Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default FAVORITE Fleetwood Mac songs?

There's been enough negative energy circulating around here in the thread about the few songs by Fleetwood Mac that we hate. We're all here because we adore this band, so I want to hear about the songs you love. Explain what it is you like about the song: the musical merit, a strong identification with the words, or possibly a good experience that you correlate with the specific song(s) you consider your favorite(s).
Old 07-08-2009, 09:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

'Monday Morning', from the FM album. When Stevie comes in with her harmony the hair on my arms stands up. She was so sweet, and the song conjures up so many nice memories for me in 1975 when I was just a wee tyke. I love it just as much from the 'FM Live' album, except that we were hearing a much different Stevie there, right? Instead of this bubbly, California girl, she sounded shrouded, mysterious and low....
Old 07-08-2009, 09:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Sara is my absolute favourite. It is how I discovered the band, and after that, the song was there for me in every crisis/problem/sad day/etc I've been through. It always manages to come through for me in a completely different way each time. That's the great thing about Stevie's lyrics...different things to different people at different times. I think the production of it is amazing...especially if you listen through a really good pair of headphones. The dream harmony vocals...

So yeah...that's my fav

Honorable mention goes to Gypsy, for almost the same reasons. It reminds me of my sister.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:02 PM
Senior Ledgie

I can't pick just one.....

Storms
Gypsy
Thrown Down
Bleed to Love Her

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Old 07-08-2009, 10:05 PM
Ledgie

Go Your Own Way is both my favorite song, and my favorite Fleetwood Mac song, funny how that works. I know it's not very original, but I didn't grow up with a big Fleetwood Mac influence in the house, my parents are not fans at all, and when I finally heard Rumours and GYOW and really what I had been missing out on, it was like the first cut. The deepest one of all; this is a dream right? Haaa, ew. Anyway, it made an impression. Plus I wanted to throw my panties at that guitar solo.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Heart

I'm So Afraid

Greatest song ever written, IMO.

I'm listening to the Dance version of the song right now and nothing compares to ISA. When I listen to it I'm in...another world. I believe Lindsey says more in that solo than anyone could say in words. I've seen him play it live lots of times and I never fail to be moved by it.

My other favorites are too many to mention but ISA is just a cut above all for me. Red Rover runs an extremely close second though.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Angel!!!!

Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!
Old 07-08-2009, 11:10 PM
Supporting Ledgie

The Chain
Dreams
Go Your Own Way
I'm So Afraid
Gypsy
Hold Me
Sara
Rhiannon
Blue Letter
Oh Well
Silver Springs
Thrown Down
Bleed to Love Her
Little Lies
Old 07-08-2009, 11:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondergirl9847 View Post
I'm So Afraid

Greatest song ever written, IMO.

I'm listening to the Dance version of the song right now and nothing compares to ISA. When I listen to it I'm in...another world. I believe Lindsey says more in that solo than anyone could say in words. I've seen him play it live lots of times and I never fail to be moved by it.

My other favorites are too many to mention but ISA is just a cut above all for me. Red Rover runs an extremely close second though.
I truly don't understand how his solo in ISA isn't in the top guitarist solos of all-time... I mean, really? It. is. epic. And I love how at different periods of Fleetwood Mac (i.e. the different tours), he plays that solo a little bit differently. It's brilliant. The man is brilliant. What more is there to say?
Old 07-09-2009, 02:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Oh I just realized that I haven't said mine! It's really, really difficult for me to narrow mine down, but if I absolutely had to, I would say my favorite is...

Rhiannon: I feel really, REALLY cliche saying that, so for a long time I kinda denied my love for the song. When people ask me why I admire Stevie Nicks as much as I do, I want to play this song for them-- not because it is the absolute best music or writing I've ever heard, but because Stevie is, in my eyes, the earthly Rhiannon-- the one with the flaws and occaisonally a lack of subtlety. The song made me realize what attributes I want to aquire for myself, and then I further began to see them in the writer . I just LOVE the idea of being "taken by the sky," of being comparable to the mundane things in life ("cat in the dark") but being exquisitely distinct despite of that-- BECAUSE of that ("the darkness"). To rule one's life ("like a fine skylark") even when all the guiding light is gone and you're ruling unrecognizable terrain (starless sky)-- even when that terrain is inside of you. "Dreams unwind, love's a state of mind"... perfect.

