Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-09-2015, 07:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Vito and the Lucky Devils Review

The Chronicle Herald, STEPHEN COOKE ARTS REPORTER August 9, 2015

http://thechronicleherald.ca/artslif...-southern-soul

Vito and the Lucky Devils tear it up at Dutch Mason Blues Festival

[Bonnie Raitt reviewed first]

Given Saturday night’s rainfall, it was much more pleasant experiencing Vito and the Lucky Devils on an indoor stage than it would have been on the Dartmouth waterfront.

The Pennsylvania native and erstwhile Fleetwood Mac guitarist (1987-’91) tore it up with his rhythm section of bassist Charlie Harrison and drummer Rick Reed, playing a mix of T-Bone Walker-style boogie and amped-up rockabilly most appealing to these vintage-music-loving ears.

Cadillac Boogie was a tasty piece of classic jump blues, with Vito swinging his signature white solid body Reverend guitar to and fro, while he highlighted his new CD Mojo on My Side with its cover of Magic Sam’s Easy Baby.

Vito lit the tune’s slow-burning fuse by paying tribute to the late Chicago player’s rough-edged style with powerful runs and libidinous tremolo, with magic and mojo in full effect.

“This next song is Fleetwood Mac’s first hit record,” announced Vito, who was quick to add, “I’m not talking about the Stevie Nicks version, but going back to when it was a blues band with the great guitarist Peter Green.”

With that, he gave a beautiful rendition of the haunting instrumental Albatross, a great example of the unique atmosphere Green — who also famously penned Black Magic Woman — brought to his playing.

Atlanta’s Ellis brought the crowd to its feet with his particular mode of Southern blues, loud and greasy, with a heavy backbeat. He can play it tough and rough on Cut You Loose, or class it up with the slinky To the Devil for a Dime, marked by some screaming wah pedal work.

Wildly expressive, if not exactly subtle, Ellis’s set was highlighted by the Bo Diddley instrumental Detour with some crazy fret tapping and Dick Dale-style string rumbling that would be the highlight of any beach party.

“This is my debut as an arena rocker. I could get used to it!” exclaimed the guitarist, who debuted on Alligator Records in 1988.

“That’s the great thing about the blues; it’s great to play it for 30 people or 30,000.”
Old 08-10-2015, 12:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I certainly hope there were more than 30 people at his show! I've become a big fan of Rick recently. I had several of his albums, but I now I've decided I needed all of them, including his "best of" album. I think his recent work is some of his best. Mojo on My Side is terrific, as is Band Box Boogie. I also like his European- only release Talk that Talk. Rattle Snake Shake is the only album I have yet to get. He's amassed quite amount of solo work.

The Blue Again album he did with the Mick Fleetwood Blues Band is very enjoyable. I have the European edition, which I think is far superior to the US release. It features a bonus disc with four other songs: Albatross, Napili Nocturne, The Supernatural, and La Mer D'Amour.

It's a gatefold package, and has an eight page insert with extensive liner notes and photos. It looks nothing like the effortless US version. The graphic design is so much more creative and cool. It sets a mood that is slick, hip and appealing --an image more indicative of the music.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 08-10-2015 at 12:14 AM..