The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Post-Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-12-2020, 11:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, he can be a genius, but please not a visionary. I almost fainted in the store when I saw the “visionary” sticker on the CD.

Last edited by michelej1; 04-13-2020 at 10:00 AM..
Old 04-13-2020, 06:40 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
You beat me to the punch. I still remember buying my BTM cassette tape in late April 1990 at the Greengate Mall, Record Mart, Greensburg, PA. I was 20 and working at a grocery store. I LOVED how unpop it was compared to Tango. I loved the bluesy feel some of the songs had and how we all heard Christine's playing again. In The Back Of My Mind was an early favorite and loved how all 3 singers were featured in the song. The only dud on the album is Hard Feelings IMHO. Half the album is outstanding while the other half pretty good. I prefer Lindsey in the band of course but there is something about this era that really appeals to me. I think maybe because maybe Christine was more of a focus than she normally was especially in concert. Mick and Billy were drinking themselves blind while Stevie was zonked out of her mind. She seemed to be the capable captain navigating the ship. The 1990 Farewell Concert still racks up as one of my all time favorite concerts ever. As crazy as this sounds, I preferred it to the Dance. The Dance was so scripted and studio like. While it was great having Lindsey back, the 1990 shows were arena rock days when anything could happen and technology was not taking over sound (yet).
Was disappointed how poorly the album sold and to barely have a top 30 hit from the Mac was shocking. No Stevie songs even good enough to release or chart...another first for the band. Although we can celebrate the album's big success in the UK #1 and in Canada Save Me peaked at #7.
Agree with every thing you say! Behind the Mask was the first Fleetwood Mac release that I bought the day it came out on CD. Loved-and love- the sound ! Give me this album instead of Tango any day! Among other things, it showed how well the band could cope with LB's leaving. And yes, it is more 'natural' than 'The Dance'. Loved the 1990 shows. Really feel that this line-up should have lasted longer, but, then again, that's another story....
Old 04-13-2020, 08:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The group worked very well as a team and had a distinctive sound still FM but different from the LB work. The harmonies on almost everything are grand. BTM is great, not a dud among the songs, and mostly teamwork, nobody plugged solo work into the mix. This era also gave us As Long as you Follow, No Questions Asked, Paper Doll, Love Shines, Heart of Stone. I think the album did as well as an album with LB would have, it was a time when the music business and tastes changed rapidly and FM were going to be passe and dinosaurs no matter what.
Old 04-13-2020, 11:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzo View Post
The group worked very well as a team and had a distinctive sound still FM but different from the LB work. The harmonies on almost everything are grand. BTM is great, not a dud among the songs, and mostly teamwork, nobody plugged solo work into the mix. This era also gave us As Long as you Follow, No Questions Asked, Paper Doll, Love Shines, Heart of Stone. I think the album did as well as an album with LB would have, it was a time when the music business and tastes changed rapidly and FM were going to be passe and dinosaurs no matter what.
As Long as You Follow is one of the best things Fleetwood Mac ever released. It is truly one of Christine's greatest songs and a shame that it sort of gets forgotten about on the Greatest Hits album.
Old 04-13-2020, 12:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmn3 View Post
As Long as You Follow is one of the best things Fleetwood Mac ever released. It is truly one of Christine's greatest songs and a shame that it sort of gets forgotten about on the Greatest Hits album.
I think ALAYF and Love Shines are two of the best things she's ever done, and both should have been big hits. They both make every FM greatest hits I've ever made.
Old 04-13-2020, 12:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I think ALAYF and Love Shines are two of the best things she's ever done, and both should have been big hits. They both make every FM greatest hits I've ever made.
There must have been a conspiracy against FM that purposely made ALAYF not a hit. When I first heard it and saw the video, I instantly thought it was going to be #1. Everyone was anticipating what the new Mac would sound like plus it was on a very popular Greatest Hits record.
Yet...never ever heard it on the radio even why I tried to find it
MTV never played the video. Only VH1 played it. I remember being so pissed why MTV would not play it.
The song never even cracked the top 40. Unbelievable.

