Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Post-Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-25-2009, 04:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default MFBB Conspiracy Theory

Here's a little "conspiracy theory" that popped into my twisted little head today. It goes something like this:

The "Unleashed" tour ends and at the final show, Lindsey announces that Fleetwood Mac is basically ending. He and Stevie are going on with their solo careers, but they will no longer record or perform as a part of FM. We as fans shed numerous tears, are very upset but eventually we learn to live with it.

Mick and John go back to Maui and Mick performs off and on with his "Island Rumours Band" with Rick. They take about a 6 month hiatus and then Mick announces that the MFBB will be launching another tour in support of a new studio album. The album is another reinterpretation of classic PG, JS and DK Mac songs, along with original material from Rick. (possible title for the cd: "Still Blue") The album of course, having been recorded during the "hiatus".

The MFBB set off on their world tour, hitting large clubs and classic blues joints througout the US and perhaps even chart a single. At various gigs, John shows up and plays as a "guest appearance". Once the tour hits the UK, Christine plays several gigs within a short travel distance of her home so she can sleep in her own bed at night.

After this tour, John realizes how much he has missed playing the classic Mac with Mick and Rick, and joins the MFBB as a permanent member. At this point, Mick realizes the ridiculousness of pretense and he, John and Rick announce that they have reformed Fleetwood Mac as a blues band, going back to its roots and will continue to record and perform as FM.

Those of us that are fans of FM from the PG days are ecstatic and line up for every tour until both Mick, John and Rick can't even walk, let alone perform. Their last album "Blue Always" goes multiplatinum and everyone ends their days happy.

Just a conspiracy theory that will probably never happen. I just thought it was a funny idea that I'd share with the rest of the group. Enjoy!!
Old 03-25-2009, 08:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I love ya, sj!

Future Discography:
Still Blue
Bluer Yet
Blue Hawaii (semi-morphed into Island Rumours Band)
Blonde & Blue (guest vocals by Christine & Stevie)
Gift of Blues (guest appearance by Lindsey)
Best of Blue
Blue Always

Now you'd better run, I hear the Rumours crowd coming for ya.....

EDIT: Mick's wasting no time putting this plan into action. The MFBB's playing 2 dates in Hawaii during the Unleashed break at the beginning of April.

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...e=rss_breaking

Quote:
Mick Fleetwood, co-founder of Fleetwood Mac, is coming to Hawai'i to perform in Waikiki and on Kauai with The Mick Fleetwood Blues Band, concert promoter Tom Moffatt announced today.

Performances will be at 8 p.m. April 2 at Level 4 in the Royal Hawaiian Center and 7:30 p.m. at the Kaua'i Marriott in the Kauai Ballroom.

The band features a tribute to the original Fleetwood Mac, the all-male blues band that started in 1967. Fleetwood's hand-picked blues quartet includes Rick Vito, former Fleetwood Mac vocalist and lead guitarist; Bass playerLenny Castellanos, and Mark Johnstone, who ties the band together with back-up vocals and keys.

The band released a live recording "Blue Again" in March. The album pays tribute to the Mac's early days, when it drew heavily on American blues music and produced hits such as "Albatross," "Oh Well" and "Black Magic Woman" (which was covered by Santana).

The album also includes fresh new blues tracks like "Looking for Somebody" and "Love that Burns."
Fresh new blues tracks like "Looking for Somebody" and "Love that Burns"? Define new....

Last edited by OldTimer; 03-25-2009 at 10:25 PM..
Old 03-27-2009, 12:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTimer View Post

[SIZE="3"]I love ya, sj!

Future Discography:
Still Blue
Bluer Yet
Best of Blue
Blue Always

EDIT: Mick's wasting no time putting this plan into action. The MFBB's playing 2 dates in Hawaii during the Unleashed break at the beginning of April.

