Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-25-2010, 03:43 AM
Senior Ledgie

1. Illume
One of her better songs on the album. I like the acoustic guitar sound and the timing of the drums when they first begin and the percussion mixed in. Good production on the vocals. It all makes up for a kinda weak melody.
2. Thrown Down
Hands down her best effort on the album. Great riff, I am sure Lindsey had something to do with it. Good production and mixing.
3. Say You Will
Not too bad, kinda catchy. Not all that fond of her vocals in this song for some reason.
4. Smile at You
Good vocals on this one. I like the way the chorus is done with Lindsey singing even if it's not in the forefront. But overall the song really doesn't stand out. Honestly the best part is the acoustic guitar solo as the song fades out.
5. Running Through the Garden
I do not like the immediate opening and first :25 of the song, but then it kicks in and seems to become another song. In the end it's a pretty decent song.
6. Silver Girl
Never liked the song, I don't know what to make of it. Not my cup of tea musically or lyrically.
7. Everybody Finds Out
Another song I could do without. I'm not fond of the opening :17 seconds, but it really doesn't improve much from there. The chorus is very weak.
8. Destiny Rules
Aside from her opening vocals this is a pretty solid song. Lindsey really improved this one from it's initial state which was heard for a quick few seconds on the DVD of the same name. I like the guitar work throughout as well as the outro semi-solo, also heard on the DVD. Good melody.
9. Goodbye Baby
I agree with an earlier post about this song being Say You Will's, "When I See You Again"... except not as good. Is it bad? Of course not, but it is forgetful.
Old 11-25-2010, 04:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie is really strong on this album. I love Running Through The Garden and Everybody Finds oOut (those strings!) but yes, Silver Girl just plain sucks. The best track for me is definitely Thrownm Down though. I just love it.

Back when the Let's Talk About... thread was going in the Stevie room I started one for Thrown Down and here were my thoughts...

I personally think this is the best song Stevie has written for the Mac in years! It's her best since Seven Wonders and for me is the undoubted highlight of Say You Will (an album that I seem to have a higher opinion of than many others). I'd love to hear it live but don't rate my chances much, which is a real shame.

So, what are everyone's thoughts on this track? How does it compare with her earlier stuff? What do you think it's about? How do you rate her vocal etc...? Anything really..

I absolutely LOVE the vocal we see her laying down in the recording studio in Destiny Rules. Those lst few lines are delivered brilliantly, as Lindsey says. It's also the subject of that infamous "you wouldn't tell Bob Dylan how to write" discussion, which I love Stevie for! How dare Lindsey try to change her lyrics? haha!

I know Stevie has said that this song is about Lindsey and was written around the time of The Dance tour about the "barricades of time" between them. I've read in other threads about how people think there may have been something between them briefly back then and the lyrics to this song definitely bear that out. Even if it was just a random hook up with an ex - Hell, who hasn't done that?!

I find it really interesting that Stevie takes such a strange perspective on their relatinship in this song though, if that is what it's about. "He fell for her again, she watched it happen" and "she watched it all come into play". The woman just seems very passive, which I think is unusual for Stevie's songs. Instead of her feelings it's her observations of whoever the guy is and then it goes on to just describe how he pleaded with her that he'd changed etc: "maybe now he could prove to her that they should be together" Does anyone think we get anything about how the woman may feel or is it just her saying what he did at the time?

Phew - that went on for a bit there!

Also, random fact - has everyone noticed that this song is used in Season 9 of Friends? The One With The Soap Opera Party. It plays in the background. I noticed this years ago when I first saw the episode and was really chuffed!
Old 11-25-2010, 01:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodfather View Post
Does anyone think we get anything about how the woman may feel or is it just her saying what he did at the time?
I think the "shaken my faith" line shows how the woman feels. Faith is a hard thing to hold on to. Should she dedicate her pain to him? I think she feels let down (if not thrown down) and is fighting back the urge to let that hurt and blame override the other feelings. Also, if the woman is Stevie, I think Fall From Grace further explores her feelings.

Michele
Old 11-25-2010, 07:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodfather View Post
Stevie is really strong on this album. I love Running Through The Garden and Everybody Finds oOut (those strings!) but yes, Silver Girl just plain sucks. The best track for me is definitely Thrownm Down though. I just love it.

Back when the Let's Talk About... thread was going in the Stevie room I started one for Thrown Down and here were my thoughts...

I personally think this is the best song Stevie has written for the Mac in years! It's her best since Seven Wonders and for me is the undoubted highlight of Say You Will (an album that I seem to have a higher opinion of than many others). I'd love to hear it live but don't rate my chances much, which is a real shame.

So, what are everyone's thoughts on this track? How does it compare with her earlier stuff? What do you think it's about? How do you rate her vocal etc...? Anything really..
I think 'Thrown Down' is one of the best songs on the album. I will never understand why it wasn't a single. I think it's better than 'Seven Wonders'!
Old 11-26-2010, 04:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Also, if the woman is Stevie, I think Fall From Grace further explores her feelings.

Michele
Quote:
Originally Posted by holidayroad View Post
I think 'Thrown Down' is one of the best songs on the album. I will never understand why it wasn't a single. I think it's better than 'Seven Wonders'!
Oh, Fall From Grace definitely does. It's a GREAT track and possibly my favourite from Trouble In Shangri-La.

Yeah, Thrown Down should really have been the lead single from the album instead of Peacekeeper. Then they would have performed it live!
Old 11-26-2010, 08:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

1. Thrown Down - The best song on the record. Great song. Very classic Fleetwood Mac. Loved it immediately and loved it when even Friends used it in an episode.

2. Everybody Finds Out - The production gets to me at times. But it rocks. And when Stevie sings - We see no change in sight, watching her decline, all the way through - waiting for the day....when everybody finds out - well she just nails that part. Just love it.

3. Destiny Rules - voice is a little flat at opening. But I have come to love this song. It is very classic FM.

4. Running Through the Garden - Just think it has great hard rocking music.

5. Say You Will - Fun song and almost sounds a little like Christine wrote it.

6. Illume - I just love when she sings - just remember when I am haunted, that I was just so scared. Just gets me everytime.

7. Goodbye Baby

8. Smile at You - I almost cried when I heard how they butchered this song.

9. Silver Girl. No Appeal.

If there were numbers by these - like rank the song 1 to 10 - numbers 4 through 6 would be almost identical and not that far from 3. However, there would be a huge gap between 7 and 8/9