Do you suppose Lindsey was secretly paying MTV and radio stations not to play it?
Old 04-13-2020, 12:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
There must have been a conspiracy against FM that purposely made ALAYF not a hit. When I first heard it and saw the video, I instantly thought it was going to be #1. Everyone was anticipating what the new Mac would sound like plus it was on a very popular Greatest Hits record.
Yet...never ever heard it on the radio even why I tried to find it
MTV never played the video. Only VH1 played it. I remember being so pissed why MTV would not play it.

Do you suppose Lindsey was secretly paying MTV and radio stations not to play it?
That's some peak chiffon tin foil hat level territory there..

I remember as a youngster seeing the ALAYF video on VH1 but definitely don't recall it on MTV - coming off Tango you'd think they'd be more successful but I think the timing was just bad for a group of 40-45 year olds who were definitely coming off their "cool" peak.
Old 04-13-2020, 12:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmn3 View Post
That's some peak chiffon tin foil hat level territory there..

I remember as a youngster seeing the ALAYF video on VH1 but definitely don't recall it on MTV - coming off Tango you'd think they'd be more successful but I think the timing was just bad for a group of 40-45 year olds who were definitely coming off their "cool" peak.
So are we saying that...THIRTY PLUS YEARS AGO, that our heroes were HAS BEENS. Back then?

I guess it's true.

This coming to jesus moment brought to you by Homer McVie...
Old 04-13-2020, 12:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
So are we saying that...THIRTY PLUS YEARS AGO, that our heroes were HAS BEENS. Back then?

I guess it's true.

This coming to jesus moment brought to you by Homer McVie...
lol....yes, sad but true! And this comes from someone who was 9 at the time in question!

But the cool factor ebbs and flows. I think they got EXTREMELY cool again in 1997 (maybe the most ever for a short time...certainly popular with a variety of generations) and still maintain some of that to this day, though I'd say after the "Christine's back" reunion, and this most recent nonsense, combined with their age, they're on the cool factor decline yet again.
Old 04-13-2020, 01:16 PM

Quote:
And OMG!! she did them without Lindsey???? : - O
Old 04-13-2020, 01:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
There must have been a conspiracy against FM that purposely made ALAYF not a hit.I remember being so pissed why MTV would not play it.
I remember reading a Billboard Magazine article back in the 1990's that said any artist who releases a new single around Christmas time usually won't have success with such single. Because of the heavy volume of X-Mas music played from the day after Thanksgiving to January 2, most people are listening to the holiday tunes or ignoring the radio completely during that time. Warner Brothers was probably betting a Fleetwood Mac song would do well regardless, but As Long As You Follow was released in November and sadly it tanked.
Old 04-13-2020, 05:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
And OMG!! she did them without Lindsey???? : - O
Even a blind pig finds an acorn every once in a while.

Sorry, I meant spineless pig....
Old 04-13-2020, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Even a blind pig finds an acorn every once in a while.

Sorry, I meant spineless pig....
Hey now, Christine can write! She survived pre B/N and certain wrote great material after LB left.
Old 04-13-2020, 07:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Hey now, Christine can write! She survived pre B/N and certain wrote great material after LB left.
And yet let her good friend and musical collaborator of 43 years be thrown under the bus like an old condom wrapper.
#chaiseloungeChristine
Old 04-14-2020, 07:28 AM

Quote:
And yet let her good friend and musical collaborator of 43 years be thrown under the bus like an old condom wrapper.
#chaiseloungeChristine
Does not mean she can't compose.

And..... If anything, she tried to bridge the gap those two whackos. I always suspected she left (in-part) because of the in-fighting. Always in the middle. She didn't throw Lindsey under the bus. Someone else did. Rhymes with boat. Rhymes with cheesy.