User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-18-2009, 07:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kencaillat View Post
Flop album!? Have you hear tusk? Do you know how many albums it sold, double albums??
KC
"Flop" in comparison to the mega-selling Rumours, hence the "" marks. I don't consider it a flop at all (double platinum for a double album, right?) but Lindsey has said it was considered a commercial disappointment after selling 16million for Rumours.

It's easily my favourite Mac album so I'd love to see it get more attention but it does seem to get somewhat forgotten about sometimes. I'll be looking forward to any of your books, especially the Tusk one.

Lindsey is often touted as the "Architect of the Fleetwood Mac sound" and I was wondering if that was true of Rumours or if Tusk was where he became more prominent. When it came to arrangements of songs was Lindsey the one with most of the ideas and vision for how it should sound or was each band member heavily involved in arranging their own and other songwriters' songs? I imagine Christine had a pretty good idea about her songs, even if Stevie allowed Lindsey to take her songs off and work on them. Did you and Richard Dashut help much with arrangements or were you both there for the more technical points of the production and recording? Was there much head butting between, say, Lindsey and John over how a particular part should be played? I noticed that on the Rumours 2 disc release a few years ago the demo of Second Hand News has a totally different bass line to the final version. Who would have made the decision as to which bass line worked best to go on the album?

Sorry, that's lots of questions.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:39 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Horrible fights within each couple, not Mick, he was along, and very sad. but remember they had to keep it together to make this album happen, their career depended on it. I was so supprised at what i had gotten myself into!
I go into great detail in the book and get the bands point of view too.
Thanks
KC
Thank you very much for your reply. I cannot wait for this book!
Old 06-18-2009, 11:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Ken, you appear to work very well with Christine. After all, she invited you to help her out on her most recent solo album in 2004. Were you two particularly close in a professional context during the recording of Rumours? What was she like to work with? I've heard she can be quite generous in laying down foundations for other musicians to build upon. Do you recall specific example of this?
Old 06-18-2009, 01:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Flop album!? Have you hear tusk? Do you know how many albums it sold, double albums??
KC
Amen. School these kids Ken.
Old 06-18-2009, 02:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Heart

Hi Ken,

I know I had privately e-mailed you regarding the pictures and Herbert Worthington, but I wanted to come on and say "Thank you" for taking the time to contact the Ledge for this project! I'm very excited about your book, and can't wait to get it, once it comes out! Thanks SO much again!

Warm regards,

Arlene

There is magic all around you everytime you walk in the room.....
Old 06-18-2009, 02:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile

Quote:
I thought you'd ask that, They mostly stayed shorter because, the album was balanced nicely and played well (good pacing). What you guys don't realize that nearly every song starts off longer than it ends up being. And usually we speed them up slightly from their original tempo. You can tell those because if you play your guitar or piano along with them, it won't be in tune. Stevie's songs we're usually all over 6 minutes. Yikes!!
Ah yes, though unrelated, I noticed this on a remastered version of a Camel album (funnily enough titled "Mirage") where they included the original speed version of "Lady Fantasy" as a bonus track as well as the faster "finished" version.

I used to notice slight speed differences in some turntables I used to have too (one would play a little faster on 33 than it would on 33 on another, first noticed this listening to songs on the radio after getting an album so this does add up now). Wish I could find an mp3 editor that works with Vista so I can play with the speeds of the FM tracks some more!

John
Old 06-18-2009, 07:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Dark in my flaming staircase, being totally unfamiliar with the artist or her music

An odd question:

Is the photo on the Rumours cover flipped horizontally? All of the outtakes I've seen, and I've seen dozens have Mick on the right and Stevie on the left. It's not really a "major" query, but it's something that's bothered me for years.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn View Post
Amen. School these kids Ken.
Yeah, I wasn't being sarcastic at all.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hi Ken: First of all thanks for thinking of us here at The Ledge....its nice to know that 'us' as fans do matter. Sometimes , sadly, it (meaning we as fans) seem to get 'lost' in the shuffle or so it seems really. I also look forward to your book & I do also hope you'd do a book for Tusk as well. I really love the Tusk LP/cd....I think I may like it a little bit more than Rumours. Anyway: lets see as far as questions go.....