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...e=rss_breaking

Fresh new blues tracks like "Looking for Somebody" and "Love that Burns"? Define new....
I'm running already!!!!!! I know I've probably committed a HUGE sin by even suggesting something like this, despite the fact that it's only a personal funny theory.

It's pretty hilarious that I should have this thought and then have you post a news item that seems to run in the same direction.

I totally love the proposed discography!! That had me laughing out loud!!

I guess we'll just have to see what happens after the "Unleashed" tour. I know I heard Mick say that the MFBB would be a continuing enterprise, but he's said that about The Zoo and The Mick Fleetwood Band ("Something Big"), so who knows. I hope he does and in some strange corner "In The Back Of My Mind" I perhaps secretly hope my theory comes to pass!!

(Now I'd reeeeeaaaaaalllllllyyyyyyy better run!!!!!!!
Old 03-29-2009, 07:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I guess the first version of the MFBB did have John. I found the blog of a Maui photographer with a photo shoot of the originals -- Mick, Rick, and John.

Tony Novak-Clifford Photography

Quote:
Mick has also teamed up with longtime friend and bassist of Fleetwood Mac, the legendary John McVie, and Rick Vito to form the Mick Fleetwood Blues Band. Though the lineup changes from time to time with Lenny Castellanos subbing for John on bass for some dates. MFBB played it's first date in St. Louis a month or so ago and have several more mainland gigs in the works. This band is resurrecting the ball busting blues tunes of early FM member and guitarist Peter Green, dusting of classics like "Oh Well', " Rattlesnake Shake" and other songs from the catalog of what many musicophiles consider to be the glory days of Fleetwood Mac. Rick V. is a Peter Green devotee and has that dirty guitar tone Peter was famous for down pat. I got to attend a couple of the band's rehearsals a few months ago and was blown away by both the sound and the material. There are a couple of shots above from tour poster shoots showing me working with the band
http://tonynovak-clifford.blogspot.c...usic-news.html

John must have decided he'd rather be lounging on his boat, so they kept Lenny Castellanos as the bassist, who's got a great on-stage persona, in addition to being a terrific bass player. Adding Mark Johstone and his awesome bluesy/jazzy keyboard work was a great move, too. I really like this band a lot -- you probably already guessed that....
Old 03-30-2009, 01:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up

Quote:
I guess the first version of the MFBB did have John. I found the blog of a Maui photographer with a photo shoot of the originals -- Mick, Rick, and John.

John must have decided he'd rather be lounging on his boat, so they kept Lenny Castellanos as the bassist, who's got a great on-stage persona, in addition to being a terrific bass player. Adding Mark Johstone and his awesome bluesy/jazzy keyboard work was a great move, too. I really like this band a lot -- you probably already guessed that....
WOW!!! That would have been killer!!!!

Just finished listening to the "Blue Again!" CD today on my way to work. Absolutely phenomenal in my opinion!!! It is fantastic!! It's a great live recording, with all the little nuances that go with it.

I'm totally loving this band too!!! Long Live the Mick Fleetwood Blues Band!!
Old 03-30-2009, 05:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Actually I'm a little bit over the current lineup of FM, so I'd be happy to see Mick, John, Rick and perhaps a couple of new people.

There is another thought though, what if Stevie actually stopped singing the same damn songs we've heard for thirty-five years and started singing some blues. I'm sure she'd have a great blues voice if she tried?
Old 03-30-2009, 10:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post
Actually I'm a little bit over the current lineup of FM, so I'd be happy to see Mick, John, Rick and perhaps a couple of new people.

There is another thought though, what if Stevie actually stopped singing the same damn songs we've heard for thirty-five years and started singing some blues. I'm sure she'd have a great blues voice if she tried?
If we're going to be over the current FM lineup, then why would we need Stevie to sing blues with the MFBB?

Let's just bring it full circle and have it be an all guys band again with John and Lenny trading the bass duties depending on whether or not John wants to take a sailing trip or something?

