The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

JTIS that I'm off work today feeling sick. Work is very stressful at the moment and all the worry has run me down. It's a vicious circle though, as I'm now worried about the fact that I'm not at work!......Anyway, today I'm curled up with my duvet and a cup of tea (because as all British people will tell you, a cup of tea solves almost anything!)

Old 02-07-2012, 07:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetinmyheart View Post
JTIS that I'm off work today feeling sick. Work is very stressful at the moment and all the worry has run me down. It's a vicious circle though, as I'm now worried about the fact that I'm not at work!......Anyway, today I'm curled up with my duvet and a cup of tea (because as all British people will tell you, a cup of tea solves almost anything!)
As the great Mr. Pegg once said, "Have a cup of Tea and wait for all this to blow over"
Old 02-07-2012, 09:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enchanted_Stevi View Post
JTIS...

That I didnt actually work today at the salon...I ended up doing some paper work and watching the manager cut some hair...which is awesome because I love her technique....I didnt get to do the meeting w/ the head hancho because she couldnt make it today....so the manager is gonna call me tmrw and I'll probs go in thursday.
Congratulations on getting the job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-07-2012, 10:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by APerfectLie View Post
I need to find a job in Austin so I can get away from this town and this "job" I currently work at now.
Maybe you could get a job working for Louie. You could clean and polish his motorbike on a regular basis.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I must have went to bed hungry because I had a dream I poured myself a bowl of cereal and then realized I was out of milk. In real life I am out of milk and was disapointed last night that there was none to go with my chinese food. BTW for those of you with inquiring minds, I only drink almond milk made by Blue Diamond, vanilla flavored.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

So today I got pre sale tickets for Madonna! YAY. I am so so so so so happy. 2012 is the year I finally get to see the woman I have idolised for so long live. I cannot wait.

Last edited by wild-heart; 02-07-2012 at 12:44 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 02-07-2012, 02:05 PM
Senior Ledgie

From CNN:

California's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage violates U.S. Constitution, appeals court in San Francisco rules.

Old 02-07-2012, 03:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild-heart View Post
So today I got pre sale tickets for Madonna! YAY. I am so so so so so happy. 2012 is the year I finally get to see the woman I have idolised for so long live. I cannot wait.
Congratulations! The first time I saw Madonna counts as one of my favorite moments in life. It was the BEST concert I've ever been to - I screamed so loud and danced so hard - I cried and laughed - it was cathartic, even spiritual.

I just checked the tour schedule today and I'm disappointed that she's not coming to Denver this time. I'm considering Phoenix, but the truth is I have so much going on this year that the very thought of adding one more event, one more trip, is almost enough to put me over the edge. If my partner will agree to a road trip, that would make me happy.

I'll probably go anyway. After all, it's Madonna!
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 02-07-2012, 04:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane_k View Post
From CNN:

California's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage violates U.S. Constitution, appeals court in San Francisco rules.

Right on! Best news I've heard in a long time.

Liberty and Justice for all.

It means for ALL.

I don't know what is so hard about that for supporters of Prop 8 and other biggoted legal initiatives to understand. Spiritual beliefs and religious beliefs are personal, and the American legal system is designed to prevent us from imposing our personal beliefs and prejudices upon others. We all have the right to worship or not, however we choose. None of us have the right to impose our religious beliefs upon anyone else. This protects all sides from persecution based on religion.

Some would say the legalization of gay marriage is effectively imposing someone else's personal beliefs upon them, but to that I say, marriage equality is a civil right, not a personal belief. Whether or not I marry another dude is not impacting anyone else's civil rights, and that is the issue at hand that will be decided if this goes further.

Speaking of which, supporters of Prop 8 will probably appeal and fight this all the way to the Supreme Court, but even though the court has a Conservative majority, I believe this will be a grave mistake for opponents of marriage equality which will result in the national legalization of gay marriage and the complete overturn of DOMA. Looking back through history, the Court has almost always upheld the rights of minorites when these kinds of issues are presented to them.

There is a lot of grumbling about the courts legislating (and there always has been and will be), but anyone with a rudimentary understanding of civics and American government will understand that that is the very purpose for which the U.S. Supreme Court -and indeed the entire American system of courts - exists in the first place - they are an equal branch of government, parallel to Congress and the President; a check and balance of power put in place by the founding fathers to ensure that the Congress and/or President (elected by the Majority) do not overstep their Constitutional authority and infringe upon the civil rights, liberties and justice of the Minority.

But enough, I'm rambling.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 02-07-2012, 04:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

JTIS...that I bought the new iphone today

~Love, Caitlin~
Old 02-07-2012, 05:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
Right on! Best news I've heard in a long time.

