The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: Will Fleetwood Mac release a new album by the end of 2010?
Yes 24 27.91%
No 62 72.09%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-21-2009, 10:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
You call three cancellations, two of which were made up major? I think you exaggerate.
Exactly! Plus, after doing shows every other day..I don't feel that 3 cancellations hardly constitute any sort of embarrassment by a long shot! And yes.. they did make up 2 of those!

There is magic all around you everytime you walk in the room.....
Old 10-21-2009, 10:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellaaarisen View Post
Yeah, but you're forgetting who we are talking about. It took a while to make Say You Will and they pretty much had all of Lindsey's songs already done, minus Stevie's backing vocals and little tweaks here and there. If they were to release something within a year, I think we'd get a lot of leftovers from the Say You Will sessions... and I just think they'd do a lot better if they went into the studio with a totally new slate. They don't necessarily need to be writing totally new songs-- but I'd like any near-completed recordings to be taken off the table. For one, if it wasn't good enough for an 18 track album in 2003, it ain't gonna be good enough now. And also, I really want to see the band writing and producing with their own personal issues from SYW in their minds. Obviously many of the fans and the band itself are not fully satisfied with SYW... I personally think that it sounds like two solo albums crashed into one. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the individual tracks on the album. But as a unit, it isn't "Mac"-- it's Stevie and Lindsey.... and at times, maybe Stevie vs. Lindsey. I don't want to listen to any future releases and say the exact same thing. I'd rather wait a little longer as long as the extension is well used to make better material... and that they stay in the best musical form possible (specifically in voice).
Boy, I absolutely agree with everything you said! I know I for one, would find a way to scrape some money together to go see them if they toured in the future behind new material. Otherwise... I'm staying home. I just don't want to go hear the same songs year in and year out, slowly getting worse in form and function . I'd rather remember them for their searing performances of the SYW tour: the passion behind the new songs, next to the comforting familiarity of the classics.

Moving on, it honestly slipped my mind about SYW taking 18 months, with over half the songs being completed at the beginning of those 18 months. Yikes. It could be a WHILE before we get some new material. But I really don't think we'll see an 18 track album next time around (assuming there will be such an album, of course). I'm hoping they'll make a tighter, more concise statement ala Rumours, Gift Of Screws, etc. That's what they need... around 12 solid, familiar yet fresh sounding tunes which have different personalities, but sit well together in context. SYW was so rambling and scattered that the point it was trying to make was utterly lost. You'd think if Stevie and Lindsey can nail this idea of precision with TISL and GOS, that they could together make it happen in FM. I suppose we'll see... or maybe not.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steviefan49 View Post
Oh, and a PS, if I were you, I wouldn't put any money down on any of us fans who attended a "Unleashed" show NOT purchasing a new Fleetwood Mac Studio album! You can be your own "Debbie Downer" all you want, but the facts will speak for themselves!
Arlene, I love you

Oh, and I voted yes! I'm not sure if they will, but I sure hope so. I'd love for it to be something that they love more importantly. And if not by 2010, I'm hopeful for an early 2011 release. As long as I get to see them again, I'll be happy
Old 10-21-2009, 10:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
Boy, I absolutely agree with everything you said! I know I for one, would find a way to scrape some money together to go see them if they toured in the future behind new material. Otherwise... I'm staying home. I just don't want to go hear the same songs year in and year out, slowly getting worse in form and function . I'd rather remember them for their searing performances of the SYW tour: the passion behind the new songs, next to the comforting familiarity of the classics.

Moving on, it honestly slipped my mind about SYW taking 18 months, with over half the songs being completed at the beginning of those 18 months. Yikes. It could be a WHILE before we get some new material. But I really don't think we'll see an 18 track album next time around (assuming there will be such an album, of course). I'm hoping they'll make a tighter, more concise statement ala Rumours, Gift Of Screws, etc. That's what they need... around 12 solid, familiar yet fresh sounding tunes which have different personalities, but sit well together in context. SYW was so rambling and scattered that the point it was trying to make was utterly lost. You'd think if Stevie and Lindsey can nail this idea of precision with TISL and GOS, that they could together make it happen in FM. I suppose we'll see... or maybe not.
There ya go.. You and everyone else in Fleetwood Macdom, or a lot of us will definitely be standing in a line pretty quickly to see them do some new material! I know starting with myself, I'll definitely buy the cd upon it coming out, and buying a good ticket to see them tour with it!

