Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-17-2002, 06:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Smile

It'd have to be Don't Stop. For one, Christine won't be there to perform it......and secondly, but most importantly, it reminds me of someone I don't want to be reminded of anymore.

I agree...... songs they should do are World Turning and Frozen Love!

Don't ever stop doing Rhiannon Stevie! Any way you want to do it is just fine by me!

Joe
Old 06-17-2002, 06:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Joe
Quote:
...I love the "Big Love/Go Insane" thing but where's "Never Going Back Again"???
"Big Love" IS a Fleetwood Mac song. I think "Never Going Back Again" has been played to DEATH! (not that it's not a great song, however) I was OVERJOYED that Lindsey decided against playing it on The Dance tour.

I totally disagree with not playing their solo material, though. A good 1/3-1/2 of the Eagles' set these days are their solo material. They play Henley's "Sunset Grill", "Heart Of The Matter", "End Of The Innocence", etc; Frey's "Smuggler's Blues", "The Heat Is On", etc; Joe Walsh's "Rocky Mountain Way", "Life's Been Good", etc....AS WELL as the group's hits. They play for 3+ hours. And, if the material is good enough, why not?

Let's hear "Trouble", "Wrong", "Countdown", "Shadow Of The West", "Don't Look Down", "HAEWAFY", "Leather & Lace", "Sable On Blonde", "Rooms On Fire", "Maybe Love Will Change Your Mind", "Sorcerer", "Every Day", "Planets Of The Universe", etc.

Now why should Fleetwood Mac have some crappy 90 minute limit on their set? Play for 3-4 hrs...take an intermission or two...play some SONGS people! Let's resurrect some Fleetwood Mac oldies, as well..."Oh Well", "Rattlesnake Shake", "Green Manalishi", "Station Man", "Tell Me All The Things You Do", "Sentimental Lady", "Hypnotized", "Bermuda Triangle"...c'mon, treat the fans right for a change!

For as poorly treated as the average Fleetwood Mac fan has been by this band (taking forever to release new material, playing the same set list tour after tour, releaseing poorly assembled "greatest hits" & box set packages, etc) it's just damned amazing they have even ONE fan left. It's a crying shame the way this band (since 1980, anyway) treats their fans.
Old 06-17-2002, 07:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by chiliD
Joe

Let's resurrect some Fleetwood Mac oldies, as well..."Oh Well", "Rattlesnake Shake", "Green Manalishi", "Station Man", "Tell Me All The Things You Do", "Sentimental Lady", "Hypnotized", "Bermuda Triangle"...c'mon, treat the fans right for a change!

I doubt that you'll hear these, with the only exception MAYBE being "Oh Well." Lindsey has been quoted saying that he does not like performing the others music. And really, say Stevie and Lindsey never came back to the Mac, but in a rare moment, Peter Green did. Would you expect him to sing "Go Your Own Way," or "Rhiannon?"
Old 06-17-2002, 07:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Look, I EXPECT Fleetwood Mac to play Fleetwood Mac songs, regardless of the personnel. They played 'em before, they can play 'em again.

"Wahhh, wahhhh wahhhh, I don't like those old songs, I don't wanna do 'em!" Grow up, Lindsey! Like Mick told him as far back as "Tusk", "either you're IN a band, or you're not", it's not the Lindsey Buckingham show...that's for the solo album & tour...if you join a band with a history, celebrate it's history or don't be in the band.

Did the Doobie Bros stop playing "Listen To The Music" or "China Grove" or "Long Train Runnin'" when Tom Johnston left and Michael McDonald was singing lead? No. Did Yes stop playing "Roundabout" or "Seen All Good People" when Jon Anderson left for those three years? No. Did Deep Purple stop playing "Smoke On The Water" or "Highway Star" when Ian Gillan left and they had the revolving door of lead singers? No. Did Van Halen stop doing "Runnin' With The Devil" or "Jump" or "Panama" when Sammy took over for David Lee? No.

Did Fleetwood Mac stop playing Peter Green's or Danny Kirwan's or Bob Welch's tunes? No, at least not until Lindsey got on his high-horse. Did they still do Lindsey's tunes during his 10 year sabbatical? Yes. Let's hear Mr. Buckingham do Billy's "In The Back Of My Mind" and Dave Mason's "Blow By Blow", while we're at it, as well. When both Stevie & Christine were gone, I DID hear Fleetwood Mac still play "Gold Dust Woman", "Say You Love Me", "Don't Stop", "Dreams", & "You Make Loving Fun".

If Mr. Greenbaum rejoined the band, I'd still expect to hear "Go Your Own Way", yes. I wouldn't expect "Rhiannon", but I'd be all that much more pleased to hear it if they did. Geez, if WAYLON friggin' JENNINGS can do "Rhiannon" & "Gold Dust Woman", I think Peter Green could do killer versions.

