User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-17-2018, 12:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn View Post
The response will come in the ad libs at the end of Gold Dust Woman, maybe even tonight. [IMG][/IMG]
I see everyone speculating that these ad-libs are a message to LB, but she’s been singing them at the end of GDW for years
Old 11-17-2018, 05:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn View Post
The response will come in the ad libs at the end of Gold Dust Woman, maybe even tonight. [IMG][/IMG]
Yeah because she's a bitter old hag. He was classy....she got him fired.
Old 11-17-2018, 06:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenstein View Post
I see everyone speculating that these ad-libs are a message to LB, but she’s been singing them at the end of GDW for years
Lol right? She's done things like that for lots of songs throughout the years. And even if it was a "response" what is it even supposed to mean lmao.
Old 11-17-2018, 06:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
Lol right? She's done things like that for lots of songs throughout the years. And even if it was a "response" what is it even supposed to mean lmao.
She's been ad libbing this song, and many others for years. She has no problem tossing out a dedication when the mood suits her. Methinks folks are reading into this iteration a bit too much. But I guess if it suits the narrative one is trying to spin, so be it....?........
Old 11-18-2018, 06:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Here it is folks.

https://youtu.be/CqL2Httbryw
Lindsey Buckingham - Shut Us Down - Live in Alabama November 12, 2018

Found through Twitter.
It doesn't include the speech at the start, or the couple of lines of the song.
Old 11-18-2018, 12:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo View Post
Here it is folks.

https://youtu.be/CqL2Httbryw
Lindsey Buckingham - Shut Us Down - Live in Alabama November 12, 2018

Found through Twitter.
It doesn't include the speech at the start, or the couple of lines of the song.
yeah that one is somewhere up here shared already. as is the video of his speech (without the last line of the speech):
Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
here is a video of 99.9% of the Shut Us Down dedication (yay!) -

https://www.facebook.com/esknight/vi...7871813059863/
come on man - we are anxiously awaiting your review!! how was it? i've heard that Birmingham got Rodeo thanks to you?!

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 11-18-2018, 08:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Oh, that's great that the speech was recorded.
Yes, he finished the speech and then returned to the mic to say that "maybe, just maybe" he'd like to dedicate the song to Stevie.

You'll have to wait a bit for my review--I'm like Lindsey with his perfectionism and time-taking. I think it might be you who I have to thank for getting DOR played, though. Thank you so much for your advocacy on Twitter!
Old 11-18-2018, 10:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storms123 View Post
She's been ad libbing this song, and many others for years. She has no problem tossing out a dedication when the mood suits her. Methinks folks are reading into this iteration a bit too much. But I guess if it suits the narrative one is trying to spin, so be it....?........
There was that time in 1990 when she belted out (to Mick obviously, because that's who she hated that time.. ) "take your silver SPRINGS....and dig your grave!"

But these current ad libs have been around a while. I'm with you but I suppose it's entirely possible she was singing them for the last few tours with the intent of Lindsey having to suck it up and play through it similar to the 1990 silver springs wahhhhhh-fest.
Old 11-18-2018, 11:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmn3 View Post
There was that time in 1990 when she belted out (to Mick obviously, because that's who she hated that time.. ) "take your silver SPRINGS....and dig your grave!"

But these current ad libs have been around a while. I'm with you but I suppose it's entirely possible she was singing them for the last few tours with the intent of Lindsey having to suck it up and play through it similar to the 1990 silver springs wahhhhhh-fest.
That is hilarious. I love that!
Old 11-23-2018, 01:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Review (Side A)

Posting the first half of my review today as a Thanksgiving to all my North American friends here.

The trip.

I live in Tokyo. I took one week off work and travelled on a direct flight to the Empire State, appropriately watching LBJ on the way over. After two days in the Big Apple (which was just enough!), it was back to JFK Airport for my flights down to the southern states (where I had heard rumor that a talented young musician by the name of Buckingham was touring..).

There I was, sitting at the airport gate at 4:30 am on the day of the concert, thinking about the day ahead and filled with uncertainty about all the unknowns (Would the flights be on time? Would I survive driving on the wrong side of the road? Would I find the way without GPS? Would I make it in time for the concert? Would I get on well with the fans I was meeting? Would the jetlag hold off until after the concert?)--and then I hear a familiar synthesizer sound playing through the airport concourse: it was Seven Wonders. An encouraging omen!

