Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-03-2007, 03:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default She Smiled Sweetly

Is that Stevie singing on the chorus or is it Lindsey-sounding-like-Stevie?
Old 12-03-2007, 03:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It's just Lindsey. Your question reminded me of that interview where Stevie said she asked Lindsey if that was Christine on an SYW track or just Lindsey pretending to be Christine.

Michele
Old 12-03-2007, 03:39 PM
Senior Ledgie

Personally, I don't hear stevie's presence on this song. To me, it sounds like all Lindsey.

I have a question for you in return. I'm sure someone has mentioned this before, but I'm in the dark on this. Only yesterday when i was listening in headphones, could I hear chris singing background vocal on steal your heart away, the say you will version. To be more specific, the background sounds present at and around 1:52 and 2:39. Pitch perfect, it sounds copiously like Mcvie to me! If that's Lindsey, he's got me fooled! I then went back and listened to the gift of screws version and more pointedly heard Chris' tone. Could it be one of the songs that Lindsey worked on with Mick, John and Chris that lead to The Dance reunion in 1997 and therefore it's possible that Chris is singing on it? I'm adding a link to the gift of screws version because I think it's easier to hear chris. On this version I hear her blissful tune most prominately at 1:37 and 1:53-1:54. 3:29-3:30 etc. Anyone else hear her or am I pulling a stevie and looking to find her to desperately.
Old 12-03-2007, 03:45 PM
Senior Ledgie

Michelej,

It took me so long to write my post that I missed what you had written and didn't see it before I posted. Is that the situation you were referring to?

Gift of Screws Version of Steal Your Heart Away:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/pdr75n
Old 12-03-2007, 04:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy View Post
Lindsey-sounding-like-Stevie?
That's it. Stevie once talked about how if you speed up Lindsey's voice, it sounds like hers, and if you slow down her voice, it sounds like Lindsey.

She said to try it at home, it's "spooky".
Old 12-03-2007, 04:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

You know, when Stevie made that comment, she did not specify which song she was talking about, so I don't know positively. Fleetwood Mac has collectively decided it's none of our business and have worked diligently to keep any informative data out of their SYW liner notes.

We know Christine worked on GOS and that they called and asked if they could use her previously recorded stuff on the SYW tracks and she said sure. But what stuff? That's the question.

I would assume that Chris contributes keyboards and vocals to SYHA and BTLH, but apparently if any member of the band discusses the matter in any but the vaguest of terms, much less clarifies the point publicly, one way or another, they face flogging in Sudan . . . or something.

But I have also talked about straining to hear Christine's voice since she has left the band. I think we all read Henry James The American in high school. In the end, Claire de Cintre, the woman Christopher loved, has entered a cloistered convent and will never show her face outside of the convent walls again. However, the nuns sing in a choir. They are never seen, but outsiders can stand outside of the convent gates and listen to them. Christopher goes there and strains to hear her voice among the other singers, because that's all he has left of her. That's what I've been doing with Christine over the last 10 years.

Michele

Last edited by michelej1; 12-03-2007 at 04:43 PM..
Old 12-03-2007, 04:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yes, Stevemeister noted of Lindsey's SYW work:

"Lindsey had done a really beautiful job and he had managed to sing just enough like me that I could really see where the song was going because he and I sing so much alike that if you speed our voices up or slow them down...if you slow my voice down I sound like Lindsey and if you speed Lindsey's voice up he sounds like me. It's creepy, it's totally creepy. And you can do it yourself at home...it's totally creepy."
Old 12-03-2007, 05:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
You know, when Stevie made that comment, she did not specify which song she was talking about, so I don't know positively. Fleetwood Mac has collectively decided it's none of our business and have worked diligently to keep any informative data out of their SYW liner notes.

We know Christine worked on GOS and that they called and asked if they could use her previously recorded stuff on the SYW tracks and she said sure. But what stuff? That's the question.
Around the time 'Say You Will' was released, John Run posted a detailed credits list, from a session sheet that I believe was circulated around to Warner Bros execs (or something like that -- the memory is foggy after four years).

Here's the breakdown of what Lindsey, Stevie, and John played outside of their main contributions, and what exactly the "additional musicians" played and/or sang on....

Lindsey Buckingham: Korg Triton 7, Yamaha Motif 8 keyboards -
What's the World Coming To, Murrow, Thrown Down, Running Through The Garden, Silver Girl, Bleed to Love Her, Everybody Finds Out, Say Goodbye and Goodbye Baby.

Stevie Nicks: additional keyboards - Running Through The Garden and Silver Girl

John McVie: "black keys" - Illume and Everybody Finds Out

Additional Musicians:

Sheryl Crow: Hammond organ & backing vocals on Say You Will; backing vocals on Silver Girl

Jamie Muhbarec: Hammond organ on Come

Christine McVie: piano & backing vocals on Steal Your Heart Away; backing vocals on Bleed To Love Her

Dave Palmer: piano on Steal Your Heart Away

John Pierce: additional bass on Steal Your Heart Away

John Shanks: keyboards on What's The World Coming To and Peacekeeper

Last edited by Johnny Stew; 12-03-2007 at 05:32 PM..
Old 12-03-2007, 07:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

That's great top secret information. I'd love to have seen it on the liner notes, because the top questions you get regarding that album are about:
(1) Christine's contribution, and (2) who is playing keyboards on what, especially EFO.

Michele
Old 12-03-2007, 08:25 PM
Senior Ledgie

[QUOTE=Johnny Stew;733021]
Additional Musicians:

Christine McVie: piano & backing vocals on Steal Your Heart Away; backing vocals on Bleed To Love Her

I thought so, thank you for that confirmation and the additional info.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I remember right after The Dance was released, I got a demo of "Steal Your Heart Away", when we thought that Gift of Screws was still going to happen. I remember knowing then that Christine was on vocals, though I can't remember if I just heard her or if it was actually said that Christine was on the demo. Is she really not credited in the liners for Say You Will (don't have my liners handy)?
Old 12-03-2007, 10:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucklind17 View Post
I remember right after The Dance was released, I got a demo of "Steal Your Heart Away", when we thought that Gift of Screws was still going to happen. I remember knowing then that Christine was on vocals, though I can't remember if I just heard her or if it was actually said that Christine was on the demo. Is she really not credited in the liners for Say You Will (don't have my liners handy)?
She is listed as an "additional performer" on SYW, a description so broad as to encompass 1001 different things she might have done to contribute to the album. Some of them obscene.

Michele
Old 12-04-2007, 12:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

If those who went to a 1997 concert and got the Best Buy compilation disc would have an early version of "Steal Your Heart Away" that sounds quite a bit different than BOTH the so called Gift Of Screws version or the Say You Will version. So, it is VERY apparent that "Steal Your Heart Away" was being worked on during Lindsey's recording sessions that led up to The Dance reunion show(s).

Christine's vocals are much more prominent on that Best Buy album version.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post

Christine's vocals are much more prominent on that Best Buy album version.

Ahhhh. And it's a very likely story that that is the one I ended up with! Case solved.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Christine played acoustic piano & Alesis synth on a number of tracks off the old solo album, including one song co-written & produced by Glen Ballard called "Jubilee."

moviekinks.blogspot.com