User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-11-2015, 05:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default unreleased "blues jam @ chess" acetates

hi, folks!

i don't know if this has ever been discussed here on the board (couldn't trace it):

in my "archives" i rediscovered a cassette with an "alternate" (sort of) version of "blues jam at chess", which i aquired some 30 years ago. with the release of "the complete blue horizon sessions" most of this cassette's contents have lost their relevance. BUT . . . there are still some stones left unturned these days!

the sound quality is admittedly far from what one could wish for: dropouts, cuts, slightly varying volume level, sound and even tape speed don't really increase the listening experience (no first generation tape). a few of these tracks, though, are STILL UNRELEASED the way they appear here! originally they must've been taken from early acetates of the sessions, as crackles from the records are clearly evident in places. but neglecting all that, one is rewarded with some unedited original versions of these recordings!

i tried to share the most interesting parts on youtube (i'm pretty old-fashioned and i don't have a soundcloud account or something like that), resulting in the audio being instantly muted as soon as soon as i had uploaded it! (why me? other people uploading endlessly hq audio stuff without being bothered at all! boo-hoo! any ideas on effectively solving that problem, anyone? maybe, if you are capable of handling that, i might provide you with the mp3 files, so you can find a way of sharing this with all interested parties out there . . . feel free to pm me)

anyway, here's a short run-down of the tracks diverging from their officially released versions:

1. WATCH OUT - start sadly missing, but there are 2 choruses here that had ended up on the cutting room floor for the released version. not that they would reveal too much musical genius or brilliance, and the reasons for their later omission are rather clear (in the first vocal chorus, for instance, mike vernon obviously had forgotten to open peter green's vocal mic in time. so if you ever wondered why peter started singing with the SECOND verse - here's the answer.). but, hey - it was a jam session, so what the f"*k?
2. SOUTH INDIANA (TAKE 2) - here with a false start that had also been cut out.
3. RED HOT JAM (TAKE 1) - there's an incomplete rehearsal before the actual take 1 of this. the officially released track is a crossfaded combination of that rehearsal and take 1. here both parts appear in their entirety.
4. UNTITLED INSTRUMENTAL - end part of a probably impromptu jamming while mike vernon put on another tape reel (i suppose) and thus only cut in.

and of course there's more of the chat and banter inbetween the tracks, though i haven't taken the time for an examination as to the detailled extend of that.

as already mentioned, this is a tape copy (3rd or 4th generation, i suppose) and thus not directly taken from the acetates, but the acetates are definitely the original source.

now, YOUR opinion on this is very welcome!
martin

p.s. or has anybody got a cleaner / better quality version of this stuff? then lemmie know!

Last edited by lazy poker; 04-11-2015 at 07:28 AM.. Reason: adding info
Old 04-12-2015, 07:51 AM
Senior Ledgie

Very interesting!

GJK
Old 04-23-2015, 02:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I want to thank you for bringing this one up as when I received it I was so put off with the poor sound (as a collector you’d think I’d be used to it) and the seeming lack of any really “new” material, that I really did not give it too close a listen.
Upon closer listening, there were items of interest to be found, but as you stated, little that was revelatory.
I’d like to add to your list that the “Untitled Instrumental” (that’s the one that would catch the eye of most Fleetwood Mac / Peter Green fans) is in fact ‘Honey Boy Blues’, found on the “Complete Blue Horizon Sessions” box set, along with twenty other of the bootleg’s twenty four tracks.
The only member of Fleetwood Mac really heard playing on the track is Mick Fleetwood. Green adds a few notes (if any) near the end, but really it is Honeyboy Edwards’ number.
‘Bobby’s Rock’ has some studio chatter on the head of the official release not found on the bootleg. And rather than being at the end of Spencer’s set, as on the box set, it is the first track heard with him leading the band.

The bootleg does have a false start on ‘Madison Blues’ which goes into Spencer vocalizing how he would like it played, which would have been nice to have on the official release.
Similarly, Vernon trimmed the warm-ups and some of the studio chatter from ‘Talk With You’ and ‘Like It This Way’, but to me, those are no real losses.

All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead
E. Vedder
Old 04-23-2015, 04:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynBlue View Post
I want to thank you for bringing this one up as when I received it I was so put off with the poor sound (as a collector you’d think I’d be used to it) and the seeming lack of any really “new” material, that I really did not give it too close a listen.
Upon closer listening, there were items of interest to be found, but as you stated, little that was revelatory.
I’d like to add to your list that the “Untitled Instrumental” (that’s the one that would catch the eye of most Fleetwood Mac / Peter Green fans) is in fact ‘Honey Boy Blues’, found on the “Complete Blue Horizon Sessions” box set, along with twenty other of the bootleg’s twenty four tracks.
The only member of Fleetwood Mac really heard playing on the track is Mick Fleetwood. Green adds a few notes (if any) near the end, but really it is Honeyboy Edwards’ number.
‘Bobby’s Rock’ has some studio chatter on the head of the official release not found on the bootleg. And rather than being at the end of Spencer’s set, as on the box set, it is the first track heard with him leading the band.

The bootleg does have a false start on ‘Madison Blues’ which goes into Spencer vocalizing how he would like it played, which would have been nice to have on the official release.
Similarly, Vernon trimmed the warm-ups and some of the studio chatter from ‘Talk With You’ and ‘Like It This Way’, but to me, those are no real losses.
thanks so much, bklynblue, for your additions on that matter. the identification of "honey boy blues" slipped through my fingers somehow.
well, obviously there doesn't seem to be a better quality version of this stuff in circulation. for me the really stunning aspect is the fact that, although the whole album is nothing more than a jam session (thus the title, and quite rightly so), mike vernon deemed it necessary to put some sweetening touches to these recordings AT ALL . . . and he held on to it even for the so-called "complete blue horizon sessions" - oh well!