Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Peter Green
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-13-2006, 02:18 PM
Ledgie

Default It Takes Time

One of the songs that ha been with me a long time is "It takes time" by Otis Rush. I first heard it on Live at the Filmore West (circa 1968) featuring Michael Bloomfield (and his 59 Les paul) playing the lights out in a tour de force. Nick Gravenitis gave a great vocal. I researched the song back then and then heard Otis Rushs original, (he records it several times) The next time I heard a recording of it was by PG with the spliner group live version and sisnce i had not known that PG had prviosly done it i was entranced. I have since heard the Bruning Sunflower version. On other threads I now notice that there are Fleetwood Mac Versions and I am very interested if other recordings are available of this in particular. If people can steer me in the right direction I would much appreciate it. This is one of those songs, like"Last Night",help the poor, All you love, Woke up this morning,so many roads, double trouble etc that really connect the blues legacy.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The song is a favorite of mine also (and I agree, the Bloomfield / Gravenites is absolutely amazing!)

I know of three recordings (bootlegs all) of Green performing the song with Fleetwood Mac:

Konserthuest, Orebro Sweden November 06, 1969
Golden Circle, Stockholm Sweden November 1969 – exact performance date not known 1969
The Warehouse, New Orleans, LA January 30, 1970

The first, while strong is also incomplete and ends rather abruptly.

The second is one of my favorites, really heavy and running almost seven and a half minutes in length - it segues beautifully into another blues classic, "Sugar Mama".

The third version is equal in running time and of better sound quality, although (for me, it is marred slightly by someone, possibly Mick, moaning and groaning as they play)

If you need help tracking these down, contact me off list

All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead
E. Vedder
Old 09-14-2006, 10:47 AM
Ledgie

"It takes time" is also one of my favorite up-tempo songs from the FM songbook.
I have some info on two of the three recordings you mention, BklynBlue, that could help set the records straight when it comes to recording dates and venues.

On the original recording from Konserthuset in Orebro on Nov 6, 1969, "It takes time" starts right after the instrumental intro verse, runs for almost six minutes and is immediately after the last chord followed by "Sugar Mama" (I know, I sat very close to the "recording equipment" ).

They didn't play at the Golden Circle in November 69, the club actually closed down in 1968 and that year, -68, FM did play there, on November 17. But no trace of "It Takes Time" on the setlist from that gig.

However they played "It Takes Time" at Konserthuset in Stockholm on Nov 4, 1969, and that version runs for almost seven and a half minute, so it could be that version you mention as the Golden Circle version.
They also played at Konserthuset in Stockholm in March 1969 and I think I've seen a setlist from that concert sometime. I'll try to see if I can find it.
Old 09-14-2006, 05:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogon View Post

However they played "It Takes Time" at Konserthuset in Stockholm on Nov 4, 1969, and that version runs for almost seven and a half minute, so it could be that version you mention as the Golden Circle version.
Here's the setlist for the show:
Tracks:
01. Jigsaw Puzzle Blues
02. Only You
03. From The Beginning
04. It Takes Time
05. Held My Baby Last Night
06. Everyday I Have The Blues
07. Something Inside Me
08. Rattlesnake Shake/Searching For Madge
09. Stranger Blues

Somehow I got notice of possibly another 5 tracks for this show. Anybody to confirm?
- Jumping At Shadows
- Stop Messin’ Round
- Coming Your Way
- I’ve Got A Mind To Give Up Living
- Rollin’ Man

Quote:
They also played at Konserthuset in Stockholm in March 1969 and I think I've seen a setlist from that concert sometime. I'll try to see if I can find it.
I have this as a setlist for Sept. 4 1969 in Stockholm. Could it be that this is the list you refer to as March 1969? If so, do you know the exact date?
Tracks:
01. Introduction
02. Albatross
03. Like It This Way
04. Got To Move
05. I’ve Got A Mind To Give Up Living
06. Coming Your Way
07. I Can’t Hold Out
08. Oh Well
09. Loving Kind
10. Great Balls Of Fire
11. Need Your Love So Bad
12. Tutti Frutti
Old 09-14-2006, 06:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
They didn't play at the Golden Circle in November 69, the club actually closed down in 1968 and that year, -68, FM did play there, on November 17. But no trace of "It Takes Time" on the setlist from that gig.
I have two shows, one dated as Copenhagen, Nov. 17 and one dated as Golden Circle Stockholm Nov. ?? Could you give me a clue to the exact information? The Penguin Tourbooks doesn't mention Copenhagen, so where and when did it take place?
COPENHAGEN, DENMARK, 1968-11-17
Tracks:
01. Jumping At Shadows
02. Rollin’ Man
03. Something Inside Me
04. Like It This Way
05. Got To Move
06. Albatross
07. Homework
08. San-Ho-Zay
09. Everyday I Have The Blues
10. My Baby’s Sweet

