The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-24-2014, 12:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Why all the importance of "pushing the boundaries" with this band? What do they have to prove at this point? What's wrong with just a solid/good sound?

Jamie
Old 01-24-2014, 01:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmaletic View Post
Why all the importance of "pushing the boundaries" with this band? What do they have to prove at this point? What's wrong with just a solid/good sound?
Jamie
I agree! Everybody is getting their panties in a knot about this or that based upon a little blurb this interviewer got from Mick back on January 11th. If anyone was being honest with themselves, they'd presume that Fleetwood Mac's "pushing boundaries" days are over! SYW nailed that coffin. Christine's return alone all but signals the classic sound will likely be intact. Besides, this is not an official annoucement from the whole band. I suspect things are still being hammered out behind the scenes, more specifically, do they have a record deal? Where are they recording at?? Personally, I'll be waiting for a more official PR annoucement before jumping to any conclusions about where & when Stevie joins the band in the studio. For goodness sakes, they haven't officially even annouced Johns full recovery yet.

Last edited by Christopher; 01-24-2014 at 01:26 PM..
Old 01-24-2014, 01:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmaletic View Post

Jamie
For me, just keeping it too safe would seem like a sell out. A La the Eagles. I still think these folks have something to say artistically. Lindsey's still making sonically interesting music. Christine pushed her own boundaries on In The Meantime with it's often-dark/angry lyrics. Stevie still dabbles in electronica, country, and pop as a solo artist. There's nothing to say they can't mix up the sound of this Mac record. After all, look what a massive departure Tango was from Mirage. And Tusk from Rumours. They've done it before. I'm not opposed to this album being a classic sounding Fleetwood Mac record... I'd just like some dash of spice to let us know they still give a damn about art, you know? Just look at Johnny Cash. His last albums when he was in his 80s on his deathbed were downright gritty & raw. Wanda Jackson, the Queen Of Rockabilly, is in her later 70s & has had a recent album produced by Jack White, and it was fantastic. Classic yet retains an edge. There's a line Fleetwood Mac can still very much walk between familiar sound, and artistic integrity.
Old 01-24-2014, 01:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't think you lose integrity if you stick to what you're good at. Still being good at it might even be an accomplishment on it's own.
Old 01-24-2014, 01:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
I agree! Everybody is getting their panties in a knot about this or that based upon a little blurb this interviewer got from Mick back on January 11th. If anyone was being honest with themselves, they'd presume that Fleetwood Mac's "pushing boundaries" days are over! SYW nailed that coffin. Christine's return alone all but signals the classic sound will likely be intact.
You're probably right. Though like I pointed out in my previous post, each of the songwriters still made departures & statements with their last solo albums, so why not with Fleetwood Mac?

Quote:
Besides, This is not really an official annoucement from the whole band. I suspect things are still being worked out behind the scenes, more specifically, do they have a record deal? Where are they recording at? Personally, I'll be waiting for a more official PR annoucement before jumping to any conclusions about where & when Stevie will joing the band.
That's why I didn't initially respond to this thread. I have no doubt Mick is telling the truth. But it doesn't seem like anything is set in stone yet, either. There is still a chance the house of cards may collapse.

The logistics are the biggest head scratcher for me as well. Where will they record? LA, Hawaii, or England? LA seems the most likely. But where will Mick, John, and Christine stay while in town? I don't know that any of them own homes there, anymore. I suppose Mick & Chris could bunk at Stevie's mansion while she hangs out in her condo.

I have a feeling the reason we've not heard anything terribly official is because they're probably making their rounds to find a record deal/acceptable deal, too. I'm sure they'll land back at Warner/Reprise, but I sure as hell wish they wouldn't.

