Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-23-2004, 09:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Pbs

After the recent ABC-bashing thread, I thought I'd add a positive one. Anybody else love PBS?
Today I'm showing "Warrior Challenge: Episode I (Romans)" in my classes. The kids are into it.
Give me a good history documentary (or reality show, in this case) and I'm happy.

- Jake
Old 04-23-2004, 10:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Of course...

I love PBS too. I think it often brings some much needed history and culture to our abyssmal world of television. Plus, volunteering to answer the phones on their annual money drives is so much fun. Last time I got to see the set of Zoom.

Shamus
Old 04-23-2004, 10:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I truly do love PBS. From their history specials to travel programs to the programming they bring from other countries (Made In Canada and The Newsroom are two of my favorite shows of all time), PBS brings a variety of great programing to the airways. Wow. I sound like a public service announcement for PBS.
Old 04-23-2004, 10:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenStateGirlie
I truly do love PBS. From their history specials to travel programs to the programming they bring from other countries (Made In Canada and The Newsroom are two of my favorite shows of all time), PBS brings a variety of great programing to the airways. Wow. I sound like a public service announcement for PBS.
Oh yeah, the travel shows. I like the Rick Steves series.

- Jake
Old 04-23-2004, 10:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShamHy89
I love PBS too. I think it often brings some much needed history and culture to our abyssmal world of television. Plus, volunteering to answer the phones on their annual money drives is so much fun. Last time I got to see the set of Zoom.

Shamus
How often have you done the phone thing? Maybe I'll do that some time.

- Jake
Old 04-23-2004, 10:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I love PBS...but never really had an appreciation for it until I started working at an NPR affiliate...and right upstairs from us is a PBS affiliate...and also my appreciation has grown since my nephew has been around...

The children's programming is really good, especially Magic School Bus...very cool..and most of them are very educational..which is also good...

As for me, the PBS station here shows a couple of Brit-coms which I love and I also enjoy history programs etc...
Old 04-23-2004, 10:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerDeanna
I

As for me, the PBS station here shows a couple of Brit-coms which I love ...
The only ones I've seen and enjoyed are Keeping Up Appearances and Mr. Bean. Everyone I know loves Faulty Towers and Are You Being Served, but I've never gotten into them. (On the home front, I'm the only person who hasn't developed a taste for MASH, apparently.)

- Jake
Old 04-23-2004, 11:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I love it as well, but I hardly ever watch it... or any TV for that matter. Too many siblings hogging the television 24/7

"Being in this band really f**** up relationships with chicks."
-Lindsey Buckingham

"Lindsey and I were as close to married as I'll probably ever be. I took care of him, I cooked for him, I ironed his jeans, I adored him."
-Stevie Nicks

"Quite frankly, I think I can presume on Stevie's behalf that she wasn't too sad seeing Lindsey go."
-Mick Fleetwood

"I play bass."
-John McVie.

I love this band.
Old 04-23-2004, 12:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siri Ruane
I love it as well, but I hardly ever watch it... or any TV for that matter. Too many siblings hogging the television 24/7
I grew up in one of those houses with a TV in every room.
You know, 1970s-style day-care.

- Jake
Old 04-23-2004, 01:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I love PBS. Frontline is one of the best shows on TV. The one they just aired about John O'Neill was superb. I love all of the Britcoms that they play on the weekends (especially "The Viccar of Dibley") and I'm so happy that we finally got a new Prime Suspect. And the one around here plays "The Goodbye Girl" constantly, and I love that movie.

Old 04-23-2004, 01:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I don't get it. E-mailed my cable provider to complain - never got a reply.

Old 04-23-2004, 01:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklinensuit
Oh yeah, the travel shows. I like the Rick Steves series.

- Jake
I like Travels with Rick Steves a lot. Except it always looks like it was filmed 10 years ago...even the newer episodes.

On our station they puts the playhouse series on (i can't think of what it's actually called). For instance, recently they've been showing The Women starring Cynthia Nixon (with a host of other famous actresses as well) and they've also show Crazy For You and a few other musicals and plays.

Even though BBC plays them now, Coupling is on PBS here as is Monarch of the Glen, both of which I really like (Jake, you actually remind me of the one guy on Monarch )
Old 04-23-2004, 01:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I had the misfortune to work for a PBS affiliate. As a result, I will never again donate a single dollar to PBS. To see how funds raised by the station were misused by management would turn your stomach. Fancy catered luncheons & dinners for board members, lavish banquets & balls meant to lure high-dollar contributors (it didn't work), Cell phones for everyone at the station-and the money spent on constantly redecorating offices alone would blow your mind. I kinda went off PBS altogether after that experience. But once upon a time, yeah, I'll admit, I did like their shows.
Old 04-23-2004, 02:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I like PBS. Interesting content, and I did two movies for them that were great fun. Low budget, but great fun.
Old 04-23-2004, 02:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklinensuit
I grew up in one of those houses with a TV in every room.
You know, 1970s-style day-care.

- Jake
Yet another reason I should have been bored 20 years earlier!

"Being in this band really f**** up relationships with chicks."
-Lindsey Buckingham

"Lindsey and I were as close to married as I'll probably ever be. I took care of him, I cooked for him, I ironed his jeans, I adored him."
-Stevie Nicks

"Quite frankly, I think I can presume on Stevie's behalf that she wasn't too sad seeing Lindsey go."
-Mick Fleetwood

"I play bass."
-John McVie.

I love this band.