I guess I don't understand why so many of us are so attached to Stevie having to remain a part of the Mac. The band was successful before her (Peter Green, et al.) so why does she need to stay?

Don't get me wrong, I love Stevie's music (solo and with Mac) and have seen her several times in solo tours. I'm not attacking her. I'm just saying that in the confines of this "theory", why would she need to be a continuing factor? If she did a solo blues album I'd be interested to hear it. I think she might be able to pull off a respectable album of blues material. I've also expressed on other threads here that I think she would do a phenomenal job at "Oh Daddy" which is a bluesy number to begin with. I just don't see her as part of the MFBB.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Only got a minute work break, so I'll have to be uncharacteristically brief!

For once I disagree with you, sj --- when I read criskisn's post earlier I was like YESSSS! I would love to see Stevie Nicks do some bluesy numbers, and if she did a guest vocal with her very good friend Mick and her one-time songwriting buddy Rick, it has interesting potential.

Don't misunderstand -- I'm not talking about Stevie being a regular member of the MFBB. They already have a singer who enjoys dominating the stage himself. Just a quick guest number, then back to her solo work.

You know the song "You're No Good," covered by a lot of artists but most memorably by Linda Ronstadt? Imagine, just imagine for a minute, how Stevie might be able to do that song. Are you hearing it? Sounds good, doesn't it?

But for God's sake, woman, ditch the shawls and the damned platform boots! Evolve, Mama Nicks! It's 2009!

I had more thoughts on this, but I gotta go......for now.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I love ya, sj!

Future Discography:
Still Blue
Bluer Yet
Best of Blue
Blue Always

You forget to add the box set to the discography: The Box of Blues...or...The Blue Box.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjpdg View Post
If we're going to be over the current FM lineup, then why would we need Stevie to sing blues with the MFBB?

Well we weren't really talking about MFBB were we? I was more thinking along the lines of Mick, John, Rick forming the core of FM. I'd be just as happy to see Bekka back at the front.

As for being over the current lineup, it isn't anything against Stevie (or even Lindsey for that matter) it is just that we need to move on and evolve. I think perhaps Lindsey wouldn't fit in with the return to the blues for FM but I do think that Stevie could.

For once I'd like to hear something new from FM. We moved on from Lindsey and Stevie, we are only going backwards now...

I personally liked albums like Behind the Mask. It was a whole new feel, and I didn't particularly mind Time (although I thought Christine dragged that down (so sue me)).

MFBB could quite realistically become, if not the new FM, certainly the replacement for it, but I would like to see John McVie in there, if only for sentimental reasons.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Wink

Quote:
Only got a minute work break, so I'll have to be uncharacteristically brief!

For once I disagree with you, sj --- when I read criskisn's post earlier I was like YESSSS! I would love to see Stevie Nicks do some bluesy numbers, and if she did a guest vocal with her very good friend Mick and her one-time songwriting buddy Rick, it has interesting potential.

Don't misunderstand -- I'm not talking about Stevie being a regular member of the MFBB. They already have a singer who enjoys dominating the stage himself. Just a quick guest number, then back to her solo work.

You know the song "You're No Good," covered by a lot of artists but most memorably by Linda Ronstadt? Imagine, just imagine for a minute, how Stevie might be able to do that song. Are you hearing it? Sounds good, doesn't it?

But for God's sake, woman, ditch the shawls and the damned platform boots! Evolve, Mama Nicks! It's 2009!

I had more thoughts on this, but I gotta go......for now.
I honestly wouldn't disagree or have a problem with Stevie doing a guest shot on a future MFBB disc. I'm cool with that. I think she might do fairly well on blues numbers.

"You're No Good" is an interesting idea. Wouldn't mind hearing her give that a shot.

She's never gonna give up the shawls though. Keep dreaming! It's part of the signature, just like Mick wearing a vest when he plays, be it the electronic drum thing or just for fashion. It's part of his style. Shawls aren't going anywhere. You might have a shot with the boots though. She is getting older and those boots are possibly becoming a health hazard.

