Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-06-2014, 02:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Lindsey Buckingham "Talks Music" 9:30 pm

Lindsey Buckingham Talks Music, Studio, 9.30pm

Sydney Morning Herald

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/...405-365iu.html

Talks Music is like a British version of Inside the Actors Studio, but with musos instead of thespians. Host Malcolm Gerrie brings all the enthusiasm (but none of the unction) that James Lipton brings to ITAS, and the music-student audience sits enraptured and gets to ask questions at the end. Tonight's instalment is fascinating, as Lindsey Buckingham of Fleetwood Mac reflects on his life and career. And he brings a guitar with him - all the better to show the finer points of his writing and playing styles. Musical interludes include an instrumental from early album Buckingham Nicks, and a stunning blast of Big Love.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/...#ixzz2y8a0HcIA
Old 04-06-2014, 02:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
and a stunning blast of Big Love.
This is the problem, Elle. If it was only in concert, I could take it. But as it is...

Michele
Old 04-06-2014, 08:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I understand why he keeps pulling out "Big Love" for interviews and appearances, especially since it's not like he has new music to promote. It's like when you find an outfit you look absolutely gorgeous in, you want to wear it to every special event you attend, lol. Lindsey knows "Big Love" will knock 'em dead, so it's his "go-to" piece. I agree that it gets tiresome for those of us who follow him closely, but for the casual listener, it's a tried-and-true way to give them a taste of the awesomeness that is Lindsey Buckingham.

Old 04-07-2014, 04:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
I agree that it gets tiresome for those of us who follow him closely, but for the casual listener, it's a tried-and-true way to give them a taste of the awesomeness that is Lindsey Buckingham.
Spot on Nancy. I do understand it too. Let's be fair, if I try to impress new friends with Lindsey's music, I return to this version of Big love too. Everybody knows the original and is blown away by this interpretation. It just shows him and his muse in three minutes.

Old 04-20-2014, 08:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
This is the problem, Elle. If it was only in concert, I could take it. But as it is...

Michele
next time you feel the need to complain about Big Love, please read what they said below, Michele (and not just you but also all others calling for Big Love to cease and desist, or to return back to it's 80s full-band album version should re-read this too):

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
I understand why he keeps pulling out "Big Love" for interviews and appearances, especially since it's not like he has new music to promote. It's like when you find an outfit you look absolutely gorgeous in, you want to wear it to every special event you attend, lol. Lindsey knows "Big Love" will knock 'em dead, so it's his "go-to" piece. I agree that it gets tiresome for those of us who follow him closely, but for the casual listener, it's a tried-and-true way to give them a taste of the awesomeness that is Lindsey Buckingham.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
Spot on Nancy. I do understand it too. Let's be fair, if I try to impress new friends with Lindsey's music, I return to this version of Big love too. Everybody knows the original and is blown away by this interpretation. It just shows him and his muse in three minutes.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 04-20-2014, 09:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I love acoustic Big Love, but I think he's got plenty of other songs in that acoustic Big Love style at this point that he could pull out one of them for a change. I know it was a hit back in the day, but I don't think it's been as well remembered as most of their others so I don't really think the "everyone knows it" argument holds all that much weight, IMO. And even if the concern is that it needs to be a song at least some people recognize: Lindsey could take a different song and give it the same treatment. It'd require some time and effort, yeah, but it'd probably be nice for him to start playing something different after 20 years of this one getting so much publicity...
Old 04-20-2014, 10:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHearted View Post
I love acoustic Big Love, but I think he's got plenty of other songs in that acoustic Big Love style at this point that he could pull out one of them for a change. I know it was a hit back in the day, but I don't think it's been as well remembered as most of their others so I don't really think the "everyone knows it" argument holds all that much weight, IMO. And even if the concern is that it needs to be a song at least some people recognize: Lindsey could take a different song and give it the same treatment. It'd require some time and effort, yeah, but it'd probably be nice for him to start playing something different after 20 years of this one getting so much publicity...
see "everyone knows it" (the original version) part of the argument is the only one that i don't really care for, and i don't think is a concern, at all. plus at the FM shows in Europe, unlike in the US, it seems that everyone does in fact know the acoustic version. but whether someone knows the song or hears it for the first time is not the important part.

the important part of Nancy's and Gerald's posts is that this song never fails to blow everyone away. even or especially if they never ever heard of Lindsey Buckingham and/or Big Love before. it best represents what he can do.

and, i think he tried to reproduce or give big love treatment with his other songs, most notable with the whole album being treated acoustically (UTS), but he could never quite reach the complete effect that the acoustic Big Love has. like Nancy said - if you need to impress someone, you usually have something that you know is tried and true and will work every single time. Big Love is that for Lindsey. and like Gerald said, it's awesomeness that is LB condensed in 3 minutes.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 04-20-2014, 10:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Like Michele, I am very tired of this version of BL but I suppose it's Lindsey's way of not feeling pressured to perform GYOW for the billionth time.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
next time you feel the need to complain about Big Love, please read what they said below, Michele (and not just you but also all others calling for Big Love to cease and desist, or to return back to it's 80s full-band album version should re-read this too):
If he is going to continue playing it that way in concert, then he should stop pulling it out for every radio show and high school assembly he does, to boot. When he's making public appearances bore those people with Time Precious Time. But don't play Big Love for eons -- I first saw it before The Dance -- on stage and then play it every chance you get off stage as well.