Liberty and Justice for all.

It means for ALL.

I don't know what is so hard about that for supporters of Prop 8 and other biggoted legal initiatives to understand. Spiritual beliefs and religious beliefs are personal, and the American legal system is designed to prevent us from imposing our personal beliefs and prejudices upon others. We all have the right to worship or not, however we choose. None of us have the right to impose our religious beliefs upon anyone else. This protects all sides from persecution based on religion.

Some would say the legalization of gay marriage is effectively imposing someone else's personal beliefs upon them, but to that I say, marriage equality is a civil right, not a personal belief. Whether or not I marry another dude is not impacting anyone else's civil rights, and that is the issue at hand that will be decided if this goes further.

Speaking of which, supporters of Prop 8 will probably appeal and fight this all the way to the Supreme Court, but even though the court has a Conservative majority, I believe this will be a grave mistake for opponents of marriage equality which will result in the national legalization of gay marriage and the complete overturn of DOMA. Looking back through history, the Court has almost always upheld the rights of minorites when these kinds of issues are presented to them.

There is a lot of grumbling about the courts legislating (and there always has been and will be), but anyone with a rudimentary understanding of civics and American government will understand that that is the very purpose for which the U.S. Supreme Court -and indeed the entire American system of courts - exists in the first place - they are an equal branch of government, parallel to Congress and the President; a check and balance of power put in place by the founding fathers to ensure that the Congress and/or President (elected by the Majority) do not overstep their Constitutional authority and infringe upon the civil rights, liberties and justice of the Minority.

But enough, I'm rambling.
I wish I could say that today's ruling was some kind of major milestone... but it was actually rather narrow in scope. All it really established was that the California ballot initiative (Prop 8) itself was unconstitutional, nothing more, nothing less. It doesn't make any kind of broad motion regarding equal protection under the California state constitution and its applicability towards the rights of GLBT. Really, all it may accomplish is potentially amending the California state constitution so that these kinds of intiatives, which really serve no purpose but to denigrate and dehumanize minorities, are never eligible for a ballot vote ever again. It may get appealed up to the U.S. Supreme Court, but the larger issue of GLBT marriage equality will not really be part of it.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
I wish I could say that today's ruling was some kind of major milestone... but it was actually rather narrow in scope. All it really established was that the California ballot initiative (Prop 8) itself was unconstitutional, nothing more, nothing less. It doesn't make any kind of broad motion regarding equal protection under the California state constitution and its applicability towards the rights of GLBT. Really, all it may accomplish is potentially amending the California state constitution so that these kinds of intiatives, which really serve no purpose but to denigrate and dehumanize minorities, are never eligible for a ballot vote ever again. It may get appealed up to the U.S. Supreme Court, but the larger issue of GLBT marriage equality will not really be part of it.
I'm hearing from the legal pundits that this will force the state to grant gay marriages again, and that previously voided marriages must be recognized again.

Not saying it's fact, but it's all over the national media.

Looking at similar issues elsewhere, it seems that when the courts rule that the State can't deny something, that the State must then grant it.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I'm hearing from the legal pundits that this will force the state to grant gay marriages again, and that previously voided marriages must be recognized again.

Not saying it's fact, but it's all over the national media.

Looking at similar issues elsewhere, it seems that when the courts rule that the State can't deny something, that the State must then grant it.
Yes, marriage equality will most likely be reinstated in California. It's significant... kinda... sorta. Personally I think state-recognized marriage is purely symbolic and doesn't mean very much. Federal recognition is what it is really all about. So my point was that this particular ruling will probably not have much national impact.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Congratulations! The first time I saw Madonna counts as one of my favorite moments in life. It was the BEST concert I've ever been to - I screamed so loud and danced so hard - I cried and laughed - it was cathartic, even spiritual.

I just checked the tour schedule today and I'm disappointed that she's not coming to Denver this time. I'm considering Phoenix, but the truth is I have so much going on this year that the very thought of adding one more event, one more trip, is almost enough to put me over the edge. If my partner will agree to a road trip, that would make me happy.

I'll probably go anyway. After all, it's Madonna!
I just looked at the ticket prices. Holy crapola! $375 to sit in practically another zip code from the stage in the middle of Yankee Stadium. I'm sorry, but what kind of idiot pays that kind of money to see a bunch of ants jumping around on a barely visible stage to a lip-synched backing track? Yes, she puts on a great show... but that's practically the cost of an iPad!
Old 02-07-2012, 07:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by holidayroad View Post
Congratulations on getting the job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks =) I'm sure I'll tell everyone how it is once I officially start working

~Love, Caitlin~