Old 10-21-2009, 10:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveFM View Post
Arlene, I love you

Oh, and I voted yes! I'm not sure if they will, but I sure hope so. I'd love for it to be something that they love more importantly. And if not by 2010, I'm hopeful for an early 2011 release. As long as I get to see them again, I'll be happy
Awwww.. I love you too! I SO wish it won't take them long, but they are normally all about "quality".. I do agree with Dani, with what she said about SYW sounding like 2 collaborations a bit.. but I do feel they put their heart and soul into their work- as a whole. And who knows when it will be released, but it's SOOO good to know that it's all going to be "in the works" - which is fantastic! I too, voted "yes".. as I know it's going to be done. I'm hoping to see it be done before the end of 2010- but again, if not.. it's all good to me, just as long as I know it's happening- I'm GREAT with that!

Hugs,

Arlene

Old 10-21-2009, 10:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

First of all, I'm glad we are on the same page Louie.

Also, Luke has a point. Everyone in Mac is 60+ and they haven't had a big hit album for over 10 years. They have to cut the crap and make something really noteworthy if they expect to match the Unleashed tour results... let alone surpass them. It's going to get harder and harder for them to be successful as time goes on just because they are fading more and more. As Stevie lovingly said on Destiny Rules, the typical Mac generation isn't "sitting around smoking dope and watching Billboard to see what they need to buy as their next record!" Even when Stevie and Mac's album quality has been questionable, they were still able to sell because they were somewhat current. They don't have that benefit anymore.

Which basically means that if they're going to put the work into getting another album out, they better as hell make it worth it. Because if they were disappointed with SYW sales, it's not going to be any better this time around. We all love them and will buy anything they put out without a question, but we are a very select group of people, people. They need to work ten times harder to make even a fraction of the impression that they used to make on the music scene. So cut the **** and get writing and recording! They can't go around doing greatest hits tours forever. I will follow this band to my grave so yes, I would be at those shows.... but I'd do it a bit spitefully if they let whatever is left of their creative potential go down the drain. They aren't getting any younger, either.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:32 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
You call three cancellations, two of which were made up major? I think you exaggerate.
You're slightly mistaken. Rochester & Greensboro were both canceled far in advance due to disastrous (not an exaggeration) ticket sales (I don't consider the 2nd Toronto show a "makeup"- more like a fill date). Sacramento was due to be rescheduled, but after something like 20% of the tickets (presumably from amateur scalpers) got returned after the postponement, the show got blown out. Edmonton & Calgary got rescheduled because they were two of the half dozen or so shows that did extremely well.

As for the embarrassments, see: SLC, Milwaukee, MSG #2, Baltimore, Manchester, Tampa, Orlando, St. Louis, Omaha, Rosemont #2, Albany.. and at least one or two more than I'm forgetting. The main reason why half of those shows weren't canceled is because they got enough action on the 2-for-1/allocating previously priced $135 tickets to 2-for-$60 packages. Greensboro didn't, and that's why it got axed.

Last edited by LukeA; 10-21-2009 at 10:40 PM.. Reason: added the italicized
Old 10-21-2009, 10:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeA View Post
You're slightly mistaken. Rochester & Greensboro were both canceled far in advance due to disastrous (not an exaggeration) ticket sales. Sacramento was due to be rescheduled, but after something like 20% of the tickets (presumably from amateur scalpers) got returned after the postponement, the show got blown out. Edmonton & Calgary got rescheduled because they were two of the half dozen or so shows that did extremely well.

As for the embarrassments, see: SLC, Milwaukee, MSG #2, Baltimore, Manchester, Tampa, Orlando, St. Louis, Omaha, Rosemont #2, Albany.. and at least one or two more than I'm forgetting. The main reason why half of those shows weren't canceled is because they got enough action on the 2-for-1/allocating previously priced $135 tickets to 2-for-$60 packages. Greensboro didn't, and that's why it got axed.
Luke, you can moan all you want to, regarding what you "feel" is disastrous- but there's a LOT of us, who actually are NOT Debbie Downers, like yourself, and feel that the Mac laughs all the way to the bank, my friend! I have no idea as to what you're talking about on ANY shows being 2-for 60$ or any packages for that! I never saw them when it came time for my show, and trust me, I searched everywhere! The best I could do was 250$ PER ticket- and that wasn't on the floor, even though I didn't want to sit in a floor seat in our venue! The side seats by the stage are much better, IMO..

At any rate, no matter how "down" you may be about this band, this is WHY you are on this very board, is it not?? I'm definitely, again, NOT one of the FM/Stevie people that feel they can do no wrong, as I've seen them in concert since 1981- and I have seen what they are all about. In a nutshell, they will ALWAYS be one of my favorite, all time bands and there is nothing or NO ONE on this board, or anywhere that could ever change my mind !

