Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-15-2010, 11:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Fleetwood Mac Live Review

[Continuing with the David Bowling, Blogcritics.org reviews of FM albums
November 15, 2010]

http://blogcritics.org/music/article...wood-mac-live/

Fleetwood Mac caught a lot of criticism for their 1979 album Tusk, mostly because they had not produced another Rumours. They took the easy way out by releasing their first live album on December 8, 1980. They also went conservative as ten of the eighteen tracks had originally appeared on their Fleetwood Mac and Rumours albums and only three from Tusk

Live was a two disc LP recorded at various locations between 1977-1980. As such the album does not have a complete concert feel but rather is a number of individual live tracks. The sound is not as slick which gives the group a less polished feel than their recent studio releases which was nice. They also rock a little more live than in the studio which was another positive component of the album.

There were three new performances that were recorded live but not during a formal concert. Two original compositions and one cover song were recorded at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium before their crew and some friends. “Fireflies” by Stevie Nicks was a mid-tempo rocker that became a minor single hit. “One More Night” was a poignant Christine McVie ballad. The gem was a cover of the obscure Beach Boys song, “The Farmer’s Daughter.” It placed the emphasis squarely upon their harmonies which were some of the best of their career.

There were two surprise song choices. “Oh Well” was originally released by the pre-pop 1969 Fleetwood Mac and here Lindsey Buckingham gives one of his better guitar performances. He may not have been Peter Green but he was very good. They also reach back for “Don’t Let Me Down Again” which originally appeared on the Buckingham-Nicks album.

I find it interesting the three Tusk tracks are presented back to back. “Over & Over,” a seven minute “Sara,” and a nine minute “Not That Funny” are over twenty minutes of the band at its live best.

Most of there hits were included for commercial appeal. “Monday Morning,” “Say You Love Me,” and “Dreams” begin the album. “Over My Head,” “Rhiannon,” “Go Your Own Way,’ and “Don’t Stop” complete the list of many of their major hits up until that time.

Live was a successful release, both musically and commercially, at the time it was issued. It remains a good look at Fleetwood Mac in the midst of their most successful period.

Read more: http://blogcritics.org/music/article...#ixzz15PvpBb8w
Old 11-16-2010, 09:49 AM

Pretty fair accessment..
Old 11-16-2010, 11:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

To me, "Live" is the album that might have been a really weird phenomenon on the market IF the band had stuck to its original plan of releasing the tour-ending shows at the Bowl. It would have been weird because the public would have really hated it back then, but over the years the album would have grown in stature. The sound of Fleetwood Mac playing live at the time, without a visual aspect, confused & let down most of the pop audience, who wanted to hear the band play more slickly. People used to leave Fleetwood Mac Tusk tour concerts early because the playing was so aggressive & crude (to their ears). These people went to the concert expecting America, but what they got verged on Public Image Ltd.

But the years would have been very kind to a Hollywood Bowl album, & its interest among future generations would have increased.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 11-16-2010, 02:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
To me, "Live" is the album that might have been a really weird phenomenon on the market IF the band had stuck to its original plan of releasing the tour-ending shows at the Bowl. It would have been weird because the public would have really hated it back then, but over the years the album would have grown in stature. The sound of Fleetwood Mac playing live at the time, without a visual aspect, confused & let down most of the pop audience, who wanted to hear the band play more slickly. People used to leave Fleetwood Mac Tusk tour concerts early because the playing was so aggressive & crude (to their ears). These people went to the concert expecting America, but what they got verged on Public Image Ltd.

But the years would have been very kind to a Hollywood Bowl album, & its interest among future generations would have increased.
...Which makes me hungry for a topnotch "Bowl"-recording right now. Who's willing to serve me?

Old 11-16-2010, 02:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post

I had no idea that was their original plan? That would have been epic.

I have a couple of issues with the live cd:

1. The 77' Paris tracks...we already heard em. Should have canned them for a Tusk performance.

2. Not That Funny...If they kept this, then they should have ditched it on the Mirage video or vice versa. I never thought the live performance of this was anything special.

3. Fireflies/One More Night - Should have canned them

I will say though, Rhiannon, GYOW, and So Afraid on this are probably some of my favorite live takes of the band. Rhiannon in particular.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Live was a successful release, both musically and commercially, at the time it was issued. It remains a good look at Fleetwood Mac in the midst of their most successful period.
Mick Fleetwood does not agree about the commercial sucess, in his book:
Back at home, we took two weeks off before going back to the studio for three weeks to record, overdub, and remix tracks for a live album. It was controversial within the band, this record, because I was the only one who wanted to do it. It was not a popular decision. Both John McVie and Lindsey Buckingham thought it was a negative move, but I always bought Greatest Hits albums myself, and I strongly felt there had to be a live document of the band at this point. Besides, we had great material to work with.... ....
Later in the year, we released Fleetwood Mac Live as a double album, and it wasn't a big success. There were many accusations of "We told you so," but I have no regrets.

LIVE was the first album I bought (in 1982), and with the Gypsy single, it was the reason I became a Fleetwood Mac fan, but being objective, I'd like a one night recording (like The Dance) and not a pieces collection. Besides, I miss The Chain in that album.

I agree about having a live document from that era, the best of the Mac. But it could have been a better document.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:58 PM
Senior Ledgie

Can't believe my luck, just bought a copy of this on vinyl today in my local 2nd hand record store
Old 11-18-2010, 04:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.W-Suite View Post
Can't believe my luck, just bought a copy of this on vinyl today in my local 2nd hand record store
The pictures in the sleeve are great! Though Lindsey looks very thin
Old 11-29-2010, 10:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I was a young kid when I became a fascinated fan of the band around the time of Rumours. I was extremely interested in how they sounded/reproduced the their songs in concert. Even in my limited knowledge, I could imagine that they would sound different from their over-dubbed and heavily crafted albums. Until then, their live sound was an intriguing mystery to me.

I stayed up very late on a school night (11pm!) because I knew a local radio station was going to premier the entire LIVE album --the anticipation was very exciting. Needless to say, I was so happy to finally hear an entirely different version of the band.

I liked the fact that they had a heavier sound, and that people who'd dismiss them as lightweight might change their perspective. The single "Oh Well" was heavily played on the radio, and I was gratified to see my friends loving the song, and their surprise that it was Fleetwood Mac.

I found it peculiar that some songs weren't on the album - The Chain, Gold Dust Woman, Sisters of the Moon, Tusk, You Make Loving Fun, etc... It's not a traditional live concert album in any sense, but I loved it anyway, and still do.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 11-29-2010 at 10:57 PM..
Old 11-30-2010, 12:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I absolutely love all of Stevie's tracks, including Fireflies, Don't Let Me Down Again, I'm So Afraid and Farmer's Daughter. I bought a vinyl copy during the Rock a Little era and then repurchased on CD version around 90-91, which was probably the last time I listened to the other tracks. And the cover art is just a wasted opportunity...