The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-20-2004, 11:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

There are so many bad things about SUVs that I still wonder how the hell they are being sold legally.

They're not only unsafe to the people who drive and ride in them, they're dangerous to all of us becasue of the damage they do to our environment. They're gas guzzlers, man. They aren't economical and the constant refueling burns holes in the pockets of people who drive them. All so some people can drive their freaking Exxon Valdez's. Gimme a break. The reason they're on the market is to put money in the pockets of the gas and oil companies over and over and over. And no one gives a **** because they have to get Jimmy to his soccer game and then take the whole team out for pizza after the big win.

An SUV is the car of choice for America's most self-centered people.

Old 04-20-2004, 11:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
There are so many bad things about SUVs that I still wonder how the hell they are being sold legally.

They're not only unsafe to the people who drive and ride in them, they're dangerous to all of us becasue of the damage they do to our environment. They're gas guzzlers, man. They aren't economical and the constant refueling burns holes in the pockets of people who drive them. All so some people can drive their freaking Exxon Valdez's. Gimme a break. The reason they're on the market is to put money in the pockets of the gas and oil companies over and over and over. And no one gives a **** because they have to get Jimmy to his soccer game and then take the whole team out for pizza after the big win.

An SUV is the car of choice for America's most self-centered people.
Bless your heart Is this the great liberal arguing that people, like me, who need the size of an SUV should have to shell out cash or depend on a friend who has one everytime I need to haul something I mean what about people who cannot afford to hire an truck and who have no friends who have a truck I guess they do not matter in your equation P.S. anyone who borrows a truck or SUV is just as guilty as the person who buys it - no?

Finally, as I said before, the new hybrid SUV's, which appear to be the coming reality, get far better gas mileage than your Beetle Will you be so opposed next year when they are out? In fact, most SUV's get similar gas mileage to most midsized to large sedans.

save the cheerleader - save the world

Last edited by strandinthewind; 04-20-2004 at 11:25 AM..
Old 04-20-2004, 11:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind
Bless your heart Is this the great liberal arguing that people, like me, who need the size of an SUV should have to shell out cash or depend on a friend who has one everytime I need to haul something I mean what about people who cannot afford to hire an truck and who have no friends who have a truck I guess they do not matter in your equation P.S. anyone who borrows a truck or SUV is just as guilty as the person who buys it - no?

Finally, as I said before, the new hybrid SUV's, which appear to be the coming reality, get far better gas mileage than your Beetle Will you be so opposed next year when they are out? In fact, most SUV's get similar gas mileage to most midsized to large sedans.
Most SUV's get an average of 12 to the gallon, look it up.

This is the great liberal arguing that we don't need more pollution in our atmosphere. Like I said, the people who buy SUV's are America's most self-serving. They need the extra room, blah blah blah, so the environment and safety of the roads be damned. And if someone abstains from buying an SUV and decides to just borrow it from someone who already owns one for certain trips, it's better than buying a new SUV to add even more pollution. One is better than two, Jason. The fact is, the general consensus in our country is that it's all about the individual, not the whole. And, frankly, it's sickening. People don't care that their gas guzzling Exxon's are causing irreperable damage to the environment. Maybe we need a gas tax of $1 just to discourage the buying of such vehicles. I'd vote in support of it.

Old 04-20-2004, 11:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default My problem...

Quote:
I mean what about people who cannot afford to hire an truck and who have no friends who have a truck I guess they do not matter in your equation P.S. anyone who borrows a truck or SUV is just as guilty as the person who buys it - no?

with S.U.V.'s isn't the easy access to moving large objects or if used as a commercial vehicle (A SUV would not be of any use to Debbie or myself), But their use here in OK as a status symbol for those who flaunt their wealth...That old "You're nothing unless you own the latest SUV" chestnut.

The closest I would come to ever owning a SUV is either a Subaru "Forrester" or the Subaru "Baja" (The Baja is a @#$%^&* Subaru "Brat"...Why change the #$%^&* name?)

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 04-20-2004, 11:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Most SUV's get an average of 12 to the gallon, look it up.

This is the great liberal arguing that we don't need more pollution in our atmosphere. Like I said, the people who buy SUV's are America's most self-serving. They need the extra room, blah blah blah, so the environment and safety of the roads be damned. And if someone abstains from buying an SUV and decides to just borrow it from someone who already owns one for certain trips, it's better than buying a new SUV to add even more pollution. One is better than two, Jason. The fact is, the general consensus in our country is that it's all about the individual, not the whole. And, frankly, it's sickening. People don't care that their gas guzzling Exxon's are causing irreperable damage to the environment. Maybe we need a gas tax of $1 just to discourage the buying of such vehicles. I'd vote in support of it.
LOL - I want every farmer in America to sell their SUV and get a Toyota Prius. That is what you are saying. Why can't you just admit I win here. I mean I haul stuff all of the time. My Ford Explorer (arguably the most popular SUV there is) gets about 18 MPG. My mother's huge sedan gets
19 MPG. My neice's Honda Civic gets 22 MPG. My new Ford Escape or Lexus RX 300 will get 40+ MPG.

Moreover, you only borrow old SUV's and when that persons' SUV breaks and they have to buy another one, they are selfish pigs until you need to borrow it Come On

You are wrong and I wanna hear you say it - I mean it is rare I have you in a corner - let me enjoy my moment

Last edited by strandinthewind; 04-20-2004 at 11:44 AM..
Old 04-20-2004, 11:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by estranged4life
with S.U.V.'s isn't the easy access to moving large objects or if used as a commercial vehicle (A SUV would not be of any use to Debbie or myself), But their use here in OK as a status symbol for those who flaunt their wealth...That old "You're nothing unless you own the latest SUV" chestnut.

