The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-25-2004, 08:14 AM

Default What the hell is going on!?

There seems to be too much of a heavy hand handling things here right now. I keep seeing threads disappear, now I see a moderator put up a thread with a sticky and preventing people from responding. This is inappropriate and unacceptable. Who is running this forum, John Asscroft!?

First, there are too man freakin' stickies up right now and it's out of hand. Why are we being forced to scroll down to at least the sixth or seventh thread to engage in a discussion? Get rid of the stickies. Now! They are annoying, especially when the same freakin' message shows up on every god-dang board. Get rid of them. Or find a place for them exclusively. The last I checked there is a "Ledge Boards" area in this forum and that's where these things belong.

That stuff is bad enough. Now I'm beginning to see a rather insipid practice of disappearing threads. What the hell is going on here?

And why is a sticky thread being started and people being prevented from responding? So next time I need to make a statement but don't want to be bothered with questions about it, can I just put up a sticky and lock the thread immediately? THIS IS A MICKEY-MOUSE WAY TO RUN THINGS, and that kind of practice BELONGS ON MICK'S BOARD, not here.

Lastly, why is Villavic's thread on FM videos locked? Who the hell is locking all these threads?

I want answers!!
Old 08-25-2004, 08:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

What's the magic word?

And I must admit I did wonder about Villavic's locked thread

Pip
Old 08-25-2004, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy-Rhiannon
What's the magic word?

And I must admit I did wonder about Villavic's locked thread

Pip
Yes, this is an outrage! I thought this forum was above that kind of thing.
Old 08-25-2004, 10:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I support the deleting of the thread in the Chit Chat forum as it violated the rules regarding drug usage, etc.

I also support the locking of the thread that was continuing an argument on Burnish.net - I think that argument had no place here and I think it violated the FAQ's although I could be wrong.

I know nothing about the FM Video thread - so I cannot comment on that.

All in all, I think once a moderator tells someone to watch it, they need to do that or PM that moderator and tell them what is going on etc.

Anyway, my $0.02.

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 08-25-2004, 11:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Could it be because Villavic's thread was a dupe? There already is a thread about Favorite mac videos.
Old 08-25-2004, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind
I support the deleting of the thread in the Chit Chat forum as it violated the rules regarding drug usage, etc.
You mean to tell me that a poster saying he/she was posting while under the influence of drugs is supposed to be some kind of violation? That seems like a stretch to me.

Hell, we should never mention Stevie's, Lindsey's Christine's, Mick's and John's abuse of various substances then. Seems like an arbitrary decision was made, and it was a bad one.

Smells of censorship to me.
Old 08-25-2004, 11:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The reason his thread was locked was because he accidently made two. No big controversy there.
Old 08-25-2004, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheEdgeof17
The reason his thread was locked was because he accidently made two. No big controversy there.
Uh? Who? Which thread?
Old 08-25-2004, 12:06 PM
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie

CarneVaca--

Such hostility! Nobody forces you to frequent the Ledge forums-- certainly not the moderators. At any time or if you do not like the way the forums are run, you are free to find something else to do. You can also get your own server, create your own forum, and post as much as you want. You can have as many rules as you want, or no rules at all.

A FAQ was established that has the guidelines for these forums. It has been modified from time to time as the Ledge grows by myself and the moderators. The moderators do their best to enforce the FAQ and if their (or my) actions strike you as censorship, then so be it. These actions do not qualify as censorship to me. For the number of posts that are on the Ledge (approaching 150,000), I think the moderators intervene VERY infrequently and with much discretion. For your convenience, the FAQ contains links to a few areas on the internet where there are no rules at all. If you do not like the FAQ, you can go to the other sites or start your own forum as suggested above.

There is nothing wrong with the content of Villavic's post. I notice EXACTLY the same thing is posted on the Ledge and it is not closed. The unclosed post has a poll though. PERHAPS, he wanted a poll in it and forgot to add that option in the original post. He then started a second one with a poll and, since users can no longer delete their own posts if they started a thread [a feature added after another blowup a few months back], it was closed by a moderator. Is that plausible at all? Was he censored at all because of this?

As the administrator of The Ledges, it is at my discretion to have sticky threads or not. I have delegated this option to the moderators as well. Key elements of the site that people will find interesting or for which I am hoping for some participation are 'stuck'. Some people, unlike yourself, visit the forums infrequently and I would like this information to be easily accessible. Again, on your forum, you can avoid the use of all sticky threads as this bothers you so much, that it is apparently necessary to use big red words to try to make a point.

