User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-22-2009, 01:58 AM
Ledgie

Default Tusk Remaster: Horrid?

Hey guys,

I'm wanting to get the 2-disc remastered Tusk CD, but I just read this review that calls it a "horrid" remaster.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R5FZOLR7NEY0X

I know you guys can give me an honest and expert opinion on this...so what do you think? Is it really that bad? Is it worth getting?

Also, I found this at a store recently for US$25, but the plastic wrap was a little questionable, and had no stickers on it. The store is not known for selling used copies, but I was hesitant. Should it have promo stickers on it like the Rumours and Fleetwood Mac remasters had?

As you can probably tell, I'm rather nitpicky on this type of thing.

Any help is appreciated!
Old 10-22-2009, 02:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

UM in a word, no. I'm far from a musical expert in the technical sense but this person has absolutely no clue whatsoever they call it "horrid." In my opinion its fantastic. Buy it, simple as that.
Old 10-22-2009, 02:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Disregard that review, I think the remaster of Tusk is fantastic! But you do have to be a very persnickety person to appreciate it, I suppose. If you're the type of person who is very, very into Fleetwood Mac and enjoys hearing subtle new sounds and variation from songs you've long been familiar with, you'll really enjoy this package. If you're more of a casual fan, you'll be annoyed with it. I can tell you this much... every song is infinitely crisper, cleaner, brighter. The extra goodies like the rough demos are fantastic, it's like being a fly on the wall of the recording studio... really gives you a glimpse into the recording process. Kinda cool to hear songs you've known for so long, in their earliest forms.
Old 10-22-2009, 02:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
If you're more of a casual fan, you'll be annoyed with it.
Why would a casual fan be annoyed? I don't have the remaster and I want to get it ASAP.... obviously I'm the opposite of a "casual fan," but I'm still curious.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:31 AM
Senior Ledgie

From the review

"So imagine how disappointed I was when I popped this disc into my car stereo and heard the flattest, dullest sounding recording I've ever heard associated with the name "Fleetwood Mac"."

you have to laugh, he rambles on like an audiophile or somthing after listening to it ... IN THE CAR. Good one.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

That's CRAZY. Of all the three remastered albums, (FM, Rumours & Tusk) Tusk in my opinion is the best. Go and buy the album. I assure you you won't regret it.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderHappens View Post
Hey guys,

I'm wanting to get the 2-disc remastered Tusk CD, but I just read this review that calls it a "horrid" remaster.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R5FZOLR7NEY0X

I know you guys can give me an honest and expert opinion on this...so what do you think? Is it really that bad? Is it worth getting?

Also, I found this at a store recently for US$25, but the plastic wrap was a little questionable, and had no stickers on it. The store is not known for selling used copies, but I was hesitant. Should it have promo stickers on it like the Rumours and Fleetwood Mac remasters had?

As you can probably tell, I'm rather nitpicky on this type of thing.

Any help is appreciated!
I expected to get pissed reading this review, but I have to say, the more I read, the more I agreed. And I have never listened to TUSK in the car! I'm going by what the album sounds like on my home stereo to what the remastered cd sounds like on my home stereo. On the cd, that mid-bass really does seem to mask the high-ends.

So is it my stereo or does anyone else notice this?
Old 10-22-2009, 12:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellaaarisen View Post
Why would a casual fan be annoyed? I don't have the remaster and I want to get it ASAP.... obviously I'm the opposite of a "casual fan," but I'm still curious.
I remember when this came out, we had someone here who was really annoyed by it. Because the remixed master recordings are for the most part, very subtle. Yes, they are much cleaner and crisper, but there's also additional instrumentation, backing vocals, etc... but you have to know the songs inside and out to really notice. I know that very much annoyed one particular member, because subtlety wasn't an art she appreciated . I however, LOVED listening for that extra cymbal, or an extra "ooh" from Stevie .
Old 10-22-2009, 01:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

That idiot must be deaf. The deluxe edition of Tusk is fantastic, IMHO. Tusk was digitally recorded initially, so the sound quality was superior for it's time. Like a good wine, it's only gotten better with age.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yeah, it's excellent. I think a common complaint is that one or two tracks, such as Sara, are better on the original vinyl release?

But it's superb, and the second disc with all the alternates are just amazing.

- Spike
Old 10-22-2009, 07:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I have it, and I think it's great! Nothing wrong with at all, so go for it!

Would it last forever? You and I together, hand in hand
we run away♥