The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-10-2014, 12:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I wasn't completely sold on this song the first time I listened to the album, but I am now. The lyrics are sweet and longing, yet there's an eeriness running through the whole thing (as Stevie described the recording of Angel ) Definitely in my top 5 of 24K.
Old 10-10-2014, 01:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
There are master reel demos that end the same way.

The "everyone must remain", I am convinced, was mandated by Lindsey, to ensure that Stevie's lyrics made sense ('cause he *would* tell Bob Dylan that ), for inclusion on Mirage.
Very interesting. Thanks for the that insight. Yet her own Street Angel take of the song also had her singing "everyone must remain faithful. Lindsey wasn't around for that; But Bob Dylan was! (I still can't believe she got him to play harmonica on her version of Just Like a Woman).
Old 10-12-2014, 08:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontlookdown View Post
I'm finding this song to be sort of mesmerizing.
I never heard any of the demos - so I have a fresh perspective.
It sounds like she found a place she was never able to get to on
In Your Dreams. It's pretty magical.
Reminds me of How Still My Love a little.
If You Were My Love is my favorite track on this album - hands down. I like what you wrote about the song. I couldn't have said it better.

"..if I were the one.. who watched over your sleeping... you would never have been frightened.. at all.." my favorite lyric from "24 Karat Gold"
Old 10-16-2014, 07:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Nop...I definitely believe that the demo version of 1982 kicks every other version I even heard. Is fast, is deep, the piano is amazing, the backing vocals of Lindsey are great, the passion of Stevie is wonderful.
The slower versions are ok, but sometimes it's a shame when a "moved" song turns into a "slow" one, and it just doesn't change again...

And Twisted...the duo version is unique, the only one, and the best.

Regards!
Mark.
Old 10-16-2014, 10:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
Nop...I definitely believe that the demo version of 1982 kicks every other version I even heard. Is fast, is deep, the piano is amazing, the backing vocals of Lindsey are great, the passion of Stevie is wonderful.
The slower versions are ok, but sometimes it's a shame when a "moved" song turns into a "slow" one, and it just doesn't change again...

And Twisted...the duo version is unique, the only one, and the best.

Regards!
Mark.

I must agree. I do like the released version of I YWML but the 1982 version with the MAC is what I have always preferred. Maybe an outtake from a Mirage remaster?
Old 10-16-2014, 10:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLY View Post
I must agree. I do like the released version of I YWML but the 1982 version with the MAC is what I have always preferred. Maybe an outtake from a Mirage remaster?
The Rumours version of Planets Of The Universe wasn't officially released until after TISL, so maybe now that her definitive version is out, they can put the outtake version on a remaster or something. I don't know how much they care about re-mastering Mirage, but it would be nice.
Old 10-16-2014, 10:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoursAndHours View Post
maybe now that her definitive version is out, they can put the outtake version on a remaster or something. I don't know how much they care about re-mastering Mirage, but it would be nice.
God, a "Mirage" re-master would be incredible! They could also release the really angry outtake of "Smile At You" as well. And a crisper, louder version of the extended "Gypsy" that appeared on the Mac's 1992 boxed set.
Old 10-16-2014, 10:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer999 View Post
God, a "Mirage" re-master would be incredible! They could also release the really angry outtake of "Smile At You" as well. And a crisper, louder version of the extended "Gypsy" that appeared on the Mac's 1992 boxed set.
Was Teen Beat from the Mirage sessions as well?

I would actually really love remastered versions of Mirage and Tango with all the b-sides and outtakes compiled in one (quality) recording.
Old 10-16-2014, 10:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
There are master reel demos that end the same way.

The "everyone must remain", I am convinced, was mandated by Lindsey, to ensure that Stevie's lyrics made sense ('cause he *would* tell Bob Dylan that ), for inclusion on Mirage.
Very funny!
Old 10-17-2014, 09:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer999 View Post
Until they do, here's a nice louder (and I think crisper) mix for "Gypsy" that I sourced from the 1992 boxed set. Hope you like it:
http://www.mediafire.com/listen/m0nm...-_enhanced.wav
Be sure to download the file - the streamed version that the link takes you to never sounds so great.
Old 10-18-2014, 02:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I have not gotten bored with song yet and I've listened to it over 300 times. Pure magic!
Old 10-18-2014, 01:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm in love with the new version! It's so dreamy. I really do get lost in the musical arrangement which is perfectly matched with the lyrics.

I do love the "Mirage" rough outtake - tho mostly because of Stevies "Mirage" era vocal - but the upbeat chorus, then going back to slower pace verses is jarring. It feels like FM couldn't quite find the right arrangement or tempo for this song, and decided to abandon it.

This new version is definitive to me, while still being able to enjoy the quirks and great moments that came through all the demos and outtakes of this song til now.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:07 PM
Ledgie

The 24K version is my favorite of "If You Were My Love" ... my second favorite being the early piano/voice demo.

BUT...when I'm driving in my car and listening to it I can't help but insert the STREET ANGEL back-up vocals after "crosses to bear" lol. Anyone else? :P
Old 10-29-2014, 08:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Perfection

Best I have heard
Old 11-07-2014, 08:18 PM
Registered

Is it me, or does the piano sound like a three year old played it? I could make a better piano overdub with garageband (if i could get rid of the original piano)