For as much as I like Lindsey's, and lesser extent, Stevie's, music and what they brought to Fleetwood Mac's sound, I also think that they killed the basic "spirit" of Fleetwood Mac with their self-centered crap. I WASN"T all that pleased to hear about The Dance reunion...that was the death knell of the band, as far as I'm concerned.
Old 06-17-2002, 07:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up I would just like to see...

a more varied setlist when they do tour...Seems the Mac needs to add some rarely played songs in concert IMO, And that includes songs from the band's past...Brian

PS-I don't recall Van Halen playing "Runnin' With The Devil" much with Hagar, I could be wrong...Kinda ironic that Roth & Hagar are touring together this summer.

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 06-17-2002, 09:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Songs i could live without hearing:

Dreams(if ya can't hit the notes..don't sing it)
Not That Funny( i loathe this song..drives me bananas)
Gypsy(ditto for this song too,as much as i love it)

"I walk on stage, I'm very strong, I'm still pretty cute and I rock." -Stevie Nicks
Old 06-18-2002, 12:13 AM
Ledgie

I have to agree with you guys. They can drop Rhiannon, Dreams, Don't Stop, and Big Love (though I love it).

I wish they would put back World Turning, Green Manalish ( i love Stevie's thing at the end back in '75), Sara, Eyes of the World, and Blue Letter. They should add Frozen Love, Races are Run, Crystal, I Don't want to know, Storms, The Ledge, more stuff from TUSK!

I just hope they change the setlist from date to date to keep everything fresh. Just be spontaneous! That's it

-April
Old 06-18-2002, 07:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Did they still do Lindsey's tunes during his 10 year sabbatical? Yes.
During Tango, BTM, and Time, with the exception being Go Your Own Way, what songs of Lindsey's did they do on stage? Sure, you can argue that World Turning and The Chain were Lindsey's songs, but they were also credited to other members.

My opinion on the matter is that, there is so much great material that both Stevie and Lindsey have, that NEVER get done on stage. Why not do their own tunes? I also have nothing against them throwing in an old tune (Mac, pre-them), or a few of their solo tunes. But, would anyone want to hear Stevie's take on Songbird? *Shudder* Actually, if they want to do one of Chris' songs, how about Stevie doing "Brown Eyes?" I can see that one sounding pretty good.

I think the bottom line to all of this needs to be...JUST RELEASE THE FREAKING ALBUM, AND GO ON TOUR ALREADY! With all the old bands being fairly popular these days, these people could release "Happy Birthday," play it on-stage, and people would go to the show to hear it. Do some old, some new, and MIX it up! It's an almost certainty that they will start with The Chain, and wrap the main part up with GYOW, but please change around the middle somewhat.
Old 06-18-2002, 07:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

They resurrected "Don't Let Me Down Again" after 12 years of NOT performing it.

True, there are plenty of Stevie & Lindsey tunes that haven't been done...but there's a MAJOR sector of Fleetwood Mac tunes that haven't been done, as well...and we ARE talking about FLEETWOOD MAC, not Lindsey or Stevie themselves. IF they continue to ignore the legacy of the band itself, they MIGHT AS WELL go under the moniker "Buckingham Nicks" and let Fleetwood Mac die a savage, lonely death.
Old 06-18-2002, 07:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Most of this thread has been a soundboard blueprint of my last 15 years..... very cool, all of it.

I think I'd drop dead if FM did a tour that had some inspiration in it, instead of the "greatest hits" dreck they've been doing forever.

I know of so many artists out there that do different set lists every night of their tour, change it weekly, or at least do different legs comprised of rotated material.

Why not Fleetwood Mac???

All of the band members spent months and months and months recording these songs- they can surely remember them enough to play them live. And if they're not good enough to play live then why the hell were they on the album to begin with??? I admit, looking back on material can make one cringe sometimes- but come on FM!

Bare Trees, Green Manalishi, Hypnotized, Sentimental Lady, Races Are Run, Frozen Love, Crystal, The Dealer, Storms, Beautiful Child, Save Me A Place, That's All For Everyone, Never Forget, Hard Feelings, Only Over You, Over and Over....

And on, and on, and on.....

They have such a wealth of material. They are such dynamic performers. I wish the two would meet every once in awhile.

And DAMMIT, Stevie, do Sara again before you get to old and retire....
Old 06-18-2002, 08:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I For as much as I like Lindsey's, and lesser extent, Stevie's, music and what they brought to Fleetwood Mac's sound, I also think that they killed the basic "spirit" of Fleetwood Mac with their self-centered crap.
Peter told me personally last year that he would not join Fleetwood Mac again on stage, even as a guest because they are too commercial. From his expression at the time I felt Peter thought they had "sold out" as a group. When I mentioned to him the amount of work he has put out in the last few years compared to the "current" Mac I got a wry grin!

If Fleetwood Mac do not lean heavily on the new songs on this tour and instead settle for a greatest "rumours" hits set list I will be seriously dissapointed.
Old 06-19-2002, 04:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I pretty much agree with "personally" wanting Fleetwood Mac to shake it up a bit and do some of the songs you never get to hear live. As far as I'm concerned they could do the concert with new stuff, rarities, and a few good standbys(Rhiannon and Go Your own Way).

