Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-04-2014, 09:36 AM
Junior Ledgie

Default Wendy Welch

While it appears that Wendy's post may have been offensive to some, or at very least one as evidenced by her banishment from this site, I certainly can not agree with the decision to ban her from future posts.

Wendy is someone who is posting from the viewpoint of an "insider" , meaning that she, among all of us (or almost all, as I m not 100 percent sure) has insider information, having had countless encounters , conversations, and interactions with many Fleetwood Mac members. And I would say ,as Bob Welch's wife, that she had most likely been filled in on the many conversations and goings on that she did not hear first hand. So I would say that her information and viewpoint should not only be tolerated, it should be welcomed. And given the RRHOF situation, one could say that she has more of a bona fide reason to post than all of us.

The banning seems excessive. I am sure that Wendy would be approachable and reasonable enough to post within the guidelines and parameters of this board if asked to do so.

Regarding RRHOF, I would say that to state that, Wendy, or the many supporters of Bob Welch are in support of a conspiracy theory ,would be incorrect. There is no "theory" ,he was left out the RRHOF by someone's deliberate doing. The reason and motivation is and was transparent. As far as the "conspiracy " part, I believe it may meet the criteria.Thank you
Old 04-04-2014, 09:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
The banning seems excessive. I am sure that Wendy would be approachable and reasonable enough to post within the guidelines and parameters of this board if asked to do so.
If this were the case she would not have been banned.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori40 View Post
Why ban Wendy when she is one of the few members of the ledge who actually know FM band members, past and present? Many people on here think they know FM members because they went to a Mick meet and greet or hung out at venues show after show and got a few words and a photo with Lindsey. Why doesn't Wendy get to share her insights and opinions about band members when she has more credibility than most everyone else here does?
See the penguins reason for banning earlier in this thread. Doesn't matter who you are personal attacks aren't ok. Anyway I think wendy did more harm to bob's legacy in the short time she was here than mick fleetwood ever has. Which is sad because it was the opposite of what she was trying to do.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicepace View Post
If there is a way to do this, maybe her posts could be screened by a moderator before they go public on the board. This would be like putting her "on probation." That seems like a more appropriate response than banning her altogether.
Unfortunately this is not something our board software is capable of. Even if it were, we have over 4,600 members now. So screening people individually like this would not be an option, even if we did have the software capability (which we do not).

It is worth noting we have several Ledge members who fall under the "insider" umbrella. These include past & present band members, producers, their spouses/relatives, etc. None receive special treatment, and our board rules are applicable to all members- regardless of their stature.
Old 04-04-2014, 11:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm really saddened by what's happened, but from what I can make out, and with a great deal of regret, I think the right decision has been taken. There's a legal question at stake and you can't leave yourself or the site owners open to possible action. There's been quite enough of that sort of thing happening in the UK.

I'm sure none of this will stop us having Bob and Wendy very much in our thoughts.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think everybody here feel sorry for Wendy Welch and wish her all the best.

I am really glad that the administrator and several moderators are involved in this case (ThePenguin, WildHearted, louielouie2000 and perhaps others too)
So let's trust that this case is being handeled the right way.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I absolutely agree with this decision. In fact, I hate the mentality that if someone is an "insider" they should be allowed to do whatever they want.

It's that sense of entitlement that leads to celebrities... and their family members... feeling free to engage in all sorts of misconduct. They are surrounded by sycophants so desperate to be close to an "insider" that they'll let them get away with murder.

"How dare you treat me that way! Don't you know who I am?!" That attitude doesn't work with me.

Last edited by sodascouts; 04-04-2014 at 12:35 PM..
Old 04-04-2014, 04:31 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicepace View Post
Banning Wendy altogether seems too harsh. Given her special status as the spouse of a deceased band member, she has a point of view and insight that is unique, and should be valued by our fan community. I'm not sure that she always posts "the truth," but I am sure she always states her opinion.
Quote:
So I would say that her information and viewpoint should not only be tolerated, it should be welcomed. And given the RRHOF situation, one could say that she has more of a bona fide reason to post than all of us. The banning seems excessive. I am sure that Wendy would be approachable and reasonable enough to post within the guidelines and parameters of this board if asked to do so.
This all would be totally accurate and welcomed, if Wendy had acted like a rational human being whilst here on The Ledge. Every post was borderline slanderous (if not fully) and negative in nearly every sense of the word. Everyone should understand that we gave Wendy plenty of opportunity to amend things; to slow down, to take it easy, whatever. When people get banned, we realize it's a shock to everyone. It's a shock to us half the time. You all should know that banning is not an easy decision to come to, but when someone is given three, four, five (or more) strikes... we can't allow that to continue. Especially when the law is being broken.

