Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-19-2006, 07:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default "Something's gone terribly wrong" (UTS review)

CD Review: Lindsey Buckingham - Under The Skin
10/18/06 - 3:37 PM
By Ryan Emberley

http://www.andpop.com/article/7270

(andPOP) - What do you get when you combine masterful guitar playing, top-notch production and a Rock and Roll Hall of Famer? If it's anything but a great album, something's gone terribly wrong - and that's exactly what's happened with Lindsey Buckingham's Under The Skin.

When it was announced that Buckingham would be releasing his first solo album in more than a decade, I jumped out of my chair with excitement... or so the saying goes. I had great expectations for this album, especially following his spotless contributions to Fleetwood Mac’s 2003 album Say You Will (Peacekeeper and Say Goodbye are without peers in their own categories).

So what went wrong? As usual, when Buckingham is given the reigns and complete creative freedom... he tends to go a little mad; a touch too experimental for the average listener and, in this case, the avid fan.

Buckingham’s earlier solo works Law & Order, Go Insane and Out of the Cradle along with his contributions to Fleetwood Mac’s 1979 album Tusk are clear examples of experiments gone wrong.

Although there were a lot of dud songs, through excessive listening I could always manage to find some redeemable qualities (well most the time. Sorry Lindsey, I have yet to find anything enjoyable about Not That Funny).

When I’ve failed to appreciate Buckingham’s whimsical arrangements or experimental instrumentals in the past— I’ve generally been able to justify the work with the help of the ‘well, at least the lyrics kick ass’ thought process. Sadly, this is also not the case with Under The Skin. It feels as if Bono, and his addiction to forced rhymes and oh-so-obvious metaphors, has possessed the unsuspecting Buckingham.

This is not to say there aren’t any good songs on this album. Down on Rodeo and Someone’s Gotta Change Your Mind are certified toe-tappers. And Shut Us Down is one of my favourite songs in recent memory (once you get over its initial whispery peculiarity, it’s an absolute gem).

Here’s a piece of advice for Fleetwood Mac/Lindsey Buckingham fans considering buying this album: put the CD back on the shelf, and take a few steps over to the DVD section and buy Sound Stage Presents - Lindsey Buckingham. Not only is every quality song from Under The Skin on this DVD, but they are easily twice as good (due to Buckingham’s live music genius).

Time will tell if this body of work is able to heal itself in my eyes, but for the time being Under The Skin is simply under the weather.

2/5*
Reprise
Release Date: October 3, 2006
Old 10-19-2006, 07:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan View Post
Here’s a piece of advice for Fleetwood Mac/Lindsey Buckingham fans considering buying this album: put the CD back on the shelf, and take a few steps over to the DVD section and buy Sound Stage Presents - Lindsey Buckingham. Not only is every quality song from Under The Skin on this DVD, but they are easily twice as good (due to Buckingham’s live music genius).
Ya know, everyone's entitled to their opinions, but I think I can decide for myself whether I like something or not.

I'm glad I bought this album, because I really like it. If I'd listened to reviewers like this, I would've missed out on a great piece of music. Seriously, I've stopped listening to reviews, because the majority of the time, they diss albums I like, and praise ones I think are crap.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:34 AM
Ledgie

...in this case, the avid fan...
An avid fan that appears to dislike Law & Order, Go Insane, Out of the Cradle and Tusk - Experiments gone wrong???

..every quality song from Under The Skin on this DVD..
You've contradicted yourself having praised Shut Us Down that is not on the DVD.

..Here’s a piece of advice for Fleetwood Mac/Lindsey Buckingham fans considering buying this album: put the CD back on the shelf..

If you ARE a Fleetwood Mac fan and definitely a Lindsey Buckingham fan buy Under the Skin, its great! Don't listen to this bloke as they clearly aren't a fan!

Last edited by nichora; 10-19-2006 at 09:39 AM..
Old 10-19-2006, 09:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

So thinking Law & Order, Go Insane, and Out Of The Cradle were all experiments that went wrong, he jumps out of his seat with excitement for another Lindsey solo album? Yeah right. The guy is so full of **** you can smell it from another continent.

And when did Lindey's lyrics ever kick ass?
Old 10-19-2006, 09:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
And when did Lindey's lyrics ever kick ass?
Exactly!

Dude's obviously not a Lindsey fan. And there's always that ol' cliche that I'm sure has already been mentioned a thousand times...opinions are like arseholes....everybody's got one.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Pfffttt...

What a POS review. He contradicted himself throughout this piece of crap.

I'll print this out and go put it in the bathroom for later.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

So if all Lindsey's solo albums (+ Tusk) are failed experiments in his opinion why was he excited about a new one? Surely he could only expect another "failure"?
Old 10-19-2006, 11:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peestie View Post
So if all Lindsey's solo albums (+ Tusk) are failed experiments in his opinion why was he excited about a new one? Surely he could only expect another "failure"?
totally.

this review stings a bit, but there's bound to be those reviewers who are either jealous of the popularity of the band and fault them for it or just have ****ty taste. you be the judge.

it's like **** in one hand and hope for a fab review in the other. see which one fills up faster. with respect to both Stevie and Lindsey.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default This guy's a visionary reviewer...

...for a very small part; he writes all crap and then this appears:

Quote:
And Shut Us Down is one of my favourite songs in recent memory (once you get over its initial whispery peculiarity, it’s an absolute gem).
He definately did not take time for the rest of the album like he did for Shut Us Down.

Old 10-19-2006, 12:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

oh, honestly. what a fool.

proof that he has no taste: he liked SUD!
Old 10-19-2006, 12:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Dark in my flaming staircase, being totally unfamiliar with the artist or her music

Everything Lindsey's done since Rumours has sucked hard.

But I'm still looking forward to this album.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I never pay attention to critics anymore, I decide for myself if an album is good or bad (In the distant past I bought albums because of good reviews and basically disliked the release, and a few albums I read negative reviews about turned out to be true gems.)

I think interpretation is individual.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SortaSavageLike View Post
Everything Lindsey's done since Rumours has sucked hard.

But I'm still looking forward to this album.
No you're not. You're not worth your own screenname. Let all the music stop developping and set the time still. We only want musicians that do the same f*ckin'thing for 40 years.

Old 10-19-2006, 01:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^^

I also don't pay any mind to critics - I almost never agree with them.

This review so far wins the worst review award- it's complete crap. What an arse...
Old 10-19-2006, 01:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

i want to know where the hell he gets off calling OOTC an experiment gone wrong.

i don't care if people have different opinions from mine, but this fool just has bad taste. you can't diss Tusk, L&O, GI, and OOTC and call yourself a Buckingham fan. you just. can't. do it. What? He likes the Rumours songs?

this guy needs to get over himself. i doubt he's listened to any lb albums more than twice.. and definitely not twice all the way through.