View Poll Results: Presidential Election~
Barack Obama (Dem) 19 63.33%
John McCain (Rep) 8 26.67%
Ralph Nadar (Ind) 3 10.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-09-2008, 08:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up The Ledge Mock Election: 2008

Alright, let's put this simply. The election is today.....What's the vote, and why?

My vote is Obama....We need change, simply put~
Old 07-09-2008, 01:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Woohoo, I'm the only republican so far.
Old 07-09-2008, 04:58 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlie View Post
Count me in on McCain. I disagree with McCain on some stuff here and there (like troop withdrawal); as for Obama...I like his stance on quite a few issues...but charismatic doesn't mean you can lead this country.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Will I don't care about the three man above,But I rather see Buckingham/Nicks ticket .it sounds good to me.Or the Fleetwood/McVie ticket might be a good choice, but seariously I have to go with Obama.I dont know if I can go another 4 years of a republican president.or is it Bush only.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 07-09-2008, 05:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Cool Personally...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfanforever View Post
Will I don't care about the three man above,But I rather see Buckingham/Nicks ticket .it sounds good to me.Or the Fleetwood/McVie ticket might be a good choice, but seariously I have to go with Obama.I dont know if I can go another 4 years of a republican president.or is it Bush only.
I cannot live another 4 years with IDIOTS running this country, be they Repubs or Demos - Which I do see likely come November.

But that's fine the world is ending on Dec.12,2012 (According to more IDIOTS) I can't wait, "it will be on EVERY channel plus Cable!!!"

Shatner/Satan in 2008 - Bad acting and pure evil...Just like now on Capitol Hill from BOTH idiotic parties!!!

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."

Last edited by estranged4life; 07-09-2008 at 05:42 PM..
Old 07-09-2008, 07:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittledemon View Post
Count me in on McCain. I disagree with McCain on some stuff here and there (like troop withdrawal); as for Obama...I like his stance on quite a few issues...but charismatic doesn't mean you can lead this country.
But if one can't even manage and keep their campaign together, do you think they'd be strong enough to manage the nation?
Old 07-10-2008, 10:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittledemon View Post
. . . but charismatic doesn't mean you can lead this country.
Interestingly, hasn't he demonstrated in spades that he can do just that. He and his campaign have inspired millions of previously apparently uninterested voters to come into the political circle. He then lead those people and others to defeat one of the most powerful political machines and person seen. To me, that demonstrates he is a leader of large proportion despite my dislike of him. So, I am confused by what you mean by leadership.

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 07-09-2008, 05:07 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlie View Post
Count me in too!

Nader? I remember when I was in high school, and this kid, was walking around through the halls on election day, just goofing off, shouting "don't be a hater vote for Nader!" Every time I hear his name I think of that!
Old 07-10-2008, 11:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharmedHour View Post
Count me in too!
I'm glad I'm not the only elephant on here!!!!! , I thought I was going to get my ass kicked for being one, but not so!
Old 07-10-2008, 11:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretchen View Post
I'm glad I'm not the only elephant on here!!!!! , I thought I was going to get my ass kicked for being one, but not so!
I do not think anyone dislikes you for it. For me, it is all about civil rights, where the R's are far too allegedly "christian" for my tastes as a Christian. Again, Christ lead by example and with love, which was His one true message, of many fantastic ones. Yet, we get these crazy men (mostly) espousing hate and IMO causing violent acts through blurred intent with hate speech all in the name of Christ, Who never did any such thing. That sickens me.

And, I am a conservative when it comes to the economy and defense. Sadly, W was not a true conservative in those two areas and we now have to pay the piper. So, how anyone could vote for four more years of the same old BS is beyond me.

I mean, I always hear my R friends say that R's lower taxes and that is all they really care about because they think (blindly incorrectly) that the social/civil rights issues do not effect "people like them." I always point out that while they may have gotten a $1,000 or so a year more under W's tax cuts (which I mostly supported mind you) -- they now have to pay the piper to the tune of likely three times that on top of their losses in the markets and in their homes. How could that shell game have been worth it? There usually is no coherent or accurate answer other that Oabama is a "liberal," as if that is like saying he is the anti-christ. I mean, Clinton (not really a liberal but often portrayed as one) balanced the budget and left the country in pretty good shape, esp. when compared to W McCain is only a continuation of that. Yet, people just cannot see that. Or, the idea of gays marrying and women getting abortions is just too much for them to handle.

Last edited by strandinthewind; 07-10-2008 at 11:57 AM..
Old 07-10-2008, 11:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretchen View Post
and four years ago you likely would have but alas most of the ass kicking lefties are either banned or moved on to hipper pastures.

