User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-04-2011, 01:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
But why would it be a secret now? I think she would just say, "Oh, that was about Mick," in much the same way as "If You Ever Did Believe" is admittedly about him.

May have been a clandestine secret then, but by now it's like, "have fun tell the world." I think the secret is about someone she still has not been revealed to have been linked with back then.

Michele
There's no telling at exactly which point those involved (Mick's wife at the time, Lindsey) can handle knolwedge of this relationship. I mean, if we're talking real early it would fit into my theory that Mick asked them to join with the intention of seducing Stevie. I D K might be too much for Lindsey's ego to take--or Stevie's perception of her hold on his heart (one of my best friends called her statements about Lindsey's regrets "deluded").

...or just to sustain the mystery. Yes, it could have been a LOT of guys (folks?) but I feel Mick. Does he play drums on it? If he does, I'm sold.

Quote:
But Mick has said that there was always something between him and Stevie, from the time they met and even Lindsey hazily saw it, between tokes.

So, that covert and budding attraction probably did contribute to them being on the cover together.Cover's not iconic to me. I think it's stupid.

I would never let that thing see the light of day anywhere in my home. I hide it.

Michele
TOTALLY agree. That's a less vulgar way of saying what I had meant, based on the information we definitively do have.

I think you have to admit that the album cover is iconic even if it's stupid, like the Michael Jackson Thriller video (which is a dank uninspired affair, compared to those of his sister's videos and his own videos from the Bad album onward).

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.

Last edited by TrueFaith77; 04-04-2011 at 02:02 PM..
Old 04-04-2011, 02:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
But Mick has said that there was always something between him and Stevie, from the time they met and even Lindsey hazily saw it, between tokes.

So, that covert and budding attraction probably did contribute to them being on the cover together.

Cover's not iconic to me. I think it's stupid. I would never let that thing see the light of day anywhere in my home. I hide it.

Michele
No an iconic cover? What!? Ive never heard anyone say that!!!
Old 04-04-2011, 02:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
I think you have to admit that the album cover is iconic even if it's stupid, like the Michael Jackson Thriller video (which is a dank uninspired affair, compared to those of his sister's videos and his own videos from the Bad album onward).
Yes, objectively iconic. Part of music history. But from my own perspective, it means nothing. I think more about the Tusk dog than I do of that cover.

As for Thriller, the "story" may be trite, but I think the dance segments condensed are as solid as Beat It, Bad, etc., even counting the Frankenstein moves.

Michele
Old 04-04-2011, 02:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yes, objectively iconic. Part of music history. But from my own perspective, it means nothing. I think more about the Tusk dog than I do of that cover.

As for Thriller, the "story" may be trite, but I think the dance segments condensed are as solid as Beat It, Bad, etc., even counting the Frankenstein moves.

Michele

Yes, I agree with you about Thriller's dance moves but I was referring to it as a work of video art--just as great dancing poorly shot (it's dank) & edited is still poorly shot, edited dancing. Wouldn't you rather watch Bergman's The Magic Flute than a 3 camera set up of The Magic Flute on PBS--even with the same cast? Though either way, at some level, it's STILL Mozart.

As for the album cover, I do agree. For some reason it feels unspectacular to me. I feel that the back cover "motion picture" is far more interesting/expressive. Meanwhile, the Tusk cover is WAY more beautiful and ponderable. I love the flakes of color and texture in the cover surrounding that haunting dog photo. It makes palpable, tactile some of the ideas and feelings expressed in the album in ways that the Rumours album doesn't quite.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
As for the album cover, I do agree. For some reason it feels unspectacular to me. I feel that the back cover "motion picture" is far more interesting/expressive. Meanwhile, the Tusk cover is WAY more beautiful and ponderable. I love the flakes of color and texture in the cover surrounding that haunting dog photo. It makes palpable, tactile some of the ideas and feelings expressed in the album in ways that the Rumours album doesn't quite.
Even though the band was only 10 years old at the time, the album contained nice self-referential touches, which I would have appreciated had I been a long time fan.