Last edited by Steviefan49; 10-21-2009 at 10:45 PM..
Old 10-21-2009, 11:16 PM
Registered

Quote:
Luke, you can moan all you want to, regarding what you "feel" is disastrous- but there's a LOT of us, who actually are NOT Debbie Downers, like yourself, and feel that the Mac laughs all the way to the bank, my friend!
Fleetwood Mac shouldn't be laughing. Live Nation was far from satisfied with the results of the Unleashed tour. Barring a "farewell" tour, when it comes to the ridiculously high up-front fee they've been accustomed to the last two tours, they have ZERO leverage for such a tour in 2010. So, pardon me for being a "Debbie Downer" for considering things like "facts" & "trends" and impersonal concepts like "over-saturation" when discussing the band's future- it doesn't make me any less of a fan. ESPECIALLY since its generally accepted by most (not just me) that the band basically exists in 2009 to make money... and where do 99.9% of all bands make most of their money?

Quote:
I have no idea as to what you're talking about on ANY shows being 2-for 60$ or any packages for that!
I stand corrected- it was 2 previously-$135 tickets for $80 (for Omaha) http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=39995

Other links to help refresh your memory ($25 tickets galore):
http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=39835
http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=39899

Almost every show had hundreds of tickets given away- the ten-or-so shows that I listed each had over a thousand comps out.

Quote:
At any rate, no matter how "down" you may be about this band, this is WHY you are on this very board, is it not??
Do not pretend or presume to have even the slightest clue why I've chosen to be a part of this community for 12+ years. Thank you.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellaaarisen View Post
First of all, I'm glad we are on the same page Louie.

Also, Luke has a point. Everyone in Mac is 60+ and they haven't had a big hit album for over 10 years. They have to cut the crap and make something really noteworthy if they expect to match the Unleashed tour results... let alone surpass them. It's going to get harder and harder for them to be successful as time goes on just because they are fading more and more. As Stevie lovingly said on Destiny Rules, the typical Mac generation isn't "sitting around smoking dope and watching Billboard to see what they need to buy as their next record!" Even when Stevie and Mac's album quality has been questionable, they were still able to sell because they were somewhat current. They don't have that benefit anymore.

Which basically means that if they're going to put the work into getting another album out, they better as hell make it worth it. Because if they were disappointed with SYW sales, it's not going to be any better this time around. We all love them and will buy anything they put out without a question, but we are a very select group of people, people. They need to work ten times harder to make even a fraction of the impression that they used to make on the music scene. So cut the **** and get writing and recording! They can't go around doing greatest hits tours forever. I will follow this band to my grave so yes, I would be at those shows.... but I'd do it a bit spitefully if they let whatever is left of their creative potential go down the drain. They aren't getting any younger, either.

Let's face it, we don't have decades left with this band so they need to focus on quality and not quanity. Hopefully the experience of touring together for a year and then heading into the studio will provide a more solid and stable foundation to produce an album from the ground up.

I think the cohesiveness lacking in SYW can absolutely be attributed to the fact that everyone in the band attempted to join forces after being on completely separate paths for what 4-5 years? Maybe a little less? SYW was the first time in a long time they were really coming from four absolutely different places (not to mention the first time without Christine.) Obviously, a break in this duration is not uncommon for this band, but prior to SYW, well maybe at least prior to the Dance, they sort of were all coasting along their separate lives, but sort of at a similar pace. But in 2001-2002, at 50 something, they are all at such different milestones - Stevie in unattached and focused on her solo career, Lindsey is newly married with a growing family, Mick has his new girls, and John is raising a teenager but would probably rather be sailing. You get where I'm going. They were all really doing such different things in their lives, which probably wasn't so true when creating studio albums before this, and if it was, probably wasn't as evident as it was when creating SYW. Really, other then being in a band with legendary history what was common amongst them at that point? All this, plus the experience of doing an album 25 years past their heyday must have contributed to the lack of synergy and resulted in what seemed to be a collaboration of two artist's solo albums.

But, maybe, just maybe, if they can take the momentum that they have had by working with each other over the past year and being intertwined with each other's lives, and truly believe that a studio album can be a positive experience, we can see something wonderful from them in the future.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeA View Post
Fleetwood Mac shouldn't be laughing. Live Nation was far from satisfied with the results of the Unleashed tour. Barring a "farewell" tour, when it comes to the ridiculously high up-front fee they've been accustomed to the last two tours, they have ZERO leverage for such a tour in 2010. So, pardon me for being a "Debbie Downer" for considering things like "facts" & "trends" and impersonal concepts like "over-saturation" when discussing the band's future- it doesn't make me any less of a fan. ESPECIALLY since its generally accepted by most (not just me) that the band basically exists in 2009 to make money... and where do 99.9% of all bands make most of their money?

I stand corrected- it was 2 previously-$135 tickets for $80 (for Omaha) http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=39995

Other links to help refresh your memory ($25 tickets galore):
http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=39835
http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=39899

Almost every show had hundreds of tickets given away- the ten-or-so shows that I listed each had over a thousand comps out.

