Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-05-2004, 11:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Blue Letter

Random question here, but maybe someone can help me out.

The Curtis Brothers wrote "Blue Letter". I believe they also recorded the song for an album of their own too. Did they record it before or after they let Fleetwood Mac record it for Fleetwood Mac?

Anyone know? Thanks for the help in advance.
Old 05-05-2004, 01:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I've always understood that the Curtis Brothers were in the midst of recording the song, when FM heard it and asked if they could record it too.
So their recordings were fairly simultaneous.

Of course, that could just be one of the many "myths & legends" in Fleetwood Mac's history.

Maybe David and chiliD can offer more info!
Old 05-05-2004, 02:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew
I've always understood that the Curtis Brothers were in the midst of recording the song, when FM heard it and asked if they could record it too.

So their recordings were fairly simultaneous.
That's correct. BUT, the Curtis Bros. album that included it wasn't released for about a year or so after Fleetwood Mac.

It's really amazing how much the Curtis Bros version sounds like On The Border era Eagles. (And, how conspicuous by its absence John McVie's bass line is!)
Old 05-05-2004, 05:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thank you both!
Old 05-05-2004, 08:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

John's bass line does really make the song come alive and is one of the reasons Blue Letter came #4 in my favorite Lindsey song list.

He Will Burn You Down
Old 02-04-2014, 05:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Herald Review, by Tim Cain, February 4, 2014

http://herald-review.com/blogs/tim_c...9bb2963f4.html

365 of the Greatest Songs You've Probably Never Heard: Day 22 -

I love playing this 1975 song for people who talk about how much they love Fleetwood Mac, because this is a lot like The Beach Boys' "Feel Flows" from a couple of days ago. Lindsey Buckingham found this song, made it his own, and it's one of the band's greatest deep cuts.

Fleetwood Mac- Blue Letter
Old 02-04-2014, 07:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Herald Review, by Tim Cain, February 4, 2014

http://herald-review.com/blogs/tim_c...9bb2963f4.html

365 of the Greatest Songs You've Probably Never Heard: Day 22 -

I love playing this 1975 song for people who talk about how much they love Fleetwood Mac, because this is a lot like The Beach Boys' "Feel Flows" from a couple of days ago. Lindsey Buckingham found this song, made it his own, and it's one of the band's greatest deep cuts.

Fleetwood Mac- Blue Letter
ha! I was watching them play this last night on the Mirage tour DVD- the little roll of the eyes/sneer every time Lindsey says the words "won't be waitin' around for you." Always so entertaining they are.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:14 PM

Lindsey did such a great job with this tune. I love the energy.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Curtis Bros. - Blue Letter

Sounds a little like Billy Burnette to me.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 02-05-2014, 01:12 PM
Junior Ledgie

Does anybody know the difference between the album version of "Blue Letter" and the single remix version on the "Fleetwood Mac" remaster cd?
Old 02-05-2014, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversprings99 View Post
Does anybody know the difference between the album version of "Blue Letter" and the single remix version on the "Fleetwood Mac" remaster cd?
Just from memory, the single version sounds more of a live feel.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

If you think about it, there is no reason why 'Blue letter' shouldn't be included in the upcoming tour. It suits Lindsey and Stevie's vocal range and would be a great song to include seeing that lots of people probably have never heard of it and it's so great!!!
Old 02-05-2014, 09:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickney723 View Post
ha! I was watching them play this last night on the Mirage tour DVD- the little roll of the eyes/sneer every time Lindsey says the words "won't be waitin' around for you." Always so entertaining they are.
But.....yet! He's seems to still be waiting....
Old 02-05-2014, 10:05 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversprings99 View Post
The mix differences between the LP and single versions of "Blue Letter" are more subtle than those for the other singles from the white album. The two mixes are pretty similar, with the main differences being in the emphasis on the electric guitar tracks, different levels of reverb on the vocals, and more compression on the single mix giving it a slightly more "AM radio" feel.

The most audible difference is in the first measure of the intro, for which the LP mix has an electric guitar in the left channel that is not present on the single mix (the lead electric guitar lick kicks in at :04 on both versions). Also, on the single version the electric guitar lick following the "red bird" line at :42 is much more prominent on the single mix. There are probably some other obvious differences like those sprinkled throughout, but those are the ones that jumped out at me.

Although I'm often a fan of single mixes, this is one case where I feel that the LP version sounds more like a "hit" than the single mix. Come to think of it, I don't really care for any of the single mixes from the white album. OMH's single mix is harsh sounding and diminishes the wistful feel of the LP version, the extra reverb on the "Rhiannon" single mix doesn't really add much, and for SYLM the extra electric guitar sounds tacked on and doesn't really gel with the song.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by drzubritsky View Post
Come to think of it, I don't really care for any of the single mixes from the white album. OMH's single mix is harsh sounding and diminishes the wistful feel of the LP version, the extra reverb on the "Rhiannon" single mix doesn't really add much, and for SYLM the extra electric guitar sounds tacked on and doesn't really gel with the song.
What are you listening to the single mixes through? Your regular home stereo system? In that case, then yes, the single mixes are going to sound a bit harsh. Now, if you listen to them through a car stereo or boom box, those single mixes will sound a whole lot better because that is what they were mixed to be heard through.

The extra electric guitar in SYLM is how Lindsey plays the song in concert...apparently, they mixed the single with that part enhanced to give it more of a "live" feel.