1/Why was the one line cut from 'Songbird' of Christines song (...I see you smile...) personally, I love that little extra line in the song. Even though the song is beautiful as it is but I wish that would be included in the 'new' issue of Rumours but that is IMO anyway.

2/With Stevie's Silver Springs: why has the offical/or extended full 7 minute version (if it really is 7 minutes?) offically released? I know we have the re-issue versions etc but I'm speaking of the offical version culled from the edited version that was on the back of GYOW? Will that full version ever 'see' the true light of day? Cause I'd love to hear it all.

3/Is there any talk of 'live' versions of songs from the Rumours tour or a full 'live' dvd to be released. Personally, I'd love it ....other than the 'new' Rumours stuff to be released later this yr? (A Tusk one would be nice also!!)

4/I'd love to see more rare outtake pictures of the band during Rumours too....LP cover outtakes...as well as full band outtakes...and some great 'live' pictures would be nice color pictures too....not just b/w pictures....

5/I also would love to know what other songs (again besides the one's released on the Rumours re-issue cd) were considered for the Rumours lp??

If I think of other questions I'll put them in here. Also: as another question unrelated to Rumours. Do you know if re-issue's will ever be done on Mirage (which needs it badly) with an extra cd of outtakes etc/'Live' with extra live songs /extra cd/Tango --again with extra cd or Mask?? Speaking as a fan it would be great to have them ...esp Mirage....I love it but my cd is so 'low' sounding its hard to listen to it really. Plus as much as I loved the re-issue to Tusk...on disc 2 I'd wished more outtakes would've been included. But thats just my opinion.
Anyway, can't wait for your book....hope you do many more & I hope theres alot of great outtake pictures inside too. Thanks for your time. Sue
..."There is a legend passed down through the ages...down through the crystal visions...down through the crystal clear-water fountain...the charmed ones remain...They are mine (you remain...ooh)...."
Old 06-18-2009, 08:11 PM

First of all Ken, it's a honor... you're amazing...

I would like to know about the history of the Chain from your point of view. From what I understand Christine wrote some of the music (the title was different)... Lindsey had written more.... Stevie wrote the words... then Mick and John added???

it's all so confusing lol....
Old 06-18-2009, 10:12 PM
Junior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
Ken,

Are any of the proceeds from this book going to help preserve the Sausalito plant where the album was recorded? Mick has taken an interest in preserving the building:http://www.oursausalito.com/2009/05/...sausalito.html

A little off topic but my librarian side wants to know...you brought up something I had been thinking about previously when you mentioned looking for old photographs, etc. Is there or has there been any thought about preservation of Fleetwood Mac memorabilia? Creating an archive/museum beyond what exists in various Hard Rock Cafes and the Rock and Roll Museum in Cleveland? So much of music paraphernalia is ephemeral and subject to rapid deterioration. I hate to think of photographs, recordings, clothes, etc. sitting in various garages with no thought to their future existence. Maybe the Sausalito building could even house some of this stuff...sorry thinking out loud here. Thanks for asking for fan input!

Erin
2 Execellent ideas! Thank you, I will contact the plant. I will be visiting there at the end of this month and have already contacted them.
KC
Old 06-18-2009, 10:13 PM
Junior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
First of all Ken, it's a honor... you're amazing...

I would like to know about the history of the Chain from your point of view. From what I understand Christine wrote some of the music (the title was different)... Lindsey had written more.... Stevie wrote the words... then Mick and John added???

it's all so confusing lol....
You are a genius! But that's the beginning and ending of my book, the majesty of it all!
KC
Old 06-19-2009, 07:12 AM
Senior Ledgie

Some other bands, for example The Beatles, all chipped in a bit on each others' songs, even when not credited.

Did the same thing happen with FM? Did they all share ideas to some extent?

Did Christine, working temperamental 70s electric keyboards, have much in the way of equipment "issues"?
Old 06-19-2009, 04:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peestie View Post
Yeah, I wasn't being sarcastic at all.
I'm sorry Peestie. I was just playin'.
Old 06-19-2009, 06:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Here are some studio shots, but I'm not sure if some are actually from the White Album era, so.

And these are just awesome:

"Or maybe she's a witch, who transcends the boundaries of time and space, and traveled back to 1981, for her own reference."