The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Post-Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-15-2009, 11:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Something Big Review (Best Magazine)

http://www.beststuff.com/musicmovies...ic-part-1.html

THE MICK FLEETWOOD BAND
SOMETHING BIG
TallMan Records/Sanctuary Records
Rock/Americana/Blues-Rock
Click for Download and Artist Profile

SOMETHING BIG is just that "SOMETHING BIG!" Take the legendary drummer and co-founder of Fleetwood Mac, add Jeremy Spencer and John McVie and you have three fourths of the original Mac (that's the "Blues" Mac, before the addition of Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham) reunited on one album. To this amazingly hot trio, add Jackson Browne on a track and another track co written by Carlos Santana. Then throw in a dash of singer Lauren Evans (who MusicTap reviewer Matt Rowe compared to Whitney Houston) and you have a mighty powerful rock and roll gang. The group needed both songs and a singer worthy of ongoing listening and Fleetwood chose longtime friend and veteran producer/signer/songwriter Todd Smallwood to deliver the hooks and tie up the package . . . and he did!

This album was five years in the making. The layering of instrumentation and the deep care for tonal quality, performance, separation and that magical "wall of sound" are testimony to what's still right with music making today. The songs are deeply rooted in a journey through true, honest, early rock and blues-rock. Nothing is gimmicked or faked on this album -- it's the real thing and every song gets better and better as you listen over and over. Possibly most fascinating is that on first listen, this album feels like an old, comfortable friend. The final mixing and mastering of this album was done the old fashioned way -- with both time and expense -- resulting in a sound quality of delicious nuances. "I love percussion," says Fleetwood, "but I'm most deeply fulfilled when I'm working on the music coming together, in editing, in creating the sound. Producing offers those levels of creativity."

The Mick Fleetwood Band manages to come off as both timeless and contemporary, rocking and eloquent, thanks in large measure to Fleetwood's ability to bring out the best in everyone he plays with and his love for the production process. SOMETHING BIG is also a tribute to Emmy nominated Smallwood's skill, musicianship and connection with Fleetwood's vibe. For sheer rock mastery and impeccable songwriting, production and execution this album earns the distinction: BestMUSIC.
Old 05-16-2009, 03:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

This was a great album. I really, really liked it a great deal. Too bad it didn't go anywhere. I think Mick may be better off with his current side project: the Mick Fleetwood Blues Band.

It's closer to his roots and sounds awesome too. Perhaps a combo of the two bands at some point??
Old 05-16-2009, 03:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjpdg View Post
This was a great album. I really, really liked it a great deal. Too bad it didn't go anywhere. I think Mick may be better off with his current side project: the Mick Fleetwood Blues Band. It's closer to his roots and sounds awesome too.
Excellent point. I agree.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 05-16-2009, 07:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Excellent point. I agree.
What?! No psychological analysis of my comments? No word by word criticism? No question of my opinion?

No mention of some nonsensical "syndrome" which has no bearing whatsoever to the discussion topic??

I'm shocked to be honest.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
http://www.beststuff.com/musicmovies...ic-part-1.html

THE MICK FLEETWOOD BAND
SOMETHING BIG
TallMan Records/Sanctuary Records
Rock/Americana/Blues-Rock
Click for Download and Artist Profile

SOMETHING BIG is just that "SOMETHING BIG!" Take the legendary drummer and co-founder of Fleetwood Mac, add Jeremy Spencer and John McVie and you have three fourths of the original Mac (that's the "Blues" Mac, before the addition of Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham) reunited on one album. To this amazingly hot trio, add Jackson Browne on a track and another track co written by Carlos Santana. Then throw in a dash of singer Lauren Evans (who MusicTap reviewer Matt Rowe compared to Whitney Houston) and you have a mighty powerful rock and roll gang. The group needed both songs and a singer worthy of ongoing listening and Fleetwood chose longtime friend and veteran producer/signer/songwriter Todd Smallwood to deliver the hooks and tie up the package . . . and he did!
Am I wrong in remembering that Jeremy was onlyp present on one or two tracks on this disc? This review makes it sound like he played on the whole thing and I'm pretty sure it was just a couple of songs.