The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-16-2002, 12:06 AM
Junior Ledgie

Default FM & Red Hot Chili Peppers (review)

from the Miami Herald, Friday, July 12, 2002
first two paragraphs of review for Chili Peppers new cd called By the Way

If the Red Hot Chili Peppers' 1999 CD Californication was its "Hotel California", the new "By The Way" is its "The Long Run".
But that's not a slam. The album might turn off Chili Pepper purists who will complain that its not funky enough, that much of the group's edge and snark has been replaced by accessible polish and perfectionism. By The Way is designed for rapid acceptance, beautifully crafted and performed. With its surprisingly sunny harmonies and bouyant pop hooks, its also the ideal summer rock album.
By The Way wears its influences proudly. There's Mirage-era Fleetwood Mac in the drum pattern and lilting harmonies propelling "Universally Speaking". Anthony Kiedis, often the weakest element on a Peppers disc, is singing better than ever. Pet Sounds-era Beach Boys is unmistakable in the layered pop of "Tear". Playful SKA drives "On Mercury". "Cabron" is a flamenco song, of all things.

the guys have completed their graduation from borderline novelty act to a serious and reliable rock band. There comes a time when a group has to stop acting the adolescent fool - or risk becoming a pathetic joke (Kiss, AC/DC, anyone?) The Peppers understand this and its future has never seemed so assured.

------------------------------

it gave me great pleasure to show this review to my younger friends who never believe me when i tell them that the music they are buying now is a direct result of 70's and early 80's rock bands, especially (LOL, they roll their eyes as i put The Dance back in the cd player) Fleetwood Mac.

have a great day!!!!!!!!!
julie