The closest I would come to ever owning a SUV is either a Subaru "Forrester" or the Subaru "Baja" (The Baja is a @#$%^&* Subaru "Brat"...Why change the #$%^&* name?)
I have used my Explorer to haul diswashers and other stuff I have needed to work on houses I bought and was redoing. Plus, I have three dogs that I gotta haul around. I cannot afford both a truck and a sedan. So, I bought an SUV - it seemed the best solution for me and it gets 18 MPG which I submit is on par with most other cars.

Also, I never buy into the whole status symbol cars are wrong. I am not here to judge how someone spends their money because I do not want anyone judging me

Old 04-20-2004, 11:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
LOL - I want every famer in America to sell their SUV and get a Toyota Prius. That is what you are saying. Why can't you just admit I win here. I mean I haul stuff all of the time. My Ford Explorer (arguably the most popular SUV there is) gets about 18 MPG. My mother's huge sedan gets
19 MPG. My neice's Honda Civic gets 22 MPG. My new Ford Escape or Lexus RX 300 will get 40+ MPG. You are wrong and I wanna hear you say it - I mean it is rare I have you in a corner - let me enjoy my moment
I'm not in a corner, I'm in the middle of the room, doll.

The only thing I can say to you is that you're family needs to be more conscious of the cars they drive. j/k

I never once said that any individuals SUV doesn't get more than 12 mpg, I said the average is 12 mpg and that's rotten. It's clear disregard for the environment. I drive a Beetle and get 36 mpg; they certainly aren't expensive cars, either.

Am I saying I want all American's to crash their SUVs and get a sedan? You bet your ass I am. I'd junk them all if I could and then I'd outlaw them.

So, now that we've discussed the gas issue, let's hear you tackle the safety issues of driving and owning one of those suicide vehicles.

Old 04-20-2004, 11:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I'm not in a corner, I'm in the middle of the room, doll.

The only thing I can say to you is that you're family needs to be more conscious of the cars they drive. j/k

I never once said that any individuals SUV doesn't get more than 12 mpg, I said the average is 12 mpg and that's rotten. It's clear disregard for the environment. I drive a Beetle and get 36 mpg; they certainly aren't expensive cars, either.

Am I saying I want all American's to crash their SUVs and get a sedan? You bet your ass I am. I'd junk them all if I could and then I'd outlaw them.

So, now that we've discussed the gas issue, let's hear you tackle the safety issues of driving and owning one of those suicide vehicles.
Again, the new SUV's will get better gas mileage than your Beetle.

Also, any car can be a death weapon when driven irresponsibly. Should we ban all cars?

Finally,who gives a rat's ass how much someone pays for their car. It is their money and their choice. Who am I to judge them

Last edited by strandinthewind; 04-20-2004 at 11:49 AM..
Old 04-20-2004, 11:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Moreover, you only borrow old SUV's and when that persons' SUV breaks and they have to buy another one, they are selfish pigs until you need to borrow it Come On
I couldn't say, I've never driven one or used one in my life. And I never will. The last time I moved, I enlisted family and friends to cart my stuff in their cars instead of renting a U-Haul.

But for soccer moms to buy them for the sole purpose of carting around little brats for pizza and the like? Ride a freaking bus.

Old 04-20-2004, 11:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
But for soccer moms to buy them for the sole purpose of carting around little brats for pizza and the like? Ride a freaking bus.
So, everytime my brother, his wife, their three kids and dog do anywhere, they should take two cars instead of one SUV. I submit the amount of gas burned is the same. Moreover, if you have kids, you know it takes that much room to haul all that stuff

Old 04-20-2004, 11:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Again, the new SUV's will get better gas mileage than your Beetle.

Also, any car can be a death weapon when driven irresponsibly. Should we ban all cars?
When I do buy a new car, it'll be a hybrid. Not an SUV.

Yes, all cars are dangerous, but SUVs moreso. Statistics and facts prove it. Go find some.

Should we ban all cars? Not if we can create cars that don't hurt the environment. I know that will never happen because how else would the Bushies get their blood money, but hey, I can dream.

Old 04-20-2004, 11:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Ride a freaking bus.
Buses do not exist in the country like they do in the city. I never took you for a big city snob

Old 04-20-2004, 11:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
So, everytime my brother, his wife, their three kids and dog do anywhere, they should take two cars instead of one SUV. I submit the amount of gas burned is the same. Moreover, if you have kids, you know it takes that much room to haul all that stuff
Take a bus.

Old 04-20-2004, 11:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
When I do buy a new car, it'll be a hybrid. Not an SUV.

Yes, all cars are dangerous, but SUVs moreso. Statistics and facts prove it. Go find some.

Should we ban all cars? Not if we can create cars that don't hurt the environment. I know that will never happen because how else would the Bushies get their blood money, but hey, I can dream.
My SUV will also be a hybrid - so where is that issue then. It is gone. Come on admit it - PPPLLLEEEEAAAASSSEEE

Also, it is not just W, it is every politician including Kerry, Kennedy, McCain, Gore, Clinton - all of them

Old 04-20-2004, 11:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Buses do not exist in the country like they do in the city. I never took you for a big city snob
You do have a point.

(On the snob part, of course.)