The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: Which album should the sound of the new Mac album most resemble?
Rumours 7 28.00%
Tusk 3 12.00%
Mirage 4 16.00%
Tango In The Night 0 0%
Say You Will 0 0%
Trouble In Shangri-La 1 4.00%
Under the Skin 0 0%
Gift of Screws 0 0%
...or something different and new 10 40.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-24-2009, 07:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default New Mac album? What should it sound like?

With all this talk about a new album and all this discussion about the SOUND of Say You Will and all this conjecture about whether or not a new producer will be brought onto the project, I thought it would be interesting to conduct a poll that reveals what, exactly, Mac fans desire from a new Fleetwood Mac album.

Which album would you most like the SOUND of the new Fleetwood Mac album to resemble?

Here are the options:

Rumours
Tusk
Mirage
Tango In The Night
Say You Will
Trouble In Shangri-La
Under the Skin
Gift of Screws

...or something different and new

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.

Last edited by TrueFaith77; 10-24-2009 at 08:18 AM..
Old 10-24-2009, 11:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I voted for Tusk simply because I love the three songwriters' contributions. I'm not sure it all meshes well together in that huge double record, but I like each song when you take it out of album.

I don't think we'll ever get the same "feel" of an album as Rumours because a lot of the appeal of that album was the personal turmoil of the band at the time.

The two '80s albums didn't seem all that cohesive, in my opinion.

So TUSK!!!
Old 10-24-2009, 11:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I voted Rumours simply because it defines FM. They are basically the same word. If their next album could have that type of magic, well, FM would be OWNING the charts again!!
Old 10-24-2009, 11:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I vote for Trouble In Shangri-la, because itīs just Stevie in 21st century, nad I love this Stevie . Say You Will was a little bit boring... many songs, but very similar. And if they try to make it like some album in the 70s... I donīt think that would be good... but It would be very good if they try to do something new too.

I want Stevie to tour in Europe!
Old 10-24-2009, 12:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I voted Rumours. Someone once made a thread asking if Rumours Two would be so bad? I wish I could read that again.
Old 10-24-2009, 03:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Either Rumours or TISL.
Old 10-24-2009, 03:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

For the band to sell a decent amount of records, they should probably try something a bit newer.

But then again, the Eagles' new album sounded like traditional Eagles, so who really knows.
Old 10-24-2009, 03:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman408 View Post
For the band to sell a decent amount of records, they should probably try something a bit newer.

But then again, the Eagles' new album sounded like traditional Eagles, so who really knows.
Wait... it did? Haha I'm a hugeee Eagles fan, but I can't get into their newest album. There's a few songs that I really like, but other than that it sounds kinda odd to me. Which makes me sad.

The only song that sounds like the traditional Eagles to me is "How Long" but maybe that's because it was already written and they even performed it back in 1973ish in Holland.

I don't really think LROOE sounds anywhere like their first album or Hotel California...

Last edited by FMlex; 10-24-2009 at 03:53 PM..
Old 10-24-2009, 07:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMlex View Post
I voted for Tusk simply because I love the three songwriters' contributions. I'm not sure it all meshes well together in that huge double record, but I like each song when you take it out of album.

I don't think we'll ever get the same "feel" of an album as Rumours because a lot of the appeal of that album was the personal turmoil of the band at the time.

The two '80s albums didn't seem all that cohesive, in my opinion.

So TUSK!!!
Tusk is basically what SYW was... the key difference is that Christine's material was absent to balance out Lindsey's zany experimentations, and Stevie's foggy wanderings. Christine's sparkling pop tunes are what roped all the bipolarity in, and made Tusk an album... not just a mishmash. SYW didn't have Chris, so it simply didn't work.

Since Lindsey didn't play on Stevie's solo albums or vice versa, we really can't even use these in this pole. There is no basis for BOTH artists style for comparison. Would songs from TISL and UTS work if put into a blender together? I don't know if any of us could answer that objectively.

I think perhaps the most cohesive record FM ever did was Tango. There was a common thread and sound among all three artists songs. So naturally, if Christine were out of the mix, it would in theory work (though her songs were probably the strongest offerings on this one). The big problem with Tango is the production style is so very dateable to the 1980s, obviously it wouldn't work this day and age.

So just what do the kids need to do? Start by hiring an outside producer. Don't enter the picture with fully fleshed out songs. I think vowing to write songs and work closely together is too much to ask this day and age. But they can try to go in with a clean slate, without motives. Godspeed... lol.
Old 10-25-2009, 02:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Ok I voted for something 'new' .....I do love the Tusk period but unfortunately.....well Christine isn't here.....& no matter what sound of theres in the 'past' that they could try & recreate.....really its not gonna happen. There voices have changed esp Stevie's. Her voice doesn't sound anything like it did in those days (though I wish it did).....so I would hope for something different (but not like SYW-please)......of course 'if' it even happens at all.....I wouldn't bet any $$ on it happening .....heck whatever happend to the re-issue of Rumours again with the DVD project.....we all recall hearing about that right....so thats why I highly doubt anything occuring.....I'd be shocked........yes there is much they could 'do' same with Stevie.......but it seems they have no motivation...esp Stevie.....sad but true....IMO anyway......other than getting a 'new' producer or something I'd think the sound would continue along the lines of SYW.......but who knows really???? They don't like to take too many risks.....same with Stevie......same old same old is there motto......
..."There is a legend passed down through the ages...down through the crystal visions...down through the crystal clear-water fountain...the charmed ones remain...They are mine (you remain...ooh)...."
Old 10-26-2009, 12:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by starshine View Post
Ok I voted for something 'new' .....I do love the Tusk period but unfortunately.....well Christine isn't here.....& no matter what sound of theres in the 'past' that they could try & recreate.....really its not gonna happen. There voices have changed esp Stevie's. Her voice doesn't sound anything like it did in those days (though I wish it did).....so I would hope for something different (but not like SYW-please)......of course 'if' it even happens at all.....I wouldn't bet any $$ on it happening .....heck whatever happend to the re-issue of Rumours again with the DVD project.....we all recall hearing about that right....so thats why I highly doubt anything occuring.....I'd be shocked........yes there is much they could 'do' same with Stevie.......but it seems they have no motivation...esp Stevie.....sad but true....IMO anyway......other than getting a 'new' producer or something I'd think the sound would continue along the lines of SYW.......but who knows really???? They don't like to take too many risks.....same with Stevie......same old same old is there motto......
I think while this is certainly true with their live performances, it's not true with their albums. Since Stevie and Lindsey joined, none of their albums sound the same. Fleetwood Mac and Rumours are probably the most similar in sound, and even then there's a definite difference. I think, with Lindsey at the helm -- because, let's face it, even with an outside producer he would still want a lot of creative control -- that's what keeps the band from sounding same-y. He's the risk-taker. Lindsey is obviously influenced a lot by current music, and it shows through his work.