User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-27-2002, 07:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Peter Green and Peter Gabriel

My local rag's arts section recently had two new cd reviews side by side, both mentioning Fleetwood Mac! (What an intelligent reviewer!!)

The first was for Peter Gabriel's soundtrack to the Australian feature film 'Rabit-Proof Fence'. The soundtrack includes the 'silvery guitar of Peter Green'!! Amazing - both these artists are great... Christine McVie always has great things to say about Peter Gabriel, too. I can't wait to check out this cd.

The second review was for Michelle Branch, and the reviewer came out of left field, saying that her melodic pop is reminiscent of Fleetwood Mac.

This reviewer must be a fan!!! No doubt she'll give the new album a good rap!
Old 04-27-2002, 08:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question HEY RODEO!

Did the reviewer say that the soundtrack to "Rabit proof fence" ACTUALLY had Peter Green playing on it or just someone playing guitar on it that SOUNDED like the "silvery guitar of Peter Green"? (I saw in The Penguin's "Second hand news" section that Green is going to be on Gabriel's new album called "Up" to be released sometime in 2002 (apparently) but from your explanation above, I thought you might have heard (and meant) that Peter Green might be on this soundtrack album as well)

John

Last edited by wetcamelfood; 04-27-2002 at 11:23 AM..
Old 04-27-2002, 10:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Yes - Peter Green's on the soundtrack. Though if you're looking for it, Peter Gabriel gave it its own title... Long Walk Home.

The history of 'Up' 's production is a bit of a laugh hey! It almost makes Lindsey's deadline mentality (or lack thereof) seem average! Gotta love those perfectionists.
Old 04-28-2002, 04:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Hello from sunny Italy.

Peter Green will be on Gabriel's new album "UP", so if Greeny is also on the soundtrack, then it is the same track.
Martin Celmins told me Greeny recorded that session for Peter Gabriel last spring, during the sessions for "Time Traders".
According to Martin it was a wonderful day, Greeny being upfront and in "state of grace".
Also it should be a quite long track (8 minutes) and apparently Greeny had lot of space to play and it's exactly what he did!

Cheers,

Mario.
Old 04-28-2002, 02:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile THANKS RODEO & MARIO!

I just got my copy of Gabriel's "Long walk home ("Rabbit proof fence" soundtrack)" CD and Greeny is listed as electric guitar on TWO songs, "Ngankarrparni (Sky blue - reprise)" & "Cloudless". I'm still looking forward to the "Up" album though, even if it does only include one/both of these songs but hopefully it will be a different recording, I can but hope anyways! Thanks again you two for the very helpful, useful and frankly invaluable info!

John
Old 04-28-2002, 03:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Great!

Thanks for the nice words, but also for the infos.
The soundtrack will be out next May 27th over here in Europe,so it would be great to hear what you think about Greeny's performance.

Stay Green.

Mario.
Old 04-28-2002, 04:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile MARIO...

I just finished listening to the soundtrack but I can't say I hear much guitar on those two songs, I'll have to check it out again later tonight with headphones on this time!

The copy I got was an Australian import and I had a hard enough time finding that. I did notice at amazon.com.de that it was coming out on May 27. I don't think it's been released in the US yet (for those US fans interested).

John
Old 04-29-2002, 10:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation update...

I just listened to this on headphones and it might be Greeny on the six string (roughly) between the 2:30 and 3:00 mark of "Ngankarrparni (Sky blue - reprise)" but hard to say as I noticed that David Rhodes is also listed as electric guitar on both of the Greeny tracks so it may very well be him instead. What electric guitar work I can hear on "Cloudless" is more rhythmic so that is most likely Rhodes more in the fore ground on that one but maybe not. When you do get it Mario, maybe you could let me/us know what pat(s) you think are Greeny with your expert Greeny finding ears?! I'll sure be lookinfg forward to it (if you do)! Hope this was of some help.

John
Old 04-29-2002, 02:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hello again,

Maybe Peter recorded more tracks and they will be on Peter Gabriel's new album "UP", as both Martin Celmins and Mojo magazine (April issue) talked about Greeny taking a high profile on that sessions.

Anyway, I will try and get in touch with Martin in order to get more infos.

Stay Green,

Mario.