Last edited by mylittledemon; 04-04-2014 at 05:41 PM..
Old 04-04-2014, 06:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

my two cents...

Since there seems to be relatively few insiders here I can't imagine it
being overwhelming to check on their post frequently and delete them
if needed. Possibly legally necessary for The Ledge if they're defamatory.

And most especially in this section of the Ledge where there are few and
infrequent posts. Maybe another moderator could be added to make sure
no shenanigans were going on like some silly person posting things like April
Fools' jokes that seemingly upset so many people. And no, I don't want to be
a moderator.

If Wendy is who she says she is (has that been verified?), she seems to need
professional help. Coping with Bob's death and everything that came after
seems to have been more than she can handle on her own. Maybe The Ledge
could help in her recovery.

People who know and actually have worked with the members of Fleetwood
Mac aren't necessarily special or more important than the rest of us. But the
insight they offer is special and for that purpose they shouldn't be permanently
banned.

That was more than two cents worth.

Last edited by iamnotafraid; 04-04-2014 at 06:47 PM..
Old 04-04-2014, 07:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotafraid View Post
Coping with Bob's death and everything that came after
seems to have been more than she can handle on her own. Maybe The Ledge
could help in her recovery.
Or maybe spending time her was preventing her from getting real help. Internet forums are no place for treatment of any kind. I often felt like she wanted us to validate her anger at other FM members, and if you didn't completely buy into what she was saying, that just seemed to fuel her more, which isn't good for her. Not long ago in one of her rants, she said Christine resented Bob for selling more solo albums than her, and that's why she blocked him from the RRHOF. I didn't understand why this new "reason" suddenly emerged after so many other messages on the same topic, and obviously it made no sense (wouldn't she resent Stevie even more?). That's when I decided she's just mad at the world and wants us to be too. I feel very bad for what she's going though, but we can't really give her the help she needs.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotafraid View Post

And most especially in this section of the Ledge where there are few and
infrequent posts. Maybe another moderator could be added to make sure
no shenanigans were going on like some silly person posting things like April
Fools' jokes that seemingly upset so many people. And no, I don't want to be
a moderator.
I don't think it's worthwhile to use a moderator for that purpose. As for your post, I think it came out about two days ahead of April Fools.

Regarding Wendy, she did not want to be moderated. She demanded to have the removal of her post reversed and if it wasn't she promised that her and "Bob's friends" would publicly expose this site as being in support of child molestation. Of course, she can expose the site as anything she wants -- on her Facebook page, which is also where I think she can find the most cathartic relief for her grief, if relief can be found online at all.

Michele
Old 04-04-2014, 09:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
While it appears that Wendy's post may have been offensive to some, or at very least one as evidenced by her banishment from this site, I certainly can not agree with the decision to ban her from future posts.

Wendy is someone who is posting from the viewpoint of an "insider" , meaning that she, among all of us (or almost all, as I m not 100 percent sure) has insider information, having had countless encounters , conversations, and interactions with many Fleetwood Mac members. you

Well there's FM77 who seems VERY close to the band. I'm not ever gonna ask who but they often talk in terms of speaking with members of the current line up, Stevie in particular.

He Will Burn You Down
Old 04-04-2014, 09:38 PM

If I were running a board and someone accused me of supporting child molestation, they'd be gone. Done, end of story. Bye.

It's just way beyond the scope of what's right and wrong. You want to go off on the deep end, then start your own message board and do it there.

I've been on this board for a very long time and I've never even got a whiff that anyone here was against Bob Welch. There are people that get very angry if you don't have Stevie and Lindsey married, and/or making imaginary albums together. But other than that, the Bob Welch fans have been relatively sane and in check with reality.

I don't doubt that Christine had problems with Bob. But I certainly am not going to trust someone that sounds off like Fox News and uses every single possible angle to make a point to crucify her. Then crucify her bandmates, her fans, and now the person that owns the board. I found she even got upset when you agreed with her.

This is a common sense move to me.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
She demanded to have the removal of her post reversed and if it wasn't she promised that her and "Bob's friends" would publicly expose this site as being in support of child molestation. Michele
Who are we to know what people on this site get up to when they aren't sitting on their computer? Just because allegations have been made against someone, they haven't ever been tested in a court of law, so surely the presumption of innocence prevails?
Old 04-04-2014, 09:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I've been on this board for a very long time and I've never even got a whiff that anyone here was against Bob Welch.
In fact we are often the ones who try to keep Bob's legacy alive by reminding people of how great he was. We are the ones that have bought the albums, not just of the FM era but his solo albums as well. There are a lot of pro-Bob Welch people here that were here before all of the Wendy worshippers joined or tried to join.