Artistically though, it does seem to lack the complexity of even the FM covers that preceded it and feels amateurish. Regarding the ideas you mentioned, a couple of years earlier, perhaps if they were releasing Landslide as a single and needed a picture for it, then I think the Rumours cover might have been quite evocative in that smaller context.

Michele
Old 04-04-2011, 06:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
But why would it be a secret now? I think she would just say, "Oh, that was about Mick," in much the same way as "If You Ever Did Believe" is admittedly about him.

May have been a clandestine secret then, but by now it's like, "have fun tell the world." I think the secret is about someone she still has not been revealed to have been linked with back then.

Michele
Then the secret love is Christine
Old 04-04-2011, 10:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
My guess is because they're the most dramatic personalities in the band, and it was a drama filled album. Mick and Stevie also wore the most flamboyant clothing. Their height difference is also equally dramatic. Stevie wasn't a road tested or well known band member in '75 for her to warrant an album cover... but she was a rising star by '77. My guess is the powers at be realized her unique sex appeal and decided it'd be smart to put her on the album cover. Putting Mick and Stevie on the cover also cemented the marriage of new and old Fleetwood Mac. So it was probably a combination of several things which got Mick and Stevie on the cover of Rumours.
All possible, Louie. But I kinda think that the cover was somebody's vague idea -- maybe somebody's dream, like the cover of Bella Donna. Herb Worthington himself may have thought it all up on his own. We should Ask Stevie!

Somebody once told me that if you look at silhouette of Mick & Stevie, you see a shape resembling fallopian tubes. Think of what that might mean.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 04-05-2011, 02:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

For all we know they were the only two members still speaking to each other & willing to pose on that particular day. (I imagine even Stevie & Chris had their spats.)

- Jake
Old 04-05-2011, 02:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I D K might be too much for Lindsey's ego to take--or Stevie's perception of her hold on his heart (one of my best friends called her statements about Lindsey's regrets "deluded").
The only problem with your friend's theory is the dozens of statements from Lindsey Buckingham over the years about how devastated he was when Stevie left him, how it took him at least a decade to even begin to get closure, and how her spectre wrecked his subsequent relationships.

Apart from that, yes, I'm sure she's deluded.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellyman10 View Post
The only problem with your friend's theory is the dozens of statements from Lindsey Buckingham over the years about how devastated he was when Stevie left him, how it took him at least a decade to even begin to get closure, and how her spectre wrecked his subsequent relationships.

10 yrs!?!?! Damn Stevie!
Old 04-05-2011, 09:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Well this has got me thinking......

So jellyman10 says it took like a decade for lindsey to get over stevie. At first i was like "wtf!? Damn she was the bomb lol" but actually i can see how it could take a toll on him, or anyone in a relationship for that matter. I'll explain:

You have someone that totally believes in you and makes huge sacrafices, not only for your dreams together, but for you so you can become absolutely amazing.....which he did become. The woman cooks, cleans, washes your clothes, sexes u.....totally adores you. U guys make it, u celebrate, u love eachother and then here come the vulchers! Now even tho she loves you and she knows u love her, she takes a look around and realizes that shes given u a lot and needs to break away.

Now u go off and deal with these other heffas who dont compare. You have to see her everyday. Shes gorgeous! And all these guys are flocking to her and shes entertaining it! Your ego is DONE!

I can see how that can cast a dark cloud over him! We've all been thru it! We've either played the saint or the fool!
Old 04-05-2011, 09:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Oh he's crazy too, though!

I think my friend's point was that a family/kids really does change a person.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I think my friend's point was that a family/kids really does change a person.
No question about that. I think Stevie is the one who has regrets about leaving him, because of how he's turned out. And while I can understand her not wishing to dwell on what it was that drove her away, I sometimes wonder if it would help her to move on if she actually did remember better how badly he treated her?

(Just more of my presumptuous armchair psychology about someone I've never met and who doesn't know I'm alive.)
Old 04-05-2011, 11:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumidesigns View Post
Now u go off and deal with these other heffas who dont compare.
Best description ever of Carol Ann Harris.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Best description ever of Carol Ann Harris.
*curtsey* lol