On the flight from NYC to Charlotte, I watched a documentary called Three Identical Strangers--about triplets who were separated at birth and later reunited. Now, I was jetlagged and sleep-deprived and it was 5 am at 35,000 feet, with plans to see a Lindsey Buckingham concert later that very same day, but I swear that the triplets looked like a young Lindsey!

Bluegrass country

From Memphis it was driving. Not only had I never driven on right side of road before, there was heavy rain and very poor visibility. Being unfamiliar with sitting on the left seat of the car, I was constantly veering to the right shoulder of the road.

After a brief stopover at The Mississippi Museum Of Fleetwood Mac Memorabilia (owned and operated by a megafan who even has expert commentary published in literature on the subject) (NB: "museum" closed to the general public! :-)), three of us fans embarked on a road trip to the concert!

The venue.

The venue--a restored old concert hall in downtown Birmingham called the Lyric Theatre--was gorgeous. Buckingham Nicks had performed there back in the day.

It was rainy for pretty much the whole 24 hours I was down Dixie way, and before they let us in for the Meet and Greet we were all locked outside the venue in the wet and cold, peering in through the glass to where the tour and venue personnel were standing around in the warm and spacious foyer inside. It was a most unbecoming experience for a so-called VIP package, but each venue is different I guess.

The merchandise was fun to get. Some of the notebooks were in slightly poor repair--sizeable dents in the faux-leather covers, etc. I picked up a signed copy of the 3-CD Anthology. But because it’s a cardboard case, there was nothing to protect the signed cover. And the merch seller didn’t have anything to offer except a bunch of napkins, which I gladly accepted! So that was the crown in my VIP cake--”deluxe napkin wrapping” for a signed CD! I also ended up getting the LB tote bag (justified it as a means of transporting the merch).

Meet and greet.

The theatre was incredibly similar in scale, layout and design to the Majestic Theatre on Broadway, where I’d just seen The Phantom Of The Opera two days prior. And here I was about to see another tortured musical genius who crafts beautiful music for a backstabbing diva!

Standing in line for the meet and greet, we were positioned behind the backing screen against which the photos are taken. The result was that Lindsey’s silhouette was projected onto the screen for us to watch while we waited for our turn. It was quite entertaining. He may be stone-faced and still in the photos, but watching him between snaps was like watching Indonesian shadow puppet theatre--a lithe, gesturing, cavorting silhouette.

We were near the end of the line. As our turns came closer, we got to hear some of what Lindsey was saying to the other meet and greeters. It was difficult to pay full attention because we were also anxious about our own impending minute with him. But I caught the tail end of one conversation. Lindsey was saying to one of the fans, “...Well it’s about motivating people. I was thinking we’d do a reunion… But people weren’t interested… Well, certain people.”

(to be continued on Side B)
(Disclaimer in advance--regrettably I didn't take any notes during the concert so I don't have much in the way of song-by-song commentary.)

Last edited by DownOnRodeo; 11-23-2018 at 01:33 AM..
Old 11-23-2018, 05:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Review (Side B)

Lest I never get around to it, here is the rest of the review as well!

Moment with Lindsey.

Knowing that the ladies I was with would be dressed to kill, I did my best too and bought a suave leather jacket on sale at Macy’s in NYC. I’d like to think I nailed the “Lindsey look”--or a close approximation thereof.

When it was my turn, I stepped forward and said, “Hey, man.” (I’d decided to start with his language--Californianese.) I went on to say that I live in Japan but had travelled here to the Birmingham show. (According to my friend, at this juncture Lindsey said “Wow, you came from Japan? Thank you!”--but I was too focused on my own spiel to remember that myself.) I told him that I had been vacillating about whether to do the trip, but had heard that he was playing Down On Rodeo in the setlist, and saw that he had posted on Twitter that the meaning of the song was about taking the plunge, so I decided to do it. At this point Lindsey said, “Which song?” (Which was doubly funny, because I’d spent the entire road trip to the venue coaching my friend on how to enunciate her favorite song title more clearly when she mentioned it to him. I should have been rehearsing how to say “Down On Rodeo” clearly!) Who knows how I pronounced it--"Dorritos", probably. But he heard it on my second attempt. He laughed and said, “Well.. that’s what I think the song means.” (The subtext in his demeanour when he said this seemed to be, “You’re free to enjoy the songs as your own!”)