Quote:
For goodness sakes, they haven't officially even annouced Johns full recovery yet.
Do they even tell people they're cured of cancer anymore? I have several relatives who have been dealing with cancer the past few years. Even when my partner's Dad's cancer didn't show up anymore on xrays, his doctors refused to use any words like recovery, remission, cured, etc. I guess maybe medical lawsuits have dictated this change.
Old 01-24-2014, 01:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockawayBlind View Post
I admire your optimism, but don't share it. Of all three, at this point Lindsey is the most likely to be creative and push boundaries. But he demonstrated with the EP that isn't what he has planned for a FM album.
I think that if Christine is bringing the "FM", then Lindsey will feel freed up to push boundaries. When it was just Stevie this last time, he tried to be more conventional with his songs (and I like Sad Angel and Miss Fantasy and think they are more interesting than, say, Did You Miss Me) for two reasons:

1. Stevie doesn't like the weird stuff and he was trying to cajole her into an album, so he was on his good behavior.

2. FM needed to maintain their "pop" cred.

Now, Christine is back. She can do the mainstream and he can play around. In fact, he doesn't have to do anything mass appealing with his own music, as long as Stevie and Christine's songs fill that bill.

Michele
Old 01-24-2014, 01:37 PM

I think March is a great time table. If it takes 120-180 days to make the album, then they have August/September to rehearse.

This new album would also mean the set-list would have about 3-6 new songs. I find that exciting.

I really hope it's a full Fleetwood Mac album, like Mirage or Tango.
4 LB
4CM
1 LB/CM
1SN/CM
3 SN

I just pray it's not like The Dance recordingS. Here's my grading on that.

Sweet Girl B+
Bleed to Love Her B-
My Little Demon C-
Temporary One D+
Old 01-24-2014, 01:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'd be psyched if it had two My little Demon and Bleed to Love her- quality songs on it.

Old 01-24-2014, 01:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
I'd be psyched if it had two My little Demon and Bleed to Love her- quality songs on it.
Yep. I thought both of those were good for The Dance era and SYHA, too.

I'd also welcome two songs as strong as most of the SWS and GOS selections.

Conversely, I'd be kind of depressed if it had two songs of the UTS quality -- although I'd gladly take one was as good as Show You How.

Michele
Old 01-24-2014, 01:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post

Now, Christine is back. She can do the mainstream and he can play around. In fact, he doesn't have to do anything mass appealing with his own music, as long as Stevie and Christine's songs fill that bill.

Michele
But I don't think he will record a lot of other LB songs than are already there, and those songs were written with "cajoling Stevie into an album' - vibe. So I think it will be very poppy and safe.
He will have his hands full with arranging and recording Stevie's songs, recording and 'maccing' Christine's songs and the overall production of the entity.

Old 01-24-2014, 02:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
But I don't think he will record a lot of other LB songs than are already there,
Wishful thinking, but I was just hoping that when he was bored in his hotel room during the tour he whipped some new stuff up, aside from the tunes he, John and Mick already have under their belt. Michele
Old 01-24-2014, 02:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post

Conversely, I'd be kind of depressed if it had two songs of the UTS quality -- although I'd gladly take one was as good as Show You How.

Michele
Hmm, I'd freak out if there was another Someone's Got To Change Your Mind -like song on it, though.

And he still could use the Given Thing demo's.

Old 01-24-2014, 02:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

And he still could use the Given Thing demo's.
Given Thing is sublime. I hope he does it on his own, if not with Fleetwood Mac.

Michele
Old 01-24-2014, 02:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for posting the full article!

I'm glad that the band will be returning to the center. Weird songs are just pretentious and short-lived, which is not Fleetwood Mac.
Old 01-24-2014, 02:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I think March is a great time table. If it takes 120-180 days to make the album, then they have August/September to rehearse.

This new album would also mean the set-list would have about 3-6 new songs. I find that exciting.

I really hope it's a full Fleetwood Mac album, like Mirage or Tango.
4 LB
4CM
1 LB/CM
1SN/CM
3 SN
It's very exciting!

It sounds like it's going to be a full album. I think that they'll be able to get it done fairly quickly. My guess is that Stevie will probably use some of the leftover material from In Your Dreams, songs that she's already worked on with Dave Stewart. And since Lindsey's songs are already done, just needing some overdubs, they may only really need to work on Christine's songs.