All the Beautiful Worlds
Cathouse Blues
Watch Chain
Belle Fleur
Old 10-03-2014, 08:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gssmith View Post
1) I got a record player just for this. Now I'm listing to Tusk on vinyl. Vinyl really doesn't sound as good as cd/headphones like people have said. But it's interesting anyway. Cool experience.
The sound quality when you first play an original pressing vinyl is far superior to CD quality. If your copy of Tusk was an original 79 pressing that had never been played, the sound would blow you away.

The problem with vinyl, of course, is that it wears out quickly and is easilly damaged.

Unfortunately, with these modern vinyl's, the sound quality is pretty much the same as the CD as the same mastering process is used for both. And as it's vinyl, it wears out quicker.
Old 10-03-2014, 10:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWILDheart View Post
The sound quality when you first play an original pressing vinyl is far superior to CD quality. If your copy of Tusk was an original 79 pressing that had never been played, the sound would blow you away.

The problem with vinyl, of course, is that it wears out quickly and is easilly damaged.

Unfortunately, with these modern vinyl's, the sound quality is pretty much the same as the CD as the same mastering process is used for both. And as it's vinyl, it wears out quicker.
Also, needle quality. I have hundreds of albums on both CD and viyl, and almost always prefer the vinyl sound (except for dance music). CDs are just louder, not better, though they can be cleaner if you have a poor quality turntable/needle or a dirty record. Even needles need to be cleaned with a carbon fiber brush. I clean the needle after every record.

And mastering techniques - a record should never be made from a CD master, and vice versa, but many labels and bands, hoping to jump on the vinyl bandwagon, do just that and the records they produce sound like crap.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case

Last edited by KarmaContestant; 10-03-2014 at 10:24 AM..
Old 10-03-2014, 11:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

24 Karat Gold
If You Were My Love
Mabel Normand
The Dealer
Hard Advice
Belle Fleur

I really love the whole two first sides. I'd almost list All the Beautiful for that vocal alone.
Old 10-03-2014, 12:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Thumbs up

These are (mostly) in order of preference:

24k Gold
Belle Fleur
If You Were My Love
Mabel Normand
Blue Water
Starshine
Old 10-04-2014, 06:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default ok...

this album is driving me crazy in such a good way. The more I listen, the more I love it!

My six...

Vinyl 1, side 2 (perfection)

24 Karat Gold
Belle Fleur
All the Beautiful Worlds
Lady

and..

Mabel Normand
If You Were My Love

I'm also starting to really like "Blue Water" as I am putting the demo behind me - well, just a little. Also, really love "Hard Advice" and "She Loves Him Still".. beautiful music, Stevie. I'm looking forward to Songs from the Vault, part 2.

Yep. I bought the doll.
Old 10-04-2014, 07:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

This stellar album only proves what many of us have known for decades... that many of her best songs stayed in the vault. The good thing is that 24 K only scratches the surface! Really hard to pick a top 6, I really don't see any clunkers on this as some have said.

So, for someone who doesn't really like Rock a Little, I gotta say Mabel Normand is my top pick! This is just wonderful and really has the Stevie vibe that's taken a rest all these years. As for the rest:

All the Beautiful Worlds I would re-title All the Beautiful Vocals, it's just amazingly sung.
24 Karot: I agree, the classic that should have followed all the top names we know and love.
Belle Fleur: best into bar Edge of Seventeen on any solo song she's done, what an amazing build-up.
Watch Chain: Another stellar Mac classic that could've been.
I Don't Care: Love it! The less-lyrics is more works for me on this and I don't care that's it's 6 minutes long, I just care that she cared enough to take this risk and do an epic rocker. Well done Stevie!
Old 10-04-2014, 08:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWILDheart View Post

Vinyl's great, but it's not better than CDs - Vox
Old 10-04-2014, 09:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I haven't heard the whole thing yet but I'm loving Mabel, Starshine and Watch Chain.
Starshine reminds me of Lou Reed's Vicious.
I keep singing "Starshine, you hit me with a flower".
Mabel reminds me of Bob Dylan.
I was surprised with the guitar on Watch Chain, having had the demo in my head from a bootleg I've had on vinyl since 1979. Love the heavy Warren Zevonish sound.
Loving the title track even though it recalls so much from Dreams.

Liking Hard Advice the least so far. The sound makes me think of mainstream faux "country" music and
that takes me to a bad Republican place in my mind. Feels over-wrought and unfinished.
But - I will say this: the musicianship and production on every track is stellar.
I expect great reviews and a better seller than In Your Dreams.
These Dave Stewart albums are worthy of a place right next to Bella Donna.
Old 10-04-2014, 12:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

In no particular order:

1. Starshine (an ultimate right footpedal song)
2.Mabel Normand
3. The Dealer (yes, finally recorded, could be better but hey ... we have it on CD)
4. Watch Chain (one of the first demos I'd heard back then)
5. 24 Karat Gold
6. Cathouse Blues (Sorry, cannot help it, but I love this smokey nightclub sound).
Old 10-04-2014, 08:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Twisted
Starshine (could do without the last "starshine" that closes the song though)
The Dealer
All The Beautiful Worlds
24 Karat Gold
Blue Water

I don't like Mabel Normand and was kind of shocked at how it sounds given all the praise it's been getting here. I was like, "What? That still isn't a song. She's just having a rambling conversation and there's music under her words." You guys made me think the demo had been transformed into something magical.

If You Were My Love was my other least favorite song, but I didn't have hope that that would be any better than past versions anyway.

Michele
Old 10-04-2014, 11:49 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Twisted
I don't like Mabel Normand and was kind of shocked at how it sounds given all the praise it's been getting here. I was like, "What? That still isn't a song. She's just having a rambling conversation and there's music under her words." You guys made me think the demo had been transformed into something magical.

Michele
I really like Mabel Normand, precisely because it is different, and almost stylistically akin to Joni Mitchell or Bob Dylan, in that she doesn't have a chorus that repeats again and again... and again.

My top six (in no particular order and subject to change):

1. I Don't Care
2. All the Beautiful Worlds
3. 24 Karat Gold
4. Belle Fleur
5. Mabel Normand
6. She Still Loves Him
"It was, because we demanded it from the very beginning. You can't be a wimp, and then one or two years later decide not to be a wimp anymore. Because people will always treat you like a wimp, once they have decided that's what you are. So you can never be that. You have to be strong, tough, smart, and know who you are. So, people will get that. Then, they're always going to be great to you. Then, they listen to you; they listen to your songs. They give you a chance. Otherwise, you get nowhere."
Old 10-04-2014, 11:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoetofRhiannon View Post
I really like Mabel Normand, precisely because it is different, and almost stylistically akin to Joni Mitchell or Bob Dylan, in that she doesn't have a chorus that repeats again and again... and again.
But I think not only does she not have a chorus, she doesn't have any verses either.

Michele
Old 10-05-2014, 12:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

24 karat gold - the backing vocals especially in the second half of the song really make it and are a little bit like the kinds of flourishes Lindsey adds to her songs.

Mabel Normand-- a lot of it is the guitar I think. I dunno. It still lyrically is a hot mess though.

I Don't Care-- I think she let Waddy get his Zeppelin on with this one; not sure it was her doing. Not crazy about the lyrics on the newly added bridge-- takes away from the raunchy, just shut up and eff me vibe of the original. And don't like the repeat of the bridge at the end.

Watch Chain-- like the groove of it. The lyrics are a bit thin but I do like the melody and words of the line "touching fingers through the kitchen lace". Very provocative.

Lady-- it goes on for well over a minute too long but it honors the demo beautifully.

Belle Fleur mostly because you asked for 6.