Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-16-2017, 01:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
"Big Love" was a top-five hit single.
Yes it was. Its also lost in the heap of lousy lost 80's pop songs. Funny cause you never hear it on the radio today. Classic rock stations who have the Mac in heavy rotation wont play it. I listen to the 80s channel on Sirius-Xm and its rare to hear it. The only songs that get airplay today are Little Lies and Everywhere....usually light rock or adult contemporary stations. The Bridge on Sirius-Xm plays both of them a lot.
Old 04-16-2017, 01:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Yes it was. Its also lost in the heap of lousy lost 80's pop songs. Funny cause you never hear it on the radio today. Classic rock stations who have the Mac in heavy rotation wont play it. I listen to the 80s channel on Sirius-Xm and its rare to hear it. The only songs that get airplay today are Little Lies and Everywhere....usually light rock or adult contemporary stations. The Bridge on Sirius-Xm plays both of them a lot.
This new song is not going to get a lot of airpay.
Old 04-16-2017, 01:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientQueen View Post
The big hit from Tango was "Little Lies", and while the live version of Big Love is certainly iconic, the album track/single was a headscratcher and not much more back then.

Whilst its true Little Lies has a more enduring legacy, there's little difference between them in terms of their success at the times of their release; Big Love US #5, UK #9 and Little Lies US #4, UK #5. Both very successful.
Your original statement was that Big Love is not a signature song. The one song Lindsey will always be most associated with is Go Your Own Way. However, if ever he appears on a TV programme the one song you can guarantee he will play is Big Love. I'd therefore say Big Love has become Lindsey's out and out signature song (apart from GYOW).

I really don't know what you mean about it being a 'headscratcher'.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 04-16-2017, 02:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I'm incredible sorry to say this, but maybe Stevie had the right idea to sit this one out, considering "In my World"...

If that is the stuff for FM lead singles by now, maybe doing nothing would have been better, career- and legacy wise.
Maybe a strong backing vocal by Chris (and Stevie, if she would have been there, with the famous harmony singing) would have made it a bit better, but since not even Christine is on it, but instead we get another shot at the stupid grunting sounds from 1987 (a mystery - Big Love has never been a big hit or a signature song, and still he insists to put that grunts on again and again, ruining great (Everyone finds out) or modestly decent (In my world) songs), it seems like Lindseys production skills are even worse than already feared. He obviously has no clue about what he is doing and/or a major ego problem.
This post is extremely amusing because this is entirely your opinion on things which you're entitled to but you're acting as if it's fact. Clearly there's plenty of people who like the song or just think it's okay and don't have the same feelings about it as you do. I'm kind of baffled by why you would say Big Love wasn't a hit. Even my dad remembers that song from the radio back then and he never listened to that type of music much.
And Lindsey is a musician with over four decades of experience and tons and tons of critical acclaim. While I may also not love everything he does in more recent years, to say he "obviously has no clue" what he's doing is ridiculous.
Old 04-16-2017, 02:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
If that is the stuff for FM lead singles by now, maybe doing nothing would have been better, career- and legacy wise.
are you seriously thinking that? is every song or album David Bowie or Prince or Stones or McCartney (pick your legendary artist) ever did a masterpiece? bands like Fleetwood Mac have their legacy cemented by now. new stuff is flexing their artistic muscle and whether it sucks or is great, it shows they are still artists with something to say. i may not like this song and i may even end up disliking the whole album, but i'm glad it will be out, we get to hear it, and they can move on to other projects which i might like much better - or not (unlike FM being stifled and sitting on this one since 2012).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
But I see this now as the glass half full and positive. We get more Christine songs and get to see Christine and Lindsey in concert. That never would have happened. Chris loves to sing the blues so I expect her to dig out at least one old classic (pre-Buck/Nicks) Mac song to perform for these concerts. That alone just blows my mind and almost makes this whole situation worth it.
all this!!

