User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-13-2014, 06:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
has anyone found the pic of Sulamith that she's talking about in the photo booklet??

I'll have to give it a search when I get home today.

It's in the bottom right corner of the collage page of the cd booklet. It's also in the same spot in the collage page of the album inner sleeve. Not sure if it's actually in the photo booklet though.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer999 View Post
The commentary for "24KG" (the song) is kinda lame.

"It's about Mick and he loves that!" is basically all she's saying. Can we expound a little more, Miss Nicks? It's only the BEST song on the record!
Maybe it's force of habit. Maybe most of the time when she says, "It's about Mick" everyone responds, "Oh. Say no more, Stevie."

Michele
Old 10-17-2014, 06:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

So, still no commentary for:

Starshine
If You Were My Love
Twisted
Blue Water
Cathouse Blues
She Loves Him Still
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 10-20-2014, 12:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
So, still no commentary for:

Starshine
If You Were My Love
Twisted
Blue Water
Cathouse Blues
She Loves Him Still
I just finished watching all the commentaries back to back that we've gotten so far. I would think they've recorded commentaries for every song, including the ones listed above that we haven't seen yet.

I'm really interested to watch/hear the rest, notably "Blue Water" as it was my favorite demo, but ESPECIALLY "If You Were My Love", because she's never really talked about this song, and I'm chomping at the bit to get more insight on this one. "24 Karat", "Watch Chain" and "All The Beautiful Worlds" are my top three songs from this record...

...but my "secret favorite" is "IYWML"...because of the atmosphere, the flawless vocal, the timeless aspect of it (you really can't pinpoint a musical era here) and the fact that, even in 10, 20, 30 years, it will never sound "dated".

So yeah...more commentaries, please!!!
Old 01-04-2015, 01:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default "Starshine" commentary

I just happened upon this on YouTube tonight...

Strange because I've never seen this, yet it says it was published on YouTube way back in October. Surely it wasn't added to her "channel" until recently, though, because it only has about 500+ views so far.

Also interesting to note is that the link to the commentary for "Mabel Normand" has been taken off the list of videos from her official YouTube channel. The link still works, though...at least the one that's in this thread...but if you type it in YouTube search, nothing comes up. Anyone think that has anything to do with the hissy fit that Mabel Normand's great grand nephew had about the song?
Old 01-04-2015, 01:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Still missing...

"IYWML"
"Twisted"
"Blue Water"
"Cathouse..."
"SLHS"

BOOOOOOO!!!
Old 01-04-2015, 02:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I just finished watching all the commentaries back to back that we've gotten so far. I would think they've recorded commentaries for every song, including the ones listed above that we haven't seen yet.

I'm really interested to watch/hear the rest, notably "Blue Water" as it was my favorite demo, but ESPECIALLY "If You Were My Love", because she's never really talked about this song, and I'm chomping at the bit to get more insight on this one. "24 Karat", "Watch Chain" and "All The Beautiful Worlds" are my top three songs from this record...

...but my "secret favorite" is "IYWML"...because of the atmosphere, the flawless vocal, the timeless aspect of it (you really can't pinpoint a musical era here) and the fact that, even in 10, 20, 30 years, it will never sound "dated".

So yeah...more commentaries, please!!!
If You Were My Love is one of her best atmospheric songs ever. My favorite song from her since Gypsy. I want the commentary too.
Old 01-04-2015, 02:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Maybe it's force of habit. Maybe most of the time when she says, "It's about Mick" everyone responds, "Oh. Say no more, Stevie."

Michele
She loves to tell about the contextual back stories of the songs; the where and when and with who. I prefer this to her explaining the subject matter of the songs,which I don't take too seriously. Only parts of her songs are inspired by or about a certain someone or situation; most of her lyrics are usually an oblique mish-mash of two kinds of thoughts - some direct, others which only make sense in her mind: one for the way you walk, and one for the way you love me.

There is little use to ask her what a song is about; asking her about what or who inspired the song would be more productive. She has said that her songs have different meanings at different times, so they have a fluidity to them. It's her unique strength, but also her limitation, which is highlighted when she writes topical songs outside the realms of her dreamworld.