- Marty
Old 08-25-2004, 01:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarneVaca
There seems to be too much of a heavy hand handling things here right now. I keep seeing threads disappear, now I see a moderator put up a thread with a sticky and preventing people from responding. This is inappropriate and unacceptable. Who is running this forum, John Asscroft!?

First, there are too man freakin' stickies up right now and it's out of hand. Why are we being forced to scroll down to at least the sixth or seventh thread to engage in a discussion? Get rid of the stickies. Now! They are annoying, especially when the same freakin' message shows up on every god-dang board. Get rid of them. Or find a place for them exclusively. The last I checked there is a "Ledge Boards" area in this forum and that's where these things belong.

That stuff is bad enough. Now I'm beginning to see a rather insipid practice of disappearing threads. What the hell is going on here?

And why is a sticky thread being started and people being prevented from responding? So next time I need to make a statement but don't want to be bothered with questions about it, can I just put up a sticky and lock the thread immediately? THIS IS A MICKEY-MOUSE WAY TO RUN THINGS, and that kind of practice BELONGS ON MICK'S BOARD, not here.

Lastly, why is Villavic's thread on FM videos locked? Who the hell is locking all these threads?

I want answers!!
breathe in.....breathe out....now chill out
Old 08-25-2004, 01:32 PM
Lux
This message has been deleted by Lux.
Old 08-25-2004, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePenguin
CarneVaca--

Such hostility!
Hostility!? Not even close. Just asking for some answers, is all. Or is asking questions an act of aggression in your eyes?

Quote:
Nobody forces you to frequent the Ledge forums-- certainly not the moderators. At any time or if you do not like the way the forums are run, you are free to find something else to do. You can also get your own server, create your own forum, and post as much as you want. You can have as many rules as you want, or no rules at all.
I know, Marty. You love to point that out every single time, and frankly I could have answered it for you since I know it by heart now, but you're not really addressing the issue, are you?

Quote:
There is nothing wrong with the content of Villavic's post. I notice EXACTLY the same thing is posted on the Ledge and it is not closed. The unclosed post has a poll though. PERHAPS, he wanted a poll in it and forgot to add that option in the original post. He then started a second one with a poll and, since users can no longer delete their own posts if they started a thread [a feature added after another blowup a few months back], it was closed by a moderator. Is that plausible at all? Was he censored at all because of this?
A simple, "Villavic made a mistake. A new thread was started and the original one canceled," would have sufficed. Why lock the thread? If it's an unintentional dupe, why not delete it?

Quote:
As the administrator of The Ledges, it is at my discretion to have sticky threads or not. I have delegated this option to the moderators as well. Key elements of the site that people will find interesting or for which I am hoping for some participation are 'stuck'.
Does the same message have to be stuck on every single board? Why do you have a "Ledge Forums" board if you're going to use every other board for the purposes of the "Ledge Forums" board? Now we have stickies going up with apologies to friends on threads that are locked to prevent anyone from responding. That strikes me as an abuse of the sticky and locking power. And I noticed you didn't address that point. Why not? Why is it OK to create a restricted thread so you can apologize to a friend?

And why was it necessary to delete threads that already contained a lot of participation? When the thread should have been deleted -- the unintentional duplication mentioned above -- it was locked. When it perhaps should have been locked or been moderated with some posts of caution -- the Burnish and Zeppelin debacles -- it was deleted. What's the rationale here?

Quote:
Again, on your forum, you can avoid the use of all sticky threads as this bothers you so much, that it is apparently necessary to use big red words to try to make a point.
Gee, Marty, now you're objecting to how I choose to write my posts. That kind of thing should be beneath you. I don't see anything in the FAQ about prohibiting the highlighting of words and phrases in your posts. Why would you object to that? You object to my making a point? I see you're not above repeating yourself several times to make your points -- it's my board, read the FAQ, etc. -- so why would you object to how I make mine?

Last edited by CarneVaca; 08-25-2004 at 01:36 PM..
Old 08-25-2004, 01:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yaaaaaawwwwwwwnnnnnnn..

Seriously, how long is THIS one going to go on? Oh well, I guess I will CHOOSE to not read this thread anymore.

Paula
Old 08-25-2004, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skcin
Yaaaaaawwwwwwwnnnnnnn..

Seriously, how long is THIS one going to go on? Oh well, I guess I will CHOOSE to not read this thread anymore.

Paula
I endorse that choice.
Old 08-25-2004, 02:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skcin
Yaaaaaawwwwwwwnnnnnnn..

Seriously, how long is THIS one going to go on?

However, I have to admit it- I have a strange fascination with watching people invest so much energy into something so trivial simply for the sake of argument.
Old 08-25-2004, 02:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

freedom of speech.
ah, so trivial