It's lazy. It's been 20 years now, and there are other songs he could adapt to garner the same awestruck response, if he'd just work on them. For my money, Tango is one of them.

Michele
Old 04-21-2014, 11:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Also Elle, you know that post was directed at you after you said that we didn't need to hear IKINW again. IKINW is extremely rare compared to Big Love. It's like an extinct animal species.

Michele
Old 04-21-2014, 02:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

AND I want to hear IKINW again. And again. And again.

Old 04-21-2014, 04:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Also Elle, you know that post was directed at you after you said that we didn't need to hear IKINW again. IKINW is extremely rare compared to Big Love. It's like an extinct animal species.

Michele
Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
AND I want to hear IKINW again. And again. And again.
well, here is the deal my dear friends (and you know this much better than me even if you choose to ignore it for the purpose of the discussion):

LB will have 8 songs the most in FM setlist this year. you know he will definitely do (whether you or i or other *fans* want to hear every single one of these or not):
big love
gyow
tusk
shn
ngba
isa
new song?

so that's 7. which means he has a choice of one song that he will pull out as a "deep cut". if your choice for that ONE song is IKINW then ok. because that is what you are saying.

if i had to choose between IKINW or WMYTYTO or WATL or the Ledge - my choice would definitely be one of those other 3. if it's IKINW or Tango or Come, i would have to think. if it's IKINW or NTF, probably i would want to hear IKINW. if the choice is IKINW or BTLH, my choice would be BTLH.

Old 04-21-2014, 05:38 PM
Senior Ledgie

I'm new here and only recently re-discovered my Fleetwood Mac love from years ago, so I'm not as overexposed to the solo Big Love arrangement as others here. But I definitely understand the desire to hear new arrangements of other songs - it's variety! I've closely followed other artists in the past and it gets disappointing hearing the same rendition of the same song time after time, years after years, after putting in the time and effort to tune in and hear all of these special appearances. I remember being like "Ugh, really? THIS again? Why am I up taping this at 1am for this exact same song?!" I can definitely relate to that frustration. (Of course they're playing for the broader audience and not "to me".. but... You have decades of music to choose from and you keep playing the same track over and over? It's just boring!)

I love Big Love and the solo version is extremely impressive... but if he does do it every performance, it is bound to get old. I do understand why he chooses to do it (it really is a monster of 3ish minutes and bound to impress). Heck, it still blows me away since I'm still kinda new to that arrangement myself . But I wouldn't want to hear it on everything.

I completely agree with wanting to hear an acoustic version of Tango In The Night!

(Does he ever do Caroline?)
Old 04-21-2014, 06:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by luminol View Post
I remember being like "Ugh, really? THIS again? Why am I up taping this at 1am for this exact same song?!" I can definitely relate to that frustration.
don't know whether he ever performed Caroline, i'm sure someone will know?

re Big Love, he usually does it at various Q&As, as one of the 3 or so songs he performs in between the interview parts.

but he doesn't do it on late night tv appearances, like the ones you are thinking of. when he was promoting his last solo album, SWS, he was on several either daytime or late night shows and he did either acoustic SWS, or IOOT, or EOT, and from what i remember he also considered SAC. during interviews, he did RAB, BL, and IAW. at that skynews interview he did acoustic the Chain, Big Love, and i can't remember what was the 3rd song. so yes, he usually does Big love as one of the songs he performs, but it's not the only song he ever does, and when he's promoting new albums he performs new songs, and various ones on different shows.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
don't know whether he ever performed Caroline, i'm sure someone will know?

re Big Love, he usually does it at various Q&As, as one of the 3 or so songs he performs in between the interview parts.

but he doesn't do it on late night tv appearances, like the ones you are thinking of. when he was promoting his last solo album, SWS, he was on several either daytime or late night shows and he did either acoustic SWS, or IOOT, or EOT, and from what i remember he also considered SAC. during interviews, he did RAB, BL, and IAW. at that skynews interview he did acoustic the Chain, Big Love, and i can't remember what was the 3rd song. so yes, he usually does Big love as one of the songs he performs, but it's not the only song he ever does, and when he's promoting new albums he performs new songs, and various ones on different shows.
He did Big Love on SNL oh and him and Stevie did it on Letterman I think?
Just a dream, just a dream.

Last edited by HelloMonster; 04-21-2014 at 07:17 PM..