User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-09-2013, 03:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
Sort of ironic because he's the one who left the band back in the 80s and no one knew if he'd ever be back. I think she was hurt by that from a number of different interviews where she talked about it.
Yes, she had angry interviews just like he has had since she left. Once she indicated that he would not be missed much because she and Stevie had all the hits anyway. She said bitter things when he was first gone. Ironically, I think John was the first one to say he was sad Lindsey was gone. The others had angry pronouncements at first. Then their softness came through later.

He has said that he understood her leaving precisely because he had to leave himself, but I don't think he actually does. Mojo said he talked about her leaving with surprising vehemence. Of course that is their editorial description and cannot be trusted, but I got a kick out of it. Michele
Old 01-09-2013, 03:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post

Also, that whole throwing a drink in his face thing. He probably didn't like that either.
Lindsey says he doesn't even have memory of that whole thing and you know he and Stevie have doubtless thrown a lot worse at each other!

Michele
Old 01-09-2013, 10:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Oh he's reiterated a lot of things since she's been gone and one of the reasons for that is, I believe, that he is sorry/mad she's gone. He has said she accelerated his break up with Stevie. He has said she made Stevie's music too feminine and he has said her music never sounded all that good in concert. He has lots of negative things to say. I don't think that has much to do with his feelings.
For the first time ever I have read one of your posts and said, "huh?" I never read anywhere of Lindsey saying any of these things, ever. Especially the part about her songs not sounding good in concert. Do you have a source to back up these claims?
Old 01-09-2013, 10:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Ironically, I think John was the first one to say he was sad Lindsey was gone.
I don't remember that. If anything, when Lindsey WAS gone, John seemed relieved to not have somebody telling him how to play his parts. To be fair, Lindsey has admitted that he didn't really appreciate John's playing until years after he left the band.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-09-2013, 10:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
For the first time ever I have read one of your posts and said, "huh?" I never read anywhere of Lindsey saying any of these things, ever. Especially the part about her songs not sounding good in concert. Do you have a source to back up these claims?
I have definitely heard the making Stevie's songs feminine and the accelerating his break-up with Stevie before. The latter having been said in his press for SWS I believe.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHearted View Post
I have definitely heard the making Stevie's songs feminine and the accelerating his break-up with Stevie before. The latter having been said in his press for SWS I believe.
He also said it in the Mac tour press.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
I remember the comments about making the music sound feminine and her songs not sounding that good in concert, but I'll never be able to find the original source (much like that Billboard article about Chris selling her publishing).
Old 01-09-2013, 11:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
I don't remember that. If anything, when Lindsey WAS gone, John seemed relieved to not have somebody telling him how to play his parts. To be fair, Lindsey has admitted that he didn't really appreciate John's playing until years after he left the band.
The very first press conference they had following Lindsey's departure John said that there was "definite sadness" in Lindsey leaving. The others were saying that Lindsey didn't want to tour and that it was a relief for him to be gone, since he had been unhappy, but the way it was phrased they asked them something like how do you feel about Lindsey leaving, anger? Sadness?
John said, "definite sadness." The others didn't.

Michele
Old 01-09-2013, 11:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
He also said it in the Mac tour press.
He also said that Christine sped up his and Stevie's break up in the press for Say You Will.

Michele
Old 01-09-2013, 11:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInNV View Post
(much like that Billboard article about Chris selling her publishing).
Yeah Viv. First things first. Go through your things and find me that article.

Michele
Old 01-10-2013, 12:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

No, I can’t find that comment about Christine’s songs on stage right now, but I’ll find it. But he basically said that live, her songs weren’t showstoppers anyway [not that they weren’t good songs, he was talking about the stage], so her absence wouldn’t be felt as much as people thought.

Lindsey said in Guitar World Acoustic:
http://www.fleetwoodmac-uk.com/articles/FMart111.html

That's true! I think Mick would say that his playing here is probably the best he's ever done. To some degree, Stevie, left to her own devices - not necessarily on her solo albums, but in the context of Fleetwood Mac - is, if not a more masculine presence, then certainly a more aggressive presence than when she's tempered by what Christine would bring to her songs.

This is from the August 18, 1987 press conference the band did. The question was, “What are your feelings about Lindsey leaving?

Christine: I would say with a lot of understanding and certainly a little sadness, you know.

John: Yes, definitely sadness.

Christine: After twelve years of being with somebody it’s never easy. It’s like a sort of divorce, you know. I’m speaking for myself, I have all the musical respect in the world for Lindsey and we’ve never been tight friends, ut we’ve always had a lot of respect for one another. And I would like to think that at some point in the future that I could do something with him again. I don’t know when, but . . .

[So looking for Lindsey's quote, I found other interesting things]

Lindsey on Howard in 2003: "Howard has his formulas and he's very much in control of certain aspects of the business side. He's not really concerned with anything creative, he's concerned with getting this project up and running and making Stevie the money that he feels he wants to make her."

