Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-16-2023, 02:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
I don’t think it was lack of confidence. I think she didn’t see the point in doing something outside of Fleetwood Mac when she was the main hit writer in the band. She wasn’t Stevie, with albums worth of unused songs, and she wasn’t Lindsey, with about a million different ways of killing a cow. So long as Mick and John were there with her, she was in her element.

Even on her 1984 album, John helped in the demo work for “Love Will Show Us How” and offered the inspiration for “The Challenge,” while Mick and Lindsey actually played on the album. Hell, she even brought back John Courage to be her manager. Fleetwood Mac was where her heart was.

Given all her hit singles, she hypothetically could have launched a comeback tour outside of Fleetwood Mac in 2013 with the core of her 1984 band plus whoever else. Wasn’t even joked about.
Yes. She has said she never wanted to do her 1984 solo album. It was Warner Brothers that wanted it. She would only do it with a partner which she liked playing and recording with Todd. A few music critics gave her flack for using Lindsey and Mick on her solo album i.e. what's the point of going solo if you sound like Fleetwood Mac and use the same band members.
Both Chris and Lindsey have expressed their disappointment in the lack of success in their solo careers. I think it hurt Lindsey more though. To be fair, the mid 80s were tough on all 70s bands. Even Stevie's slick embrace of 80s synth pop did not yield huge results. Although she was already established as a credible solo star. If there was no pop tune Talk To Me given to her and she had not recorded 2 prior successful solo albums, RAL would have been laughed at. Both Chris and Lindsey's 1984 solo albums are far superior to Stevie's 1985 RAL and she spent a fortune to record it over 2 years.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 06-16-2023 at 02:51 AM..
Old 06-16-2023, 06:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Even Stevie's slick embrace of 80s synth pop did not yield huge results. Although she was already established as a credible solo star. If there was no pop tune Talk To Me given to her and she had not recorded 2 prior successful solo albums, RAL would have been laughed at.
I always laugh when Stevie says The Wild Heart was every bit as successful as Bella Donna.

Stand Back was huge, thanks to Prince and her use of disco, but the album itself wasn't. If the album was huge, then Trouble in Shangri-La was huge too.
Old 06-16-2023, 07:58 AM

You also have to consider, in addition to her wanting to be in a band vs. solo ...she was in the band and toured more tours than LB and SN. By the time Tusk ended, I can imagine she wanted to breath before the next FM album / tour. She was also the band leader IMO during the Tango and especially BTM tours. It's a lot of work.
Old 06-16-2023, 01:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
1984 was the last Dont Stop on a grand piano. Once 1987 rolled along it was all electronic sounding piano.
That’s right. In October 1986, Yamaha released its KX88, the first completely programmable and assignable MIDI keyboard, and Christine picked that up for the 1987 tour, thanks to Dan Garfield. Before the KX88 and its terrific touch sensitivity and weighted hammer action, if you wanted a grand piano, you had to rely on a real grand or a handful of modules or the DX7 (which had no hammer action). Not super-duper.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 06-16-2023, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
That’s right. In October 1986, Yamaha released its KX88, the first completely programmable and assignable MIDI keyboard, and Christine picked that up for the 1987 tour, thanks to Dan Garfield. Before the KX88 and its terrific touch sensitivity and weighted hammer action, if you wanted a grand piano, you had to rely on a real grand or a handful of modules or the DX7 (which had no hammer action). Not super-duper.
I wonder what it would feel like trying to play 'Don't Stop' with all it's shuffles and funky stuff, on non-weighted keys.
Old 06-17-2023, 05:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I wonder what it would feel like trying to play 'Don't Stop' with all it's shuffles and funky stuff, on non-weighted keys.
I have tried. My fingers kept slipping off the keys. And the sound wasn't great. When there are no dynamics (other than loud or soft) the shuffle sounds like crap.
Old 06-18-2023, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
I have tried. My fingers kept slipping off the keys. And the sound wasn't great. When there are no dynamics (other than loud or soft) the shuffle sounds like crap.
I bet! And the left hand is constantly doing intervals that need bounce.