We had our standard photo taken. Then I asked the photographer if we could take one more. I said to Lindsey, “Can we do this?” and I held up my hands in that “namaste” position he puts them in sometimes. He was laughing with surprise and was like, “What? I do that?”

“Yeah, like when you talk,” I said. He was apparently laughing pretty much all the time before and after the photo was taken--and sure enough in the second photo he is somewhat smiling. BUT stupid me had on my Lindsey Face! What was I thinking? Also my “prayer hands” were all askew! (In retrospect, I had meant to rehearse the pose more in advance but then forgot all about it.) So it’s probably not the most shareable pic unfortunately; although Lindsey came out great in it. I hung around and got a group pic with Lindsey and my two fellow fans as well.

Before the concert.

It was difficult to find any restaurants in downtown Birmingham open past 6pm on a Monday night. We ended up finding a nearby place that Google Maps claimed offered “comfort food”--which turned out to be inauthentic Japanese gourmet finger food… hardly comfort food for me, and certainly not for the US locals accompanying me! It was a fun twist in the evening though. In the end we fared better at the venue’s bar, grabbing a drink to take into the show. By that point, J.S.’s set was half over. He had an eerily terrific voice. I’d only just re-read To Kill A Mockingbird before doing this trip--in that context, watching J.S. perform here in command of the audience and get a rousing reception was meaningful.

Am I the only one who would have really liked J.S. to come back on stage for just one of the Lindsey songs and join in on the vocals? (Say, the Stevie harmonies on I’m So Afraid?) I mean, he’s there. I think it would be a nice gesture from Lindsey and lend a nice coherence to the evening.

Lindsey sings.

There was a bubbly fan from Genoa, Italy sitting next to me who had been to about three shows already and was probably going to the next one as well. It was reassuring that I wasn’t the only one who had made such a big trip out if this tour. If you ever wonder who is the random person who yelps out during the quietest moment of an acoustic song--it is this person. Lol But she was lovely, and her enthusiasm was infectious. I was lucky to be seated next to her.

I think this was one of the most perfect concerts to go to out of this tour in terms of Lindsey’s voice. It was right in the middle of the tour, so he knew exactly what he was doing. But it was the first concert after a few days’ break, so his voice was in top form. I mean, really--he LANDED every note strong and full. I saw an otherwise positive local review that suggested he didn’t always have full voice strength or something. That guy must have been at a different concert. I was blown away by every note Lindsey sang. IMO, better than any of his live recordings post-The Dance.

It also made me think that he must have improved his technique in recent years, or even this year. He seemed to strategically inhale a lot of air through his nose, like the swimmer he is, right before songs and at certain key points during them. It worked. Also, all the backing sampling etc. seems to allow him to focus on voice quality rather than always doing everything at once--a bit closer to like Stevie has the luxury of doing when she performs. But Stevie doesn’t sound as good and strong as this for 21 songs in a row, even with her 3 days off between shows.

And then all the color. There were so many places where he had just the right vibrato, just the right accent, just the right ending note. As examples, look no further than the videos posted in this thread.

Also, this was the first concert after the mid-terms, so I figure that the Dem victory in the House must have given him some extra good vibes, considering the campaigning he’d done on that front.

Lindsey plays.

I’ve always wondered how Lindsey’s fingers can sustain such playing.

Something I did notice during Not Too Late, from my front row, right side vantage, was that (in my opinion) some sort of support/backing track is being used on the constant fingerpicking part in Not Too Late, such that he can better focus on landing those chorus vocals, and to give his fingers a bit of a break. BUT it was definitely him playing the guitar at the end of the song, so either way I imagine that it’s a mix of both. Let’s face it--the guitar on that song is insane; so if he’s doing that as well as Big Love etc. night after night, the man would have no fingers left. Then there’s also his age. Meanwhile, my friend who was also in front row didn’t necessarily agree with my theory anyway.

Big, busy bass.