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 04-16-2017, 02:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchChain View Post
You know, you present a very interesting angle. I actually NEVER thought of this theory. Perhaps Stevie's issue with making new music is NOT totally ONLY with Lindsey. Could there be some resentment with Christine? Maybe some tension began during the tour? Christine probably secretly thinks that Stevie is a drama queen, but tolerates her to save face. Perhaps Stevie felt pushed aside by everyone but Mick, which led to her dismissing herself from new projects. Interesting theory.
I think while when it comes to individuals, Lindsey is the problematic one for her, but that's not the only reason. I think she truly wants to feel in charge and in control and comfortable in her environment when she does an album. When she records with Fleetwood Mac, she's technically the least talented out of the 3 writers and probably ends up feeling that she is because she can't play an instrument and her production capabilities are still heavily dependent on other people. It probably hurts the ego a little, which I get. When she does her solo work, SHE'S the boss and she's in charge and she gets to have everything how she wants. Which is understandable imo, but still frustrating.
Old 04-16-2017, 02:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl84 View Post
BEST case scenario they have 6-8 additional songs at an in progress state that they are setting aside for another duets album OR the unlikely event Stevie comes around. There's definitely more songs in the hopper, wasnt the very first batch of songs they started on before the 2013 tour allegedly around 8 or 9 and then more were added when Chris returned?

Or we will see another Lindsey solo album. I'm almost more inclined to think if the duets album does well, he might enjoy working with Christine again. I do think the chances of a mac album with all five has pretty much passed as sad as it is to say.
yes, i think there were 8 songs in the first batch back in 2012. 3 went onto EP and 5 on BuckVie. so i think this is that whole set, which i'm glad to have finally out, because at the time Lindsey was saying they were soft-poppy and fleetwood macy to try to lure Stevie to join in. i don't like my LB too soft poppy so i'm glad these will now finally be out. then FM (minus Nicks) recorded 5 more songs since Christine joined in 2014. those are 5 songs that are now listed with either Christine as a sole songwriter, or as Christine-Lindsey collaborations.

Lindsey was working on more songs during 2014-15 tour, i believe. that must be the batch that he's planning to release on his next solo project that has been slated for the end of this year.

after that, there's Mac farewell tour. then after that, who knows? if they continue enjoying McBuck collaboration, maybe we see a new incarnation of FM after they retire this existing one with all 5 in 2019?

judging by his creativity and activities in 2000s, i fully expect Lindsey to have a few more solo albums and tours and maybe some additional side projects with other artists for a good number of years after FM retires.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 04-16-2017, 02:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I do not believe for one second that we won't get another album with all five, unless someone dies. Stevie has never said she won't do another album, just that she does not think they will. I don't think the word never or won't has been used in a direct, verified quote. It is just press and fan speculation. Which was her opinion at the time she was asked, usually while on tour or in between tours. It's part of the drama that surrounds FM and Stevie is not the only one guilty of this.

Though I still don't understand why the haters even want her to participate if they don't even like her voice now! But whatever. This thread is a broken record and I am just adding to it. I guess if someone dies and they can't do another album as FM some fans will want someone to blame, and if they do produce another album the fans who dislike Stevie will want someone to shred.

And now the posts dismissing me as a shipper or Chiffonhead or idiot can begin again since the "cool" thing seems to be to hate Stevie now (both as a musician and as a person) and only worship Lindsey/Christine/Mick/John (all of whom I love btw, and I like the new single and have already pre-ordered the album and can't wait to hear the other songs).

Last edited by StevieandChris; 04-16-2017 at 03:01 PM..
Old 04-16-2017, 03:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieandChris View Post
I do not believe for one second that we won't get another album with all five, unless someone dies. Stevie has never said she won't do another album, just that she does not think they will. I don't think the word never or won't has been used in a direct, verified quote. It is just press and fan speculation. Which was her opinion at the time she was asked, usually while on tour or in between tours. It's part of the drama that surrounds FM and Stevie is not the only one guilty of this.