A close second by...

Crystal: As a writer myself, I love seeing Stevie write as a poet before a songwriter. I don't think she does that much anymore (albeit "Illume", maybe, which I don't like as a song but I LOVE the imagery). "Crystal" is the prime example of Stevie's ability to make relatively common images blend in a way they haven't before. The lyrics make no sense, but they make total sense if you FEEL them, not analyze them. Plus, the last minute of the song is musically awe-inspiring. It revives my soul everytime I hear it.

The Chain: In the context of the band, it COMPLETELY blows my mind away every time I listen.

Silver Springs: The first Fleetwood Mac song I ever really really loved. I heard it when I was five years old . I used to sing it in the car with my mom since she played The Dance nonstop for all of 1997. The slightly crazy bitch aura of the ending lines ("time cast a spell on you...") is so honest. I remember realizing (yes, at 5) the unbelievably sense of raw truth behind those words. I see The Dance performance as Stevie's "turning over a new leaf" experience with Lindsey-- as if she was finally admitting to him that they would always have something phenomenal and there will always be that pent up resentment, but now that the air is cleared for good, they could move on.

Beautiful Child: Need I say anything? Obviously the song is gorgeous. I first heard it while I was in the throes of growing up WAY too fast, so the timing and subject matter has stuck to my bones forever.

Sisters of the Moon: Kinda along the same lines as why I love "Rhiannon".

I apologize for how long this is.... hahaha
Old 07-09-2009, 08:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The Chain: lyrics, music, everything comes together
YMLF: the lyrics hold special meaning, love the music
Gypsy
Sara
GYOW
ISA (genius)

If I were to add non-Rumours era: Need Your Love So Bad (I know it's not an original), Future Games, Sunny Side, and Spare Me a Little.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

This is going to be tough... (my top 25):

(in no particular order, after the first one)

Gypsy (perhaps my favorite song of all time)
Dreams
Go Your Own Way
Rhiannon
Sister of The Moon
I'm So Afraid (The Dance version is truly spectacular)
Everywhere
Sara (I disliked this song the first six times I heard it, but have since grown to cherish it)
You Make Loving Fun
Little Lies
Angel
Crystal
Bleed To Love Her
Thrown Down
Hold Me
The Chain
Oh Daddy
Gold Dust Woman
Never Going Back Again
Landslide
I Know I'm Not Wrong
Isn't It Midnight
Straight Back
Blue Letter

-Matt
Old 07-09-2009, 10:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I love every single song very, very much but if I have to pick just a few (it's quite impossible but however...) it'll probably be Beautiful Child, Landslide, Dreams, Rhiannon, The Chain, I'm so afraid and all the other Fleetwood Mac songs, haha! But those are the once I got those chilss when I hear them...And everytime Stevie's harmony comes into a song I get those same chills. Her voice is magical!!!

Old 07-09-2009, 10:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Favorite Fleetwood Mac songs...

Oh Well (done by anybody except Lindsey or Kenny Wayne Shepard)

and...well, it's just easier (and MANY less keystrokes) to list the Fleetwood Mac songs I don't like:

When You Say
(I'm A) Roadrunner
Not That Funny
(studio version....live version is cool)
Oh Diane
Welcome To The Room...Sara
No Questions Asked
Stand On The Rock
(Sorry, Rick! "Got No Home" should've been on the album instead)
The Second Time

Eight songs out of the entire 40 year Fleetwood Mac catalogue...that's a pretty good percentage of "Favorite Songs".

Last edited by chiliD; 07-09-2009 at 10:31 AM..
Old 07-09-2009, 10:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

^^
What bothers you about Lindsey's version of Oh Well?

Favorites:
Christine: Why, Brown Eyes, Sugar Daddy, Isnt it Midnight, Hold Me, Love Shines
Stevie: Gypsy, Landslide, Storms, Silver Springs, Angel, Sisters of the Moon
Lindsey: Go Your Own Way, Second Hand News, I Know I'm Not Wrong, Bleed to Love Her, Blue Letter (yes I know he didn't write it), Tango in the Night

Non-Rumours members songs: Oh Well, Man of the World, The Derelict, Hypnotized