User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-10-2023, 07:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back
Thumbs up Rockline December 1988

I remember listening and recording this live when it was on the radio. It was such a brief good feeling for the band. The band just got off a successful tour without Lindsey and then surprised everyone with 2 new songs and a greatest hits album right before Christmas. The video for As Long As You Follow was already heavily played on VH1. Not sure why MTV sort of decided to not play and promote it like they did for the Tango videos.
I listened to this again last night and I remember the warm, fuzzy feeling I had at the time. I thought As Long As You Follow was going to be a huge hit and the Fleetwood Mac would have strong legs into their next album. This warm feeling did not last long because I never heard ALAYF on the radio and the song did not even chart. It was a premonition what was coming.
In any event this is a good interview of the band at this moment in time. Mick had just gotten married. Stevie was new to klonopin. Rick and Billy were fresh and ready for action.
In this interview we hear why the Orange Blossom was chosen as the album cover. Stevie says she was born on Orange Grove. But did she not always say her and Lindsey lived on Orange Grove? John explains why he picked the penguin as the band's mascot. They talk about their new producer. Stevie gets asked about Welcome To The Room Sara and she is vague and wont spill the beans what the song is about. We also hear why Stevie gives writing credits to a woman on No Questions Asked. That was very nice of Stevie to do for her fixing her recording equipment.
If you never heard this before, its a good listen. Stevie kackles like a witch throughout.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXUJ...o9eUVw&index=1
Old 11-10-2023, 07:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
This warm feeling did not last long because I never heard ALAYF on the radio and the song did not even chart. It was a premonition what was coming.
Thanks for the summary! This has always been a fascinating era of FM to me, and I wish Christine and the others had spoken more about it. They seemed to love this period at the time, but afterwards complained about it or just ignored it all together, which is unfortunate.

Regarding As Long As you Follow, where I lived at the time, it was played on the radio constantly, and I’m pretty sure it hit #1 on Billboard’s Adult Comtemporary Chart, and it did go to #43 or something like that on Billboard’s Top 100. But yeah, like you I was stunned it didn’t perform better. It was also a nice song for the wintertime. But since it’s on their Greatest Hits album, it’s become a popular song so that’s cool!

Last edited by bwboy; 11-10-2023 at 08:15 AM..
Old 11-10-2023, 08:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
Thanks for the summary! This has always been a fascinating era of FM to me, and I wish Christine and the others had spoken more about it. They seemed to love this period at the time, but afterwards complained about it or just ignored it all together, which is unfortunate.

Regarding As Long As you Follow, where I lived at the time, it was played on the radio constantly, and I’m pretty sure it hit #1 on Billboard’s Adult Comtemporary Chart, and it did go to #58 or something like that on Billboard’s Top 100. But yeah, like you I was stunned it didn’t perform better. It was also a nice song for the wintertime. But since it’s on their Greatest Hits album, it’s become a popular song so that’s cool!
Chris says here they are happy. She goes on to say something like Lindsey was miserable and if he would have stayed, we all would have been miserable. So with him leaving it was a happy exit for both parties.
We just had no idea at this time all that Lindsey went through in 1986 with some members of the band.
They yield to Billy about the Orange Blossom as if it was his idea. He says because they all are from California it made sense. Then Stevie brings up about Chris's mom telling her she would find something in an orange grove.
Old 11-10-2023, 09:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I remember listening and recording this live when it was on the radio. It was such a brief good feeling for the band. The band just got off a successful tour without Lindsey and then surprised everyone with 2 new songs and a greatest hits album right before Christmas. The video for As Long As You Follow was already heavily played on VH1. Not sure why MTV sort of decided to not play and promote it like they did for the Tango videos.
I listened to this again last night and I remember the warm, fuzzy feeling I had at the time. I thought As Long As You Follow was going to be a huge hit and the Fleetwood Mac would have strong legs into their next album. This warm feeling did not last long because I never heard ALAYF on the radio and the song did not even chart. It was a premonition what was coming.
In any event this is a good interview of the band at this moment in time. Mick had just gotten married. Stevie was new to klonopin. Rick and Billy were fresh and ready for action.
In this interview we hear why the Orange Blossom was chosen as the album cover. Stevie says she was born on Orange Grove. But did she not always say her and Lindsey lived on Orange Grove? John explains why he picked the penguin as the band's mascot. They talk about their new producer. Stevie gets asked about Welcome To The Room Sara and she is vague and wont spill the beans what the song is about. We also hear why Stevie gives writing credits to a woman on No Questions Asked. That was very nice of Stevie to do for her fixing her recording equipment.
If you never heard this before, its a good listen. Stevie kackles like a witch throughout.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXUJ...o9eUVw&index=1
I remember recording this one, too. On my Maxell tape lol... it was a process to sit there and cut out all the commercials! Anyway at around 35 minutes, John and Chris are very funny talking about copulating penguins and his tattoo. and stevie's cackle is a good accompaniment.

--Lis
Old 11-10-2023, 10:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

ALAYF was played in peruvian radios, too. And the video was played in local video clips tv programs.

I can't remember if I heard No Question Asked on radios. I dare to say I never heard it, but not sure. Same with Paper Doll, thought I did see the video on local tv, but not heard on radios.