Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Peter Green
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-23-2006, 10:15 AM
Senior Ledgie

Default Duster Bennett - Bright Lights Big City 2CD

Hi, does anybody know some details about tracks with Greeny and FM on these CDs? ( "Jumping at Shadows" and ????? ).

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p...0:rtk0ikbsbbc9

Duster Bennett was the real thing. This was a cat who was a one-man blues band and who had a profound influence on his best mate, Peter Green. He also wrote one of the greatest British blues songs ever, "Jumping at Shadows." This two-CD collection with liner notes by Neil Slaven contains 41 tracks of Bennett recordings from his entire career, beginning in 1963 and ending when he was killed in a car accident in 1969 ?? (rather in 1976 ). Bennett, whose real name was Anthony, was a smoking harmonica player who could have taken Paul Butterfield in a throw down, a fine guitarist, a one-man rhythm machine, and a monster kazoo player in addition to being an expressive if not overly gifted singer. He was also a fine and prolific writer. The early stuff here, which is primarily home sessions, sounds wonderful and is full of a raw vigor and street savvy not even heard on Rolling Stones recordings in the early '60s. The mid-'60s material features Peter Green and other Fleetwood Mac members such as on "Jumping at Shadows," which appeared on his first Blue Horizon disc. The second disc is made up of some sessions with the Mac and highlights Bennett's increasing proficiency in the studio.
Old 11-23-2006, 12:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

that is unfortunately a rather mis-leading review - while the music is in fact a pleasure to listen to and Bennett is someone deserving of more attention, the collection only contains two tracks (home demos) featuring Green -
None of the material recorded for Blue Horizon is included (for those tracks pick up "The Complete Blue Horizon Sessions") as that contains the studio recordings with Green, McVie and Fleetwood (three tracks) and two live recordings featuring Green on bass
As to the home demos, three have been released and can be found on many different compilations - I would recommend "Jumping at Shadows" on Castle -

Similar to the Green era Fleetwood Mac, Bennett's best performances were most often captured outside the studio; BBC recordings, home demos and in live performances

There was also a series of discs (which I believe may be out of print now) featuring a vast area of those type of recordings and from which the "Bright Lights, Big City" collection are culled, that are worth tracking down

All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead
E. Vedder
Old 11-24-2006, 06:03 AM
Senior Ledgie

Default which tracks with Greeny ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynBlue View Post
, the collection only contains two tracks (home demos) featuring Green -
None of the material recorded for Blue Horizon is included (for those tracks pick up "The Complete Blue Horizon Sessions") as that contains the studio recordings with Green, McVie and Fleetwood (three tracks) and two live recordings featuring Green on bass
As to the home demos, three have been released and can be found on many different compilations - I would recommend "Jumping at Shadows" on Castle -

Similar to the Green era Fleetwood Mac, Bennett's best performances were most often captured outside the studio; BBC recordings, home demos and in live performances
Hi,
I have D. Bennett "The Complete Blue Horizon Sessions" (6 tracks with Greeny), D. Bennett - "Out in the Blue", P. Green FM - "Jumping at Shadows - the Blues Years" (5 tracks with Duster and Greeny).
Aditional tracks they're playing together on my CDs:
FM - Mr Wonderfull - 1 track
Memphis Slim - The Blue Memphis Suite - 5 tracks
B.B. King in London - 1 track

So I wonder on which tracks on Bright Lights Big City Greeny plays ) (the collection only contains two tracks (home demos) featuring Green)

Best regards
Krzysztof
Old 11-24-2006, 08:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kowk View Post
Hi,
I have D. Bennett "The Complete Blue Horizon Sessions" (6 tracks with Greeny), D. Bennett - "Out in the Blue", P. Green FM - "Jumping at Shadows - the Blues Years" (5 tracks with Duster and Greeny).
Aditional tracks they're playing together on my CDs:
FM - Mr Wonderfull - 1 track
Memphis Slim - The Blue Memphis Suite - 5 tracks
B.B. King in London - 1 track

So I wonder on which tracks on Bright Lights Big City Greeny plays ) (the collection only contains two tracks (home demos) featuring Green)

Best regards
Krzysztof
Actually they are 2 of the 5 tracks available on "Out Of The Blue"

Cheers,

Mario.
Old 11-25-2006, 12:41 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario View Post
Actually they are 2 of the 5 tracks available on "Out Of The Blue"

Cheers,

Mario.
Thanks for this information Mario )

Regards

Krzysztof
Old 11-28-2006, 04:18 PM
Junior Ledgie

Default Er...

It was 1976, I've still got a copy of Record Mirror with a brief obituary in it.