They really found a way to bring all these solo songs to life. The drummer was great but Frederico on bass was a revelation to me. Because I was front row I felt a lot of eye contact with Lindsey (even if it was my imagination--after all, he can’t really see the audience most of the time, I imagine), and for some reason I began to feel like that airplane pilot in Seinfeld who sits in the audience during Jerry’s set and freaks him out.

Searching for somewhere else to rest my eyes, I found a goldmine in Frederico. It was so much fun to watch him play the bass parts on many of the songs--especially on the chorus of I Must Go, the one redeeming feature for me of that otherwise endlessly repetitive song. Honestly, how does Lindsey even keep track of how many “I must gos” he’s meant to be singing? Clearly there is some kind of arcane logic to that song that makes perfect sense to him, but not me.

Shut Us Down.

As widely reported, this song was a standout among standouts, particularly in the context of the Buckingham Nicks speech and Stevie dedication he preceded it with.

Sodascouts mentions in her review that she thinks he was tearing up a bit at the start of this. I just thought he was doing his air intaking thing through his nose, but she might very well be right! I like how the “as long as I can” parts have been shortened just slightly, to better match lung capacity.

The Alabama crowd.

There was a good mix in the audience, although generally skewing older. Which was brilliant, because it felt so significant to be here at a Lindsey concert with these people who had likely been following him from before Fleetwood Mac. Sure enough, when Lindsey did his Buckingham Nicks and Alabama talk before Shut Us Down, he called out to those older fans in the audience, and I looked across and saw a bunch of them hollering back at him. I felt transported back across the years. I could see they were the same people as when they were young--the magic of music.

One of them, who was also in front of me in line at the meet and greet, was a veritable Lindsey lookalike--with the 2000s Lindsey hair, leather jacket and all. In fact, it’s the guy that Elle quoted from Twitter in this thread! It would have been fascinating to hang out with some of these people if there had been more time after the show--for example, if the meet and greet had been after the show.

The security.

So this venue had a good cop, bad cop thing going on with the security guards. Both were sitting on chairs with their backs to the stage, facing the front row of the audience. They were not way off to the side--they were quite a few seats in. One was frequently turning around to watch the show, and was thumping his leg along with the music and really enjoying it. The other one, however, looked highly disinterested and was chewing gum with a surly, bored look. He was right in my line of sight--not blocking my view per se, but very much in the corner of my eye. But more to the point, I was definitely in his line of sight, and it was a real wet blanket effect feeling monitored that way.

Clearly I wasn’t the only one who felt the dampening effect of their presence, because only about three isolated individuals stood up during Tusk/GYOW (one of which, the bubbly Genovese next to me, was told by a person behind her to sit down halfway through). It was VERY weird to be sitting during Tusk and GYOW--not because I go to heaps of shows and am used to people standing during those songs; just because the songs make you want to stand and move!
I’m fairly tall and I have a big of a complex about standing up in front of others (even sitting in front of others), although on the Say You Will tour the stage was much higher so it wasn’t an issue at all.

Once the encores started, a brave megafan in the front row took the lead and went to the stage--after which everyone followed (it felt like the whole first floor was at the stage). What’s more, neither of the security guys displayed any concern whatsoever. They just sat where they’d been sitting the whole time, now surrounded by standing fans. Before he began singing the first encore, Lindsey says with puzzled irony, “Oh, so now you’re allowed up front!” But I felt a bit weird that now we were all standing for what are fairly soft encore songs, especially given that we’d been sitting through the likes of Tusk. And I think that Lindsey was also laughing and shaking his head about the fact that we had been seated for the rockers and were standing for the ballads.

Check out the recording of Big Love from this concert, posted above in this thread. That’s my head down in front row! (There I am caught on camera sneaking a drink at the start of Big Love; a local cocktail called a “Birmingham Mule”, in fact.) And you can also see the “wet blanket” security guard sitting right in front of me...

After the music ended...

As has been reported, DownOnRodeo got his Down On Rodeo. And although Lindsey thankfully seems to have now added it back into the setlist somewhat permanently, the Birmingham show was right between a number of shows at which he did not play it, so I can’t help but feel that it was a close call. It was only later that I saw some Tweets by elle and wondergirl (Christy) trying to advertise my little story to Lindsey (and Kristen!), so if the decision to include Rodeo that night had anything at all to do with my being there, I most likely have those two to thank!