Old 07-10-2008, 12:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

July 10, 2008
Op-Ed Columnist
The Audacity of Listening
By GAIL COLLINS
We have to have a talk about Barack Obama.

I know, I know. You’re upset. You think the guy you fell in love with last spring is spending the summer flip-flopping his way to the right. Drifting to the center. Going all moderate on you. So you’re withholding the love. Also possibly the money.

I feel your pain. I just don’t know what candidate you’re talking about.

Think back. Why, exactly, did you prefer Obama over Hillary Clinton in the first place? Their policies were almost identical — except his health care proposal was more conservative. You liked Barack because you thought he could get us past the old brain-dead politics, right? He talked — and talked and talked — about how there were going to be no more red states and blue states, how he was going to bring Americans together, including Republicans and Democrats.

Exactly where did everybody think this gathering was going to take place? Left field?

When an extremely intelligent politician tells you over and over and over that he is tired of the take-no-prisoners politics of the last several decades, that he is going to get things done and build a “new consensus,” he is trying to explain that he is all about compromise. Even if he says it in that great Baracky way.

Here’s a helpful story: Once upon a time, there was a woman searching for a guy who was ready to commit. One day, she met an attractive young man.

“My name is Chuck,” he said, grinning an infectious grin. “I’m planning to devote my entire life to saving endangered wildlife in the Antarctic. In five weeks I leave for the South Pole, where I will live alone in a tent, trying to convince the penguins that I am part of their flock. In the meantime, would you like to go out?”

“I have just met the man I’m going to marry,” she told her friends. She had been betrayed by poor listening skills, which skipped right over the South Pole and the tent. Of course, after five weeks of heavy dating, Chuck flew away and was never heard from again.

A year and a half of campaigning and we still haven’t heard Obama’s penguins, either. It’s not his fault that we missed the message — although to be fair, he did make it sound as if getting rid of the “old politics” involved driving out the oil and pharmaceutical lobbyists rather than splitting the difference on federal wiretapping legislation. But if you look at the political fights he’s picked throughout his political career, the main theme is not any ideology. It’s that he hates stupidity. “I don’t oppose all wars. What I am opposed to is a dumb war,” he said in 2002 in his big speech against the invasion of Iraq. He did not, you will notice, say he was against unilateral military action or pre-emptive attacks or nation-building. He was antidumb.

Most of the things Obama’s taken heat for saying this summer fall into these two familiar patterns — attempts to find a rational common ground on controversial issues and dumb-avoidance.

On the common-ground front, he’s called for giving more federal money to religious groups that run social programs, but only if the services they offer are secular. People can have guns for hunting and protection, but we should crack down on unscrupulous gun sellers. Putting some restrictions on the government’s ability to wiretap is better than nothing, even though he would rather have gone further.

Dumb-avoidance would include his opposing the gas-tax holiday, backtracking on the anti-Nafta pandering he did during the primary and acknowledging that if one is planning to go all the way to Iraq to talk to the generals, one should actually pay attention to what the generals say.

Touching both bases are Obama’s positions that 1) if people are going to ask him every day why he’s not wearing a flag pin, it’s easier to just wear the pin, for heaven’s sake, and 2) there’s nothing to be gained by getting into a fight over whether the death penalty can be imposed on child rapists.

His decision to ditch public campaign financing, on the other hand, was nothing but a complete, total, purebred flip-flop. If you are a person who feels campaign finance reform is the most important issue facing America right now, you should either vote for John McCain or go home and put a pillow over your head. However, I believe I have met every single person in the country for whom campaign finance reform is the tiptop priority, and their numbers are not legion.

Meanwhile, Obama has made it clear what issues he thinks all this cleverness and compromising are supposed to serve: national health care, a smart energy policy and getting American troops out of Iraq. He has tons of other concerns, but those seem to be the top three. There’s definitely a penguin in there somewhere.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/10/op...=1&oref=slogin

Old 07-11-2008, 11:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
and four years ago you likely would have but alas most of the ass kicking lefties are either banned or moved on to hipper pastures.
Ahem. I'm still here. I'm so dismayed by the last four years politically that if you want to vote for McCain then whatever. Plus as you know I am not a huge Obama fan. But I'm going to vote for him because nothing else makes any sense to me.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

where the F*&K is Gus Hall?
Old 07-09-2008, 03:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Sorry, My vote is going to the Shatner/Satan ticket...At least it will worth a waste this November.

Seriously, I dont like any of the 3 listed above.