atmosphere that I like a lot, and I like the feel and message of Kick It.

I never got the hate for Docklands or Jane. I enjoy the Mint Juelps and Betsy Cook versions more, but I appreciate the grittier feel to the music and vocals that Stevie provides. I remember reading some criticism that the lyrics "just don't fit for Stevie" because it doesn't sound as magical as her other songs, but that's kind of why I like it. It fits well with the production of the album. I don't feel too much for Jane, just personal preference, but I like the music and you can sense the heart she has for the song in her delivery. I might have edited out the chimpanzee line but I don't think it's anywhere near as awkward as its made out to be. When people say it's the worst song she's ever made, right up against The Second Time and That Made Me Stronger I get super confused.

A few songs come across as filler for me though. Listen to the Rain, Unconditional Love, Greta (which has some pretty cringey lyrics), and Destiny don't really make an impression on me unfortunately. They've got decent music but eh lyrics and vocals. Rose Garden could have been better with some retooling (I liked it on the Enchanted tour). Love is Like a River... has a good base but it was executed in all of the wrong ways. The backing vocalists in particular.

Thousand Days and Mirror, Mirror are both AMAZING and if they replaced Greta and Love is Like a River the album would've felt stronger imo. I've heard Running Through the Garden was tried for that album as well. If that's true, I'd kill to hear a more basic version of that rocker without all the 80s trappings on the RAL demo and SYW version. Although I think literally every album would have benefited from adding that song
I think Listen to the Rain is one of the album's best tracks. I agree Unconditional Love seems like filler though. I think Kick it is over produced to being dull. I love the line in Love is like a river "You must have many things to remember, cause nothing else in your life has really changed" LOL I can so relate to that line. I love Listen to the rain and wish she would have done it live. Its one of her biggest rockers plus being so autobiographical.
I do agree the album would have been better if the 1992 version of Mirror Mirror included as well as Thousand Days. I would have dropped the song Street Angel and called it Mirror Mirror instead. However, its rare when Stevie writes about current events. Homelessness must have really touched her.
BTW, I love Greta and think its one of the album's best tracks. The music is very good and those drums crack (love it).
Stevie is misguided in her dislike for the album and blames the vocals. Her vocals are superb on the album. She is blaming herself and trying to find a reason to hate the album because it was not successful.
Old 12-30-2018, 07:22 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I think Listen to the Rain is one of the album's best tracks. I agree Unconditional Love seems like filler though. I think Kick it is over produced to being dull. I love the line in Love is like a river "You must have many things to remember, cause nothing else in your life has really changed" LOL I can so relate to that line. I love Listen to the rain and wish she would have done it live. Its one of her biggest rockers plus being so autobiographical.
I do agree the album would have been better if the 1992 version of Mirror Mirror included as well as Thousand Days. I would have dropped the song Street Angel and called it Mirror Mirror instead. However, its rare when Stevie writes about current events. Homelessness must have really touched her.
BTW, I love Greta and think its one of the album's best tracks. The music is very good and those drums crack (love it).
Stevie is misguided in her dislike for the album and blames the vocals. Her vocals are superb on the album. She is blaming herself and trying to find a reason to hate the album because it was not successful.
I'm gonna have to give "Listen to the Rain" another shot based on that write-up! Maybe ive been missing something the few times I've tried to listen to it. There's a demo somewhere of the Timespace version that I need to give a relisten as well. I completely agree about Stevie trying to find an explanation for the albums lack of success, I really don't think it's anything to be embarrassed of (unlike Rock a Little, as much as I enjoy parts of it). It certainly holds up better in retrospect than any of her later 80s material.

"The face of a pretty girl x1,000,000" -Isn't It Midnight (The song that got me into Christine McVie)

"The sun is bright, but not too bright to see. When the darkness comes you've got to fly into the light." -Doing What I Can (The song that got me into Lindsey Buckingham)

"I can still hear you saying you would never break the chain" -The Chain (The song that got me into Fleetwood Mac)
Old 12-31-2018, 11:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbBen View Post
This is the end of her smoking period, and the end of her being somewhat wild with her delivery. She sings much more carefully starting with The Dance.
She's a little wild and unpredictable with her singing on "Garbo" at Woodstock '98: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lT0gVF5Jo0

Is there a circulating soundboard recording, or pro-shot video, of a 2001 show?

Last edited by cbBen; 01-01-2019 at 12:35 AM..
Old 01-02-2019, 12:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
I think Street Angel is very underrated. There are so many good songs on it. I wish she would add some of those to her set.