User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-23-2017, 01:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
and.................. drumroll! i agree with bwboy again! what happened??

frankly, if someone thinks that IMW is a great song, then their musical tastes are very different than mine and i can't take their opinion as something that will give me any hints about other songs. and the song we already know, SATC is a much much better song than IMW, so...
Exactly, some people like "In My World". A lot, apparently. That doesn't make them wrong. I always want to know how any reviewer feels about other things I like or dislike. For it to matter at all you have to have similar tastes. If someone hates Fleetwood Mac and then goes and reviews the new album and hates it....as a Fleetwood Mac fan, who cares what they think? No need to lower expectations because this guy likes "In My World". That's just not rational.

Last edited by MikeVielhaber; 04-23-2017 at 01:03 PM..
Old 04-23-2017, 01:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I like IMW and I'm looking forward to hearing all the songs. To get a 4/5 review is great and the reviewer clearly likes the album - "this will do nicely for now". It's also very much personal opinion as to which song anyone thinks is the best of an album. It's very probable that fans will prefer other songs on there.

He just seemed very definite with "IMW is the best song" and that rang warning bells, given how much it's been slated by numerous ledgies.

As I said earlier, I just hope we feel differently than he does about which is the best song.
Old 04-23-2017, 01:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonSister75 View Post
IAs I said earlier, I just hope we feel differently than he does about which is the best song.
you know, i was just reading that thread about Seeds We Sow songs when we first heard them live, before the album came out. (it's 6 years today since that concert where he played 6 new songs for us, 4 months before the album was released.) so many fans loved Stars, it was their favorite song. i disliked it and it's still the only song i skip on that album. then the other group liked Stars but really loved That The Way Love Goes. i was in loving TTWLG group. and then yet third group loved In Our Own Time the best of the 6 we've heard live. and that was all months before we heard that heavenly snippet of Rock Away Blind on his website. so what i'm trying to say - you never know, tastes are different!

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 04-23-2017, 02:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Another thing to consider is that Mojo is largely an indie rock magazine, and I can hear how IMW would appeal to certain indie sensibilities.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 04-23-2017, 02:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It might be my new meds... I'm trying to be a jerk but when I type a rude or sarcastic comment, it comes out polite and restrained lol!
Old 04-23-2017, 03:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
you know, i was just reading that thread about Seeds We Sow songs when we first heard them live, before the album came out. (it's 6 years today since that concert where he played 6 new songs for us, 4 months before the album was released.) so many fans loved Stars, it was their favorite song. i disliked it and it's still the only song i skip on that album. then the other group liked Stars but really loved That The Way Love Goes. i was in loving TTWLG group. and then yet third group loved In Our Own Time the best of the 6 we've heard live. and that was all months before we heard that heavenly snippet of Rock Away Blind on his website. so what i'm trying to say - you never know, tastes are different!
Yes it's all very subjective as to which songs we prefer, and sometimes songs take time to grow on us. Given that it got a 4/5 in Mojo which is a magazine that I like and respect, I'm certain there will songs on there I'll like at much as IMW, and hopefully that I'll like more
Old 04-23-2017, 04:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

frankly, if someone thinks that IMW is a great song, then their musical tastes are very different than mine and i can't take their opinion as something that will give me any hints about other songs. and the song we already know, SATC is a much much better song than IMW, so...
You make a good point. This guy might think most of Lindsey's Tusk songs are garbage, so we don't know enough about him to trust his review.

When I was a lass, I knew Siskel and Ebert as a duo so well, that depending on what each one said, I could tell whether I would like a movie or not. Now, when Siskel died, when I just got Ebert's review, I couldn't really judge by own reaction to the movie in advance based on his thoughts alone. So, you have to know how you relate to the reviewer(s). Michele
Old 04-23-2017, 04:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Lets not jump to any conclusions until we each have the album in hand and listen to it several times. Its possible the lead single is the most "commercial" and that is a good sign. Who wants commercial pop songs? Well maybe some of us (here)
When I bought In the Meantime and Say You Will, I thought they were ok. It was not until listening several times and a month later that I realized how good the albums are.
Some are judging a book by its cover or in this case... by one song.
The only thing that worries me is the reviews. Usually whatever the professional reviewers say, I seem to think the opposite. Rolling Stone trashed Landslide and The Wild Heart but loved Tango and Behind The Mask. The only review from Rolling Stone I agreed with was "Nicks slips out of touch" for Rock A Little. Nothing could have nailed a better review calling her Talk To me a Cindi Lauper hit and the entire album seems "unfocused" Ya think?

Last edited by Macfan4life; 04-23-2017 at 04:59 PM..
Old 04-23-2017, 05:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It's a good review. I'm not worried about the reviewer citing IMW as the best song. Some reviewers cited Big Love as the best song from Tango when that album came out--and even since. IMW is a very good song. I'm just annoyed I'm not hearing Cnristine on it. At all. Still, as a bench mark for the quality of the album, it's understandable.

I just can't wait to get my hands on the Christine material. If it's anything like ITM, then I'll be stoked.
Old 04-23-2017, 06:01 PM
Senior Ledgie

A good review means a lot to Lindsey and Christine, they worked hard for this project and I guess there's always a personal preference in terms of picking the best song out of an album. I'll take this review for what it is: good press.

" Mi dicono alla radio statti calmo statti buono,
non esser scalmanato stai tranquillo e fatti uomo,
ma io con la mia guerra voglio andare sempre avanti,
e costi quel che costi la vincerò non ci son santi. "
Old 04-23-2017, 07:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Taste is subjective, so I'm happy it's getting good press, and I hope it's great, but I think I will probably base my opinion on Chris's songs just because her output has been so small in the last 20 years. Here's to hoping (but trying not to get my expectations up).

Kevin
Old 04-23-2017, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
In what way, does he mean that you're a bitch or that you're fabulous (or both)?
both.. lol
Old 04-23-2017, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyfan View Post
Taste is subjective, so I'm happy it's getting good press, and I hope it's great, but I think I will probably base my opinion on Chris's songs just because her output has been so small in the last 20 years. Here's to hoping (but trying not to get my expectations up).

Kevin
She's put out 13 songs in the last 13 years. (if you count Come Out to Play)
Old 04-23-2017, 09:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Yes! Which doesn't count her five on the forthcoming album.

I remember her saying in the ITM press interview that she and Dan would have worked on more if they weren't happy with all of the 12 on ITM. I presume there were more song ideas beyond Come Out to Play.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I'm confused. Are you saying that's a lot?

Kevin