GOLDEN CIRCLE – STOCKHOLM, SWEDEN, 1968-11-??
Tracks:
01. Stop Messin’ Round
02. If You Let Me Love You
03. Talk With You
04. Homework
05. Rollin’ Man
06. Something Inside Of Me
07. Tell me (?)
08. Driftin’
09. World Keep On Turning
10. Albatross
11. No Place To Go
12. San-Ho-Zay
13. Without You
Old 09-14-2006, 09:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Great information on the Golden Circle, thank you Dogon and welcome to the Ledge -

maybe you can help us out a little more here:

Wouter,
as to the 1969 "Golden Circle" / (Konsterhuest) show(s): I do not think that the last five numbers, are from that show - the sound is different and the inclusion of "Stop Messin' Round" and "Rollin' Man" make me believe the songs are from a show in late 1968.

I also believe that what you have listed as Sept. 4 1969 is actually the second half of the November 4 show - the first half ends with "Stranger Blues" and the second opens with "Albatross" - Green starts by saying, “Right. We’re going to start. Again.”
I can not imagine them starting a show with "Albatross" - the second set, yeah, but not the first song of the evening.

I'll check my notes this weekend to see if I have any info on the 1968 shows - it is very difficult finding any information on the Scandinavian shows in terms of dates etc.

All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead
E. Vedder
Old 09-14-2006, 09:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Forgot to mention: during the introduction to "Oh Well" on what I said I believe was the second half of the November 1969 show, Green says they just got word that the song was at # 2 in England “…this week” which places the show during the second week of November

E. Vedder
Old 09-15-2006, 02:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynBlue View Post
Forgot to mention: during the introduction to "Oh Well" on what I said I believe was the second half of the November 1969 show, Green says they just got word that the song was at # 2 in England “…this week” which places the show during the second week of November
Yes, that's right, I've also noticed that the "September" show is half on the
November show.
Wonder if anyone recorded the March 1969 show in Stockholm?????
Old 09-19-2006, 05:36 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynBlue View Post
I'll check my notes this weekend to see if I have any info on the 1968 shows - it is very difficult finding any information on the Scandinavian shows in terms of dates etc.
In order to cure that circumstance a little bit I'm happy to be able to inform you that I found a copy of the contract for Fleetwood Mac's concert in Jönköping, Sweden on Saturday, November 16, 1968. They were supposed to play 1x45 minutes at 11 PM for a minimum of 6000 SEK.
I attach a picture of the cute "young-eye" from the event .

The town Jönköping is situated almost in the midway between Stockholm and Copenhagen which means that November 17 is a possible date for a concert in either of the two cities. In those days, at least up to the spring -69 tour, they travelled in not so big vans, like Ford Transit. Even later on they seems to have travelled by bus when touring continental Europe (see Martin Celmin's Peter Green Biography).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Danny 4.jpg (90.0 KB, 21 views)
Old 09-21-2006, 01:27 PM
Ledgie

Here's the setlist to Konserthuset Nov 4, 1969. And yes "It Takes Time" is jawdropping redhot, I know I attended the show:-) Luckily I managed to get a tape copy of that show several years later, but it was marred by severe hum and tape hiss. A couple of years ago I cleaned it up with a sound proggie and transfered it to CD, and now it sounds quite good. As you can see the second half corresponds with the fake dated Sept boot.

disk one, first set, total 45:43
1. Jigsaw Puzzle Blues 3:36
2. Only You 3:37
3. Before the Beginning 3:33
4. It Takes Time 7:39
5. I Held My Baby Last Night 3:59
6. Everyday I Have the Blues 4:49
7. Something Inside of Me 5:36
8. Rattlesnake Shake / Searching for Madge 10:03
9. Stranger Blues 2:28

disk two, second set, total 56:17
1. Albatross 4:01
2. Like It This Way 4:19
3. Got To Move 4:26
4. Got a Mind To Give Up Living 6:56
5. Coming Your Way 5:39
6. Can’t Hold Out 6:37
7. Oh Well 3:05
9. Loving Kind 3:13
9. Great Balls of Fire (incomplete) 0:39
10. Need Your Love So Bad 8:38
11. Tutti Frutti 8:44

Last edited by bjornense; 09-22-2006 at 01:09 AM..