John on Lindsey: Lindsey still pulls stuff out of the hat; he's an amazing guitar player, but he never gets recognized for that. And even though he's the band's producer, he hides his voice a bit. Mick and I are always mentioning with timid little voices, 'We can't really hear your vocals, Lindsey.'

November 2003 interview during the SYW tour, Stevie: "There's more psychic space. We can face off and really connect. We're able to be warm and loving and friendly and fun. There's a sweetness to it. Lindsey and I are really enjoying it? [She casts a sideways glance] Aren't we?"

Lindsey: Yes, we are."
Article discusses the fact that What Has Rock and Roll Ever Done for You almost went on Tango. "Stevie has no rancor about the song's total elimination, asserting with a sigh that FM usually prefers her 'stranger, more demented rock and roll.'"

Same article, Chris says of When I See You Again: "That was a little too down and depressing." So, it's position on the album was shifted. "To fill the gap, Christine took an existing instrumental track of Lindsey's and wrote 'You and I, Part II' a song that echoes her new beginning with Eddy quintela. 'There's a helpful, optimistic vibe to the song, of a new tomorrow,' she believes pointedly adding, "it's pop, but it's mature."

Billy Burnette: "five years ago, when I met Mick Fleetwood in the audience of a Dick Clark TV special, I wouldn't have guessed it'd lead to all this. The funny thing is, there was a band I was forming a few years back called the Cholos that Lindsey was seriously thinking of joining as an outside thing! Now that I've dealt with all these surprises, I want to provide what's expected of me."

Mick on Lindsey: "He wanted out before it sucked him in, into a world he has no real respect for. We all had a nice life, including him. But he's happy if he has a pair of jeans, a pair of sneakers, as long as his car works. Therefore, he didn't have the distractions. I enjoyed the life, Stevie enjoyed the life, Christine enjoyed the life. John was a bit more like Lindsey, not quite so lunatic. We had a ball until it got too much for anybody to handle."

Lindsey:
“I talked to Don Henley one time about the Eagles, and it seemed like there was so little love or idealism left in that group of people and perhaps that’s more the norm for people our age. But we seem to be slightly more arrested, and I think there’s some potential for some good stuff because of that.”
Old 01-10-2013, 03:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Look Viv, I have stayed up all night and I think you should buy me something.

Cleveland Plain Dealer (05/11/2003), Fleetwood Mac looking forward
http://www.fleetwoodmac.net/bla/inde...hp?id=439&c=18

Quote:
"As great as her songs were on recordings, they were not, generally speaking, the strongest things live," Buckingham said. "As much as I respect Christine and her legacy, this is very much in the tradition of Fleetwood Mac remaking itself once again, in a slightly smaller way this time."
I also found an australian 2004 interview where he said:

"We could play her songs but there's no reason. We have a much ballsier show going on now and we're playing better than ever."

Christine said, "I'm often in touch with Mick and occasionally speak to Stevie, but not so much Lindsey and John. I still have a tender affection for all of them, but they were slightly miffed at my leaving. When they played here last years I saw them at Earl's Court. They were bloody great. For the first time in my life, I was able to see Fleetwood Mac as others saw us. I went backstage to see Stevie and she said, 'Oh, Chris I am so knackered!' [I think Chris must be paraphrasing here]. Music is her life and she's still brilliant at what she does, but I don't have the slightest twinge of envy."

So, if she talked to Mick and Stevie back then -- and Cory said that Stevie and Christine were like schoolgirls together at Earl's court, who were the ones who were miffed at her leaving? I'd say it was John and Lindsey back then. John did say in the SYW program that he wouldn't want Christine back if she was going to be there and unhappy like she was before.

Christine also said something that I'd forgotten. She said she loved Jerry Seinfeld and had seen most of the episodes many times and he was her favorite comedian. She said she also watched Curb Your Enthusiasm which was dryer, but she enjoyed it, once she knew how it worked. She is a girl after my own heart.

Elle, Lindsey said that Say Goodbye was Asnavour meets Leo Kottke.

Michele
Old 01-10-2013, 07:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHearted View Post
Not truly intimacy, and nothing new, but sweet none the less.

Awww....
Old 01-10-2013, 07:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Old 01-10-2013, 08:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

^^ Love it! If I had free time right now I'd join in the pic fest.

Michele - Those articles are really interesting. Especially Mick saying how Lindsey would be happy with a pair of jeans, his car working, etc. It makes me think of the DR doc - I never really liked that conversation he had about Lindsey, saying that because he'd never have to worry about living in a one bedroom house, etc. (the whole double album argument) - I just found those two comments very different. I know they all have their moments, but there was something about how that was a conversation without Lindsey, Mick and I can't remember who the other guy was, sort of making fun of Linds, I don't like to see