Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-10-2003, 10:12 AM
Ledgie

Default Is Peacekeeper a flop?

Since it has gone live on Radio last Wednesday I have yet to hear it on the radio in NYC/NJ. I have spent 4 hours a day commuting to and from work and have been scanning all radio staions, top 40, light rock, rock to no avail. Obviously it has been on in NYC but from what I can tell it is becoming a flop of a single. If this is the case I blame Warners for picking one of the more anemic songs from this new album as a first single.
Old 03-10-2003, 10:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Is Peacekeeper a flop?

Quote:
Originally posted by jeffs
If this is the case I blame Warners for picking one of the more anemic songs from this new album as a first single.
I couldn't tell Peacekeeper was anemic. Especially haven't I heard a song from the new album (just considering the possible singles i.e. you can't count things like Come, Red rover etc, these are great tunes but not for the masses as a single release) which I would regard as edgier. But that's of course a matter of subjective and personal impression.

A different question is how you could estimate success. In my opinion it's ridiculous that there is no single in the stores and that the charts are based on airplay. Madonna or Eminem could release the daily news as singles and still get Number one airplay. So if FM don't succeed with a single, it's more likely because of the fact, that radio stations don't want to play music from groups of that age and with a certain public image. I would not be surprised if the responsible radio staff even did not listen to the song. I really doubt that they did and then said, "no that`s not good" On the other board I read, that a station wouldn't play it until it already has success and other stations are playing it a lot. That`s somehow a circle... Get the single out in the stores, base the charts on the amount of sold copies and no Aguilera, Britney and Nsync radio mafia can manipulate what finally the billboard chart result is like...
Old 03-10-2003, 10:52 AM
Ledgie

So if FM don't succeed with a single, it's more likely because of the fact, that radio stations don't want to play music from groups of that age and with a certain public image. I would not be surprised if the responsible radio staff even did not listen to the song

Well, during the 4 hours or so I did manage to hear Go Your Own Way and Gypsy each once so it isn't anything personal against Fleetwood Mac or their public image, I think it is the listenability of the song speaking loudly for itself. I love FM and certainly do not want to be dis-respectful to one of my favorite bands. I am just upset of the lack of radio play and what I find as a questionable first single.
Old 03-10-2003, 11:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Radio is very reluctant to play anything new by older bands/artists. It is a fact. These bands do poorly on radio, marginally better with album sales, but tour extremely well. It would be surprise if any NEW Fleetwood Mac song got extensive radio airplay outside of a few niche stations/markets.
Old 03-10-2003, 11:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I agree with you John Run. Older titles from older bands are played here also a lot.
Old 03-10-2003, 12:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Smile

Gypsy, most of all, and other songs aalways play on a radio station up here.
Old 03-10-2003, 01:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Album sales are the only thing that matter.
Old 03-10-2003, 03:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't think a federal law could get radio stations to play new songs from "classic rock" artists. Actually, federal law allowed radio to become homogenized, but I'll get to that. The "classic rock" station in Los Angeles plays old songs. Period. I don't care how good the new songs are. Springsteen can't get new songs on, nor The Stones. The only older artists who have gotten any play at all in recent years have been Sting and Bonnie Raitt. And that is mostly on AAA "adult alternative" stations. I envy those people who have such stations in their cities. We in Los Angeles lost both ours - and as a result have the most monotonous, uninspired radio of any large city in the country. I have heard Peacekeeper twice here - in conjunction with on-air appearances. I 'm not holding my breath for more plays. People at the radio stations don't really pick the songs anyway - their parent companies tell them what to play. I believe 5 companies now own @ 70% of the stations in the U.S. And their stations play the exact same songs in every city. Thank you, F.C.C. and deregulation !
Old 03-10-2003, 07:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Angry

I HATE THAT

OLD MUSICIANS SHOULD BE ABLE TO HAVE THEIR NEW MUSIC ON EVERY STATIONS. IT WOULD BE GOOD FOR THEM, INSTEAD OF PLAYING THE NOT-SO-TALENTED MUSICIANS OF TODAY, WHO HAVE TO LIP SYNC TO GET ANY TYPE OF FAME.

RRRRRRRRRRRRR. FLASHBACK TO REQUESTING PEACEKEEPER. FUMMING, FUMMING.

IT SO DUMB THE WAY CLASSIC ARTISTS ARE TREATED LIKE DOGS
Old 03-10-2003, 08:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I wonder if British radio stations will play any of the Say You Will tracks...at all??? I really hope they release Peacekeeper here aswell, it would do very well, especially given the mood of the majority of the British public.

Old 03-10-2003, 08:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Angry GRRR.....

How the BLEEP are we supposed to know if it's a flop or not, they won't play the BLEEPING thing on the BLEEPING radio!!!!!!
I heard it ONCE the other morning and they MADE FUN OF IT so bleh. Also, I heard another radio station DJ say that FM had a new album coming out..so I'm all "YAY, they are about to play PK when the commercials are over!!" Um....they played frickin RHIANNON!!!! GRRRRR!!!!!!!!!

RADIO BITES!!!
Old 03-10-2003, 09:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Talking Re: GRRR.....

Quote:
Originally posted by wondergirl9847
RADIO BITES!!! [/B]
Actually here's MY opinion of radio:

..."YUCKKKK", Bwj

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."

Last edited by estranged4life; 03-10-2003 at 10:02 PM..
Old 03-10-2003, 09:41 PM
thewhitewingedd
This message has been deleted by thewhitewingedd.
Old 03-10-2003, 09:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Angry Peacekeeper...flip-flopping!!!

I tell you they absolutely ruined it with
the new words! It ROCKED with Lindsey's
Solo version! It was Scary... now it is too
softened...It's Nothing! JMO!Pouting!Sky

Peacekeeper song ... Lindsey
Old 03-10-2003, 10:17 PM
Ledgie

Default Relax..

Breathe deeply...it is going to be alright. Sometimes a single doesn't gallop out of the gate..it builds...like Lindsey said in that recent interview, there are many other possible singles in case "Peacekeeper" misses its target...

I think the singles from Stevie's last album made more of an impact on VH1 than the radio...and I think [inspite of comments to the contrary] there will be a video...whether it is for Peacekeeper or the second single....
Old 03-10-2003, 10:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Hits??? Who cares???

Who cares if any of the songs are hits or not? Pop radio and MTV only care about teenage girls' listening habits. If music quality was an indicator of success then Out of the Cradel would have been a smash in my opinion.....

Take it easy...

Rob

"The biggest conspiracy has always been the fact that there is no conspiracy. Nobody's out to get you. Nobody gives a sh*t whether you live or die. There, you feel better now? "

"(Sept. 11) was a big thing for me. I was saying to liberal America, "Well, what are you offering?" And they said, "Well, we're not going to protect you, and we want some more money." That didn't interest me."
- Dennis Miller