Do not pretend or presume to have even the slightest clue why I've chosen to be a part of this community for 12+ years. Thank you.
Let's put it this way... Since you seem to know SO much about Live Nation, and how "unsatisfied" they were with the Mac, is that WHY they are STILL backing them?? Really..

And as far as any "farewell" tour goes- I wouldn't be holding my breath for that one, as it won't be on any time soon. That I can assure you!

I never once said that you being a "Debbie downer" ever made you less of a fan.. but it sure does prove you being a true "Pessimist".. LOL...The only "facts" that you've mentioned is that Fleetwood Mac performed a U.S. Leg of the tour, and are now onto a European leg! As far as any "leverage" they carry for a 2010 tour.. again, don't hold your breath, my friend...

Also most of the bands who have been performing since the 70's- live for their "greatest hits" as that's what most of the general population remember them for! Us die hard fans always are on the look out for new material, which is the still the case! Always has been, and always will be! Facts are facts!

And another "PS" for you..there was "NOT" and I repeat "NOT" one show that was EVER in the 20$ dollar range in Houston, TX or anywhere in Texas, my friend! Just becase they may have had a few states that had that, most of the people I know had front row seats to every show they went to, and they want to MANY!!!

Again, regarding Fleetwood Mac laughing all the way to the bank, is a saying.. They live their "SUCESS" and it shows! Thus, the new album, and upcoming tour to go with it, plus their re-release of Rumours down the road, as well.. They're FAR from throwing in any towels on any "farewell tour" hun!

Old 10-21-2009, 11:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amlyn View Post
Let's face it, we don't have decades left with this band so they need to focus on quality and not quanity. Hopefully the experience of touring together for a year and then heading into the studio will provide a more solid and stable foundation to produce an album from the ground up.

I think the cohesiveness lacking in SYW can absolutely be attributed to the fact that everyone in the band attempted to join forces after being on completely separate paths for what 4-5 years? Maybe a little less? SYW was the first time in a long time they were really coming from four absolutely different places (not to mention the first time without Christine.) Obviously, a break in this duration is not uncommon for this band, but prior to SYW, well maybe at least prior to the Dance, they sort of were all coasting along their separate lives, but sort of at a similar pace. But in 2001-2002, at 50 something, they are all at such different milestones - Stevie in unattached and focused on her solo career, Lindsey is newly married with a growing family, Mick has his new girls, and John is raising a teenager but would probably rather be sailing. You get where I'm going. They were all really doing such different things in their lives, which probably wasn't so true when creating studio albums before this, and if it was, probably wasn't as evident as it was when creating SYW. Really, other then being in a band with legendary history what was common amongst them at that point? All this, plus the experience of doing an album 25 years past their heyday must have contributed to the lack of synergy and resulted in what seemed to be a collaboration of two artist's solo albums.

But, maybe, just maybe, if they can take the momentum that they have had by working with each other over the past year and being intertwined with each other's lives, and truly believe that a studio album can be a positive experience, we can see something wonderful from them in the future.
Absolutely!! I SOOO agree with you.. very well stated!

Old 10-22-2009, 12:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Let's put it this way... Since you seem to know SO much about Live Nation, and how "unsatisfied" they were with the Mac, is that WHY they are STILL backing them?? Really..
Well that's an easy one... it's called contracts .
Old 10-22-2009, 12:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Arelene you're just rambling. Luke is talking facts about the recording and touring industry. I understand you're coming from a purely fan perspective, which is fine but it is not reality. A saturated market is basic marketing principle and no matter which way you look at it, they have saturated the American market with the last touring schedule. Azoff will know this, Stubbner will know this and the band will know this. I believe they will record again but this will take time and they cannot possibly tour until at least 2012. Being realistic doesn't make you any less of a fan. "debbie downer" give me a break. Luke has a track record on this site as being very well informed and an intelligent poster.

BOOKMARK this thread and his point will be proven!
Old 10-22-2009, 01:06 AM
DavidMn
This message has been deleted by DavidMn.
Old 10-22-2009, 01:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Reality check: I loved this tour. Went to 23 shows and 2 next week in London. However, as much as I loved going (and always will) Luke is 100% right when he mentions sputtering through certain markets. Chicago #2, Detroit, Toronto#1, Cleveland, St Louis, Omaha, and Milwaukee all shows I attended had SEVERAL sections in the upper levels closed off because of lack of demand, and lest we forget some of these shows had that 2 for 1 or $25 thing going because they couldnt sell. I wonder though if they hadnt waited until the last few shows in North America to discount the tip price if that woudlve made that much of a difference.