I'm open to Stevie, Chris, Lindsey or any of the former Mac members doing guest shots with the MFBB. I'd just like to see it stay with it's core members as of now if the whole "conspiracy theory" doesn't actually pan out.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post
Well we weren't really talking about MFBB were we? I was more thinking along the lines of Mick, John, Rick forming the core of FM. I'd be just as happy to see Bekka back at the front.

As for being over the current lineup, it isn't anything against Stevie (or even Lindsey for that matter) it is just that we need to move on and evolve. I think perhaps Lindsey wouldn't fit in with the return to the blues for FM but I do think that Stevie could.

For once I'd like to hear something new from FM. We moved on from Lindsey and Stevie, we are only going backwards now...

I personally liked albums like Behind the Mask. It was a whole new feel, and I didn't particularly mind Time (although I thought Christine dragged that down (so sue me)).

MFBB could quite realistically become, if not the new FM, certainly the replacement for it, but I would like to see John McVie in there, if only for sentimental reasons.
Honestly I think we're on the same page here, but I'd disagree with the moving backward part.

I think if this "conspiracy theory" actually pans out, there's potential for a whole new wave of Mac music, albeit in a blues genre. I think they will continue to pay tribute to older Mac tracks from the PG era, but supplement or even outnumber those with new music from Rick and potentially other contributers, Stevie included.

If Lindsey, Stevie, Billy, Bekka, Peter (??????), Jeremy, Danny (???), Christine (??????????) contributed either songs or strictly vocals to further MFBB or Mac projects, I'm totally cool with that.

I totally loved "Behind the Mask"!! It's honestly one of my favourite Mac albums. I liked the back and forth between multiple singers like Christine, Stevie, Billy and Rick. It was great. "As Long As You Follow", while not being from that album, is one of my favourite songs.

I honestly think that the Mac wasted a great opportunity when Rick and Billy left the band. They could have gone a lot further and made a lot of great music together. Bekka did okay but I just never saw her as a long term member of the Mac. I liked her contributions to "Time" though. She sounds great (and isn't hard on the eyes either!!).

Don't know if you ever heard John's one off album "John McVie's Gotta Band" but the singer from there is fantastic too. Her name is Lola Thomas and she's got a great bluesy voice.

Having gotten my copy of "Blue Again", I can honestly say that I love the line up of that band. They sound great!! It is a tribute to the original Mac, while not being just a copy. They update the music while keeping it blues at the same time. It's new arrangements of the old songs, along with Rick's material and the combination is fantastic. I really hope Mick wasn't pulling our legs when he's said that this is going to be a continuing project. I want this to keep going reeeeeeaaaaalllllyyyyy bad!!!! I love it!!

We need to let Mick know about this. Anyone with any suggestions on how??
Old 04-02-2009, 10:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
You forget to add the box set to the discography: The Box of Blues...or...The Blue Box.
Awesome!!!!! Love it!!!!
Old 04-02-2009, 10:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm also thinking the MFBB could do a full Peter Green cover album and they could call it:

"Blues In The Key Of Green"

What d'ya think?
Old 04-02-2009, 07:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Honestly I think we're on the same page here, but I'd disagree with the moving backward part.
Well we have reverted to doing the hits of thirty years ago rather than new material. I would call that going backwards...but you know, thats just me...

Quote:
Bekka did okay but I just never saw her as a long term member of the Mac.
Why not????? So much potential that was never realised...

Quote:
Don't know if you ever heard John's one off album "John McVie's Gotta Band" but the singer from there is fantastic too. Her name is Lola Thomas and she's got a great bluesy voice.
Lola was amazing on that album, and I think it is a real shame that the album was pretty much ignored by the Mac community, and that Lola didn't go on to make more of a career.