User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-08-2014, 09:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Why the disdain for Mick?

A lot posts portray Mick in a negative manner, as a heartless "cash grabber."
This seems a bit unfair. All the band members have enjoyed financial wealth from their success. Having lived most of their lives in a higher standard, you can't blame them for wanting to maintain that standard. That is not greed to me.

Unlike the writers in the band, Mick does not get revenue on song royalties. I assume most of his income comes from touring. If you were in his position, wouldn't in be your best interests to keep your job, i.e. keep the band active?

Mick genuinely loves and respects the legacy of Fleetwood Mac. One thing to remember: the music industry is big business. Mick, more than anyone else in the band, is a business man. Instead of castigating him, how about thanking and praising him for being the catalyst that has kept the band together all these years, depsite huge upheavals and challenges?

Last edited by PenguinHead; 02-08-2014 at 09:39 PM..
Old 02-08-2014, 09:16 PM
PenguinHead
This message has been deleted by PenguinHead. Reason: double post
Old 02-08-2014, 09:42 PM

I love Mick Fleetwood. If it wasn't for him, this board wouldn't exist.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think he's great. He's probably one of the most down to earth celebrities out there. I did the Meet and Greet with him this last tour, and if you didn't know who he was, you'd think he was just a really friendly guy you met off the street who likes to tell long stories. He seemed very appreciative, did not rush anything, and really went out of his way to make sure we all had a good experience. You might say the money he was making for the M&G was motivating his behavior, but I don't think you can really fake it that well. He's the only one to do the M&Gs, and I think that says a lot about his character and fan appreciation despite making money off of it. Plus, I agree with the OP. I mean, don't we all work to make as much money as we can? How is his job any different? If it wasn't for him treating the band as a business (which it is), FM would've died a long time ago.

Brad
Old 02-08-2014, 10:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I like them all pretty equally actually, they each have their quirks.. Mick seems like a very cool person to me.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

He's made some boneheaded business decisions. Outside of that, I don't get it myself. He's always been good the fans, and really that's all that matters.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 02-08-2014, 11:37 PM
Senior Ledgie

he needs to cash in with meet and greets to pay his alimony, but I'm cool with that - by all accounts it was a great experience and good value for money. I'm really disappointed I didn't get to do one with him in Oz late last year, but I'm assuming he'll do them for the re-scheduled tour this year.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
He's made some boneheaded business decisions.
I can't say I've ever seen any true disdain for Mick. However, he incites a lot of eye rolling because he can't seem to keep himself financially solvent after nearly 5 decades of fame. I can see how some fans would be offended by that, especially since some have supported this band for many years.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
I can't say I've ever seen any true disdain for Mick. However, he incites a lot of eye rolling because he can't seem to keep himself financially solvent after nearly 5 decades of fame. I can see how some fans would be offended by that, especially since some have supported this band for many years.
But really, that's nobody's business. We don't pay him to make good business decisions. We pay him to see him play drums.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 02-09-2014, 12:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
A lot posts portray Mick in a negative manner, as a heartless "cash grabber."
This seems a bit unfair.
thank you! i expressed something similar a while ago. it's almost like Mick is a fair game as a punchbag and people are rarely defending him. it seems kinda assumed by many he's a cash-grabbing person and that's his only motif for getting FM together, or doing anything, really.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 02-09-2014, 12:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
But really, that's nobody's business. We don't pay him to make good business decisions. We pay him to see him play drums.
Good point. I just don't like seeing him being characterized as being motivated only by a paycheck. If I was offered a chance to spend a day with a member of Fleetwood Mac...although Stevie would be a strong contender, I would choose Mick. He seems like he'd be good company, a lot of fun, and up for anything. I think Stevie would be good company, but with conditions, and a little too intense! I'd be overwhelmed!

Last edited by PenguinHead; 02-09-2014 at 01:03 AM..
Old 02-09-2014, 01:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
thank you! i expressed something similar a while ago. it's almost like Mick is a fair game as a punchbag and people are rarely defending him. it seems kinda assumed by many he's a cash-grabbing person and that's his only motif for getting FM together, or doing anything, really.
I think Mick loves the band like family. I don't think money is his primary motivation for keeping them together at all. I think he's a very emotional and loving person.

However, I'm disdainful of some things he's done.

Michele
Old 02-09-2014, 01:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I think Mick loves the band like family. I don't think money is his primary motivation for keeping them together at all. I think he's a very emotional and loving person.

However, I'm disdainful of some things he's done.

Michele
His crasser side really started to show itself big when he started his own website years ago. He put a guy in charge of it who was a real weirdo—a scummy Hollywood-agent type. Disgusted fans took to calling this clown "Toad."

Stevie used to say that Mick has expensive tastes. He loves fine clothes, fine cars, fine food, fine real estate. I think he's always been like the majority of the population—he leverages himself to within an inch of his life by buying things that he doesn't have the cash for at the moment so he uses loans based on investments he makes. So when his investments tank, his loans go into default. But all his marketing—sellings wines at Costco, opening dozens of restaurants (and then closing them), selling digital drum instruments and software, etc.—is really no different from what Gene Simmons does. Gene Simmons is just better at it.

But Mick is a very kindhearted guy who has always been accommodating with the news-hungry press.

moviekinks.blogspot.com

Last edited by David; 02-09-2014 at 01:35 PM..
Old 02-09-2014, 07:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I love Mick Fleetwood. If it wasn't for him, this board wouldn't exist.
Yes, and if it wasn't for him, the band would have died long ago.

And whether it's for money or not, thanks to Mick we got all those bonus and unreleased tracks from the special editions (Rumours, Tusk, box set, etc.)
Old 02-09-2014, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
Yes, and if it wasn't for him, the band would have died long ago.

And whether it's for money or not, thanks to Mick we got all those bonus and unreleased tracks from the special editions (Rumours, Tusk, box set, etc.)
He has, for the most part, kept this band alive when this band was straight lining!!
Old 02-10-2014, 01:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up

I've never understood the "Mick-bashing" that goes on here either. Sure, the guy's made some poor business decisions (who hasn't?!?!) and gotten cross ways of Stevie more than once, but honestly, I don't think the guy is a bad person.

As others have said, if it wasn't for him, FM would have flatlined long ago. Just look at who he's brought into the band over the years (or at least was involved in bringing them in): Bob Welch, Lindsey and Stevie, Rick and Billy, all awesome players and singers who have made a definite mark on FM. I think he's doing what he can for the FM brand and not doing too poorly of late. He probably doesn't get much at all in terms of royalties, most likely album royalties as he's not a songwriter, but I'm not that music business savvy so I don't know how that works.

He certainly seems a "larger than life" type of celebrity (not just in terms of size), being so boisterous in terms of performance and public personality, no idea if he's that way in private, but sometimes that boisterousness can rub people the wrong way.

I think a lot of people are turned off by the news of his divorces, alimony, business failures, and then we get another FM album or tour, leading to the thought that it's all Mick trying to pay his debts and it's not about the music.

Personally, I think the guys is fantastic and would love to meet him. Honestly, if I had the chance for a "meet & greet", I'd love it to be him and John! I'd be in heaven listening to those guys tell stories about their adventures in the Mac!