Lindsey introduced Brett as “the guy who knows where all the bodies are buried”--not sure if that’s his standard patter. Brett made a funny throat-cutting and eye-rolling gesture, ie that Lindsey should stop talking.

After the Southern sojourn, my trip continued to New England--four days in New Haven, Plymouth and Boston. The cashier at a Boston bookstore noticed my suitcase and asked me if I was coming or going. I told her where I’d been that week and she said that I’d probably seen more of the US than she. Later, at the pizza restaurant across the road from the bookstore, the “Psychemagik” remix of Dreams was playing over the soundsystem.

A new cycle.

For me, at this juncture, Fleetwood Mac is just one of the bands that Lindsey Buckingham has been in in the past, along with Fritz and Buckingham Nicks. Fleetwood Mac’s appeal is to me now diluted beyond all recognition, while that of Lindsey Buckingham is now more distilled and concentrated than ever before. You can have all the bluesy, hippie pre-Rumours Fleetwood Mac you like; for me, Lindsey brought the sensibility that I most like about the band’s music. And now he’s given us so much, much more in these past two decades--both with that band and solo.

Now, even without dipping very far at all into his Fleetwood Mac catalogue, he has a large enough body of work--from the past, and hopefully the future--that can stand, run, and jump on its own. And so can he--along with his latest, groovy band!

Last edited by DownOnRodeo; 11-23-2018 at 05:04 AM..
Old 11-23-2018, 12:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wow so looking forward to reading this DownOnRodeo. And he did Rodeo because you told him about your love for it and traveling from Japan. I have no doubt about it. We did Twitter campaign for other shows too but he specifically did it at you show!

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 11-23-2018, 07:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Forgot to mention--After a lengthy discussion with fellow fans, it was agreed that the theory that Lindsey wrote I Don't Want To Know was "without a leg to stand on," so I decided not to ask Lindsey about it during the meet and greet (plus, I didn't really want to be asking a Stevie-related question anyway).

While we were flank to flank looking at the camera getting our photo taken, I said quietly to Lindsey, "Thank you for your work." Emotions were high in that moment so that's all that came out, lol. Wish now that I'd said a bit more along those lines, but I guess he's heard it all before anyway. (Or, after a life of rocking and recording he probably has poor hearing, he may not have even heard me at all ).
Old 11-24-2018, 11:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo View Post
Forgot to mention--After a lengthy discussion with fellow fans, it was agreed that the theory that Lindsey wrote I Don't Want To Know was "without a leg to stand on," so I decided not to ask Lindsey about it during the meet and greet (plus, I didn't really want to be asking a Stevie-related question anyway).

While we were flank to flank looking at the camera getting our photo taken, I said quietly to Lindsey, "Thank you for your work." Emotions were high in that moment so that's all that came out, lol. Wish now that I'd said a bit more along those lines, but I guess he's heard it all before anyway. (Or, after a life of rocking and recording he probably has poor hearing, he may not have even heard me at all ).
Sat down with a hot tea, and my iPad to read your review Joe.
Absolutely loved every minute of it. It was like going to the concert with you.
Thank you.
Old 11-24-2018, 12:52 PM
Senior Ledgie

I am late reading this, but this is incredibly powerful... just wow... I am tearing up reading it all. I wish I'd managed to score tickets to this show (I tried!). I attended Chattanooga the following night instead (and it was a great show but no mention of FM or Stevie, of course, and not the same level of personal emotion, it seems).

I am continuously amazed at how classy he has been through this shocking situation. Such immense betrayal and yet he hasn't bitten back. It breaks my heart for him after all his contributions and getting her into the band to start.

I used to love Stevie but after this, I just can't find much affection for her anymore. This is just me rambling but I think comparing her solo work to her songs in FM reveals a lot about her abilities. Her solo work (to me) just cannot compare to her gems on FM albums. And the reason is, of course, that Lindsey and numerous other musicians and producers elevated her poems into incredible, masterful works of art. However she doesn't have those same helping hands on her solo albums, and it shows. I never, and I sincerely mean NEVER, want to listen to any of her solo work. I do however listen to Lindsey's frequently.

Such a sad situation but I'm glad he's making the most of it. I will be back when the small machine comes back through.

Thanks again to all for the details and reviews of this moment and show.