But from a different perspective I think about the general Fleetwood Mac "fan"...not a diehard like most of us on this board.
I would think they would want to hear mostly the classic FM songs...the ones they're familiar with hearing on the radio.

As far as Stevie and Lindsey doing Mac songs from other writers that "used" to be in the band...yeah that would be cool, but they do have such a wealth of material themselves they could do, that would be just as great to hear.

Some have said that as long as Mick and John are in the band it will always be Fleetwood Mac...no matter who's up front or what songs they are performing?!

Joe
Old 06-19-2002, 08:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default My Choices

I would definetely want Tusk dropped...im not fond of that song...I disagree with some tho, Gypsy is my all time fav. song and hope its not dropped...id like to see sara, sisters of the moon live...and i love those old classics like dreams, and rhiannon so...maybe thats cuz ive only been listenin to Stevie for about 4 years...so they arent that old to me...

Frozen love would be good too!

I could do without Bleed to love her...and go insane..
Old 06-20-2002, 11:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I am all for mixing it up a bit!!
There are some songs that just HAVE to be left in a Fleetwood Mac setlist--Go Your Own Way, I'm So Afraid, Dreams, Landslide, Gypsy, The Chain--but the rest don't.......I absolutely hope they change this setlist around (maybe not every night, because I know I would get mad if they did a song that I really wanted to hear during the concert the night before, then when they performed for the concert I was attending, to have that song dropped, I would be devastated!!), but maybe every couple weeks, or even if they just bring in the rare songs we don't get to hear or haven't heard in a while & plenty of new stuff and leave the setlist like that.
But to add to all this, keep in mind that there are some songs that sound great on the albums, and we wish the band would do them live, but when done live on stage they don't sound all that good (ie: Second Hand News--please lose that one live!!!!!) or just don't transfer to the stage well.
I don't know, I just hope they play around with these songs a little more--there's so much to choose from!!!
And there is NO NEED at all to do any solo songs, none! It's a Fleetwood Mac concert!! If you want Stand Back, HAEWAFY, Edge of 17, etc., go to a Stevie Nicks concert. If you want Trouble, Go Insane, Soul Drifter, etc., go to a Lindsey Buckingham concert. (Ok, I know those are non-existant, don't shoot me for it, you know the point I'm trying to make here!!). Lose those too, Mac!!! You've got plenty of great stuff as a BAND to last the whole night and through the next day too!!!!!

Stephanie

He fell for her again...she watched it happen...every day...day by day...but MORE important...NIGHT BY NIGHT!!--Thrown Down
Old 06-20-2002, 10:55 PM
Ledgie

Cool

Hey guys,

Okay, yeah, I'm getting a bit tired of the usual suspects (Rhiannon, Dreams, GYOW, I'm So Afraid, Landslide), but I know they have to be kept in for the "casual" fans. Don't get me wrong - I love those songs - but personally, they've been a bit overplayed...you hear them in every Mac concert, and they all (with the exception of I'm So Afraid) still get MAJOR radio play. I'm dying to hear some rarities, especially those which would make the most of the Stevie/Lindsey harmonies and be more "guitar" oriented. I think we'll all be missing Christine enough, so sticking to songs that had less obvious Chris harmonies and keyboards might be the way to go.

Some "rarer" songs that I think would be GREAT to hear would be Crystal, Monday Morning, Blue Letter, Storms, I Don't Want To Know, Eyes of the World, Save Me a Place, Angel, Seven Wonders (although it's a bit out of Stevie's range now, unless they'd drop the key a bit), acoustic Big Love with Stevie doing backup harmony, and Second Hand News (which I thought sounded AWESOME live in Pittsburgh on The Dance tour, Stephanie! ). I think all of those songs would really showcase the S/L harmonies, and they're all fairly guitar-driven. Of course, anything from the Buckingham Nicks era would be awesome, especially tunes like Without You, Frozen Love, Without a Leg to Stand On, Races are Run, etc. I suppose they'll have to do a few new songs , but wouldn't a couple of cover tunes be cool? I think Lindsey and Stevie could do an awesome cover of the Stones' "Honkey Tonk Women," don't you? Or how 'bout Elvis' "Suspicious Minds?" Good harmony, nice guitar, and hey, the lyrics might bring back some memories for them! Hehehe. I think sometimes Stevie relaxes and rocks out a lot more on OTHER people's songs; she really seems to enjoy those performances. Oooh, and since Lindsey has done George Harrison's "Here Comes the Sun," what if they did a cover of his song "What is Life?" That would be good, too...nice little rocker, good harmony, guitar, in their vocal ranges. Oh well, I'm babbling on about stuff that they'll never even consider anyway, so what's the point...

One song they could leave out for me - Not That Funny. To me, the song is "not that great," aside from Lindsey's orgasm sounds. And hey, if I want to hear those, I'll fly to CA and hide in the bushes under his bedroom window some night...

Lori