Landslide seems to be the only song that , over time, has elevated to universal/anthem status. The lyrics are personal and aren't laden with esoteric phrases (slightly so: I took my love, I took it down. She explained it as taking a box down from a shelf in her dreamworld). Accompanied by an understated arrangement, there is enough relatable imagery and simple metaphor, sung in first person, for anyone to connect with.

Her song The Second Time sounds like a failed attempt to capture the Landslide aura. But it's written and sung without any vulnerability. She sings it mostly the third person, with awkward phrasing and shifting tenses. And most people can't relate to being "used to a Hollywood living." The "second time" concept has no legs.

Opps! I just realized my train of thought ran off the tracks from the original thread subject matter. Sorry.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 01-04-2015 at 05:16 AM..
Old 01-04-2015, 03:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I just happened upon this on YouTube tonight...

Score! Thanks for posting.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 11-17-2016, 01:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Billboard 10/18/2016 by Keith Caulfield , Katie Atkinson

http://www.billboard.com/articles/co...ks-sheryl-crow

Pop Shop Podcast: Stevie Nicks Previews 24 Karat Gold Tour & Sheryl Crow Teases Two New Albums

Welcome to the new episode of the Billboard.com Pop Shop Podcast, Billboard's weekly audio breakdown of the Billboard charts, hottest music news and year's biggest musical events. Casual pop fans and chart junkies can hear Billboard co-director of charts Keith Caulfield and Billboard.com senior editor Katie Atkinson every Tuesday on the Pop Shop Podcast, which can be streamed on Billboard.com or downloaded in iTunes (click here to listen to the previous Tuesday’s edition of the show on Billboard.com).

On the latest Pop Shop Podcast, it’s a special edition of the show featuring two superstar leading ladies of music: Stevie Nicks and Sheryl Crow!
Old 11-19-2016, 11:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
She loves to tell about the contextual back stories of the songs; the where and when and with who. I prefer this to her explaining the subject matter of the songs,which I don't take too seriously. Only parts of her songs are inspired by or about a certain someone or situation; most of her lyrics are usually an oblique mish-mash of two kinds of thoughts - some direct, others which only make sense in her mind: one for the way you walk, and one for the way you love me.

There is little use to ask her what a song is about; asking her about what or who inspired the song would be more productive. She has said that her songs have different meanings at different times, so they have a fluidity to them. It's her unique strength, but also her limitation, which is highlighted when she writes topical songs outside the realms of her dreamworld.

Landslide seems to be the only song that , over time, has elevated to universal/anthem status. The lyrics are personal and aren't laden with esoteric phrases (slightly so: I took my love, I took it down. She explained it as taking a box down from a shelf in her dreamworld). Accompanied by an understated arrangement, there is enough relatable imagery and simple metaphor, sung in first person, for anyone to connect with.

Her song The Second Time sounds like a failed attempt to capture the Landslide aura. But it's written and sung without any vulnerability. She sings it mostly the third person, with awkward phrasing and shifting tenses. And most people can't relate to being "used to a Hollywood living." The "second time" concept has no legs.

Opps! I just realized my train of thought ran off the tracks from the original thread subject matter. Sorry.
Love it, truth. And so much of it is about "the joys and pains of being Stevie Nicks," as Rolling Stone put it (I think it was RS) in an article I came across recently that was trashing a WH show.

FWIW captures the Landslide thing fairly well.
Old 11-20-2016, 01:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmaletic View Post
It's in the bottom right corner of the collage page of the cd booklet. It's also in the same spot in the collage page of the album inner sleeve. Not sure if it's actually in the photo booklet though.
I don't have access to mine, it's packed away..can anyone post a snapshot?
Old 11-20-2016, 10:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

If she has a lot of songs, I hope she gives some to Fleetwood Mac and do a solo and an album with them. I would love for Forest of the Black Roses and Sanctuary to be recorded. And maybe fitting for them to re-do Fireflies for their last studio effort.