Though I still don't understand why the haters even want her to participate if they don't even like her voice now! But whatever. This thread is a broken record and I am just adding to it. I guess if someone dies and they can't do another album as FM some fans will want someone to blame, and if they do produce another album the fans who dislike Stevie will want someone to shred.

And now the posts dismissing me as a shipper or Chiffonhead or idiot can begin again since the "cool" thing seems to be to hate Stevie now (both as a musician and as a person) and only worship Lindsey/Christine/Mick/John (all of whom I love btw, and I like the new single and have already pre-ordered the album and can't wait to hear the other songs).
She did it to herself. Burn witch - burn!

P.S. They will be dying off soon. They are old and God only knows what all the drugs have done to their bodies. The women in Stevie's family live long but I'm sure they didn't snort truckloads of cocaine for years. And John battled cancer.

Last edited by Jondalar; 04-16-2017 at 03:20 PM..
Old 04-16-2017, 03:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Isn't it a shame?

Yes it is; I've been a Fleetwood Mac fan for 30 years and enjoy listening to the music of all incarnations of the band. I'll admit to being less of a fan of Stevie and her music than I am of either Lindsey or Christine and I am so frustrated by her attitude. I think her ego is detestable.
However I find it pretty sad the number of people calling her all manner of disgusting things. Grown-up men (and quite possibly women too, but mostly men, I think) thinking its funny to write 'burn the witch' and the like. I respect the right to free speech but come on ffs, grow up people and put things into perspective

Mick Fleetwood
Old 04-16-2017, 03:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
She did it to herself. Burn witch - burn!

---No. We all are responsible for choosing how to react to someone or a situation. If we want to post something negative about anyone, it is our decision to do so.

P.S. They will be dying off soon. They are old and God only knows what all the drugs have done to their bodies. The women in Stevie's family live long but I'm sure they didn't snort truckloads of cocaine for years. And John battled cancer.
---Yes, that is true. May they have more years ahead.
Old 04-16-2017, 04:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieandChris View Post
---Yes, that is true. May they have more years ahead.
She deserves negative posts - no apologies here.
Old 04-16-2017, 04:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
She deserves negative posts - no apologies here.
Nothing wrong with negativity. Everyone doesn't have to agree.
There's no need to act like a d!ck about it though.

Edit: moderators: please be aware I am referring to the terminology used as 'dickish' as opposed to labelling anyone in particular as a dick. Thank you.

Mick Fleetwood

Last edited by FuzzyPlum; 04-16-2017 at 04:16 PM..
Old 04-16-2017, 04:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Nothing wrong with negativity. Everyone doesn't have to agree.
There's no need to act like a d!ck about it though.
There is also no need to act like a snowflake...
Old 04-16-2017, 04:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Board politics

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
I think while when it comes to individuals, Lindsey is the problematic one for her, but that's not the only reason. I think she truly wants to feel in charge and in control and comfortable in her environment when she does an album. When she records with Fleetwood Mac, she's technically the least talented out of the 3 writers and probably ends up feeling that she is because she can't play an instrument and her production capabilities are still heavily dependent on other people. It probably hurts the ego a little, which I get. When she does her solo work, SHE'S the boss and she's in charge and she gets to have everything how she wants. Which is understandable imo, but still frustrating.
I'm sorry but I can't see how is understandable to want to be in control when you KNOW you're the least talented of the group. This happens in every work environment. If you're the least talented or experienced, you don't ask to be in charge. Simple as that.

I can't even understand how she's in charge in her solo work, because probably every person sorrounded her has more musical expertise.

She has every opportunity in her life to learn to play an instrument, yet she opted for the shawls and the twirls and the tambourine. Fine, to each their own. But then you don't ask to be in charge 40 years later. It's not right and it's not healthy for the band.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.