Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-10-2011, 08:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Stevie or Christine Thread on Amazon.com

I was checking out Amazon and ran across this topic on their music forums.

Who do you like better Stevie or Christine?

http://www.amazon.com/tag/music/foru...ype=tagsDetail

Anybody here participate on the Amazon forums?

Last edited by MacShadowsBall; 04-10-2011 at 08:26 PM..
Old 04-10-2011, 08:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

cool. I laughed out loud at the comparison of Stevie to Gloria Swanson from sunset Boulevard.....people are entertaining

Mick

-Tom Waits
Old 04-10-2011, 09:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I LOVE this comment!(I'm assuming it's okay to repost it....somebody hit me if it's not)

Posted on Apr. 10, 2011 1:08 AM PDT
Robert Bykowski says:
Christine McVie. She just sounds more world-wise and seems to be more soulful. No matter how much I try to think otherwise, Stevie Nicks can't remind me of anything but a coked out-and-rehabbed, over-the-hill drama queen who's received too much blind, unworthy worship over the years and gotten very used to hearing it without criticism. When older, she'd probably be great in the Gloria Swanson role for a remake of 'Sunset Boulevard' (if she can handle acting, that is !).
Old 04-10-2011, 10:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Why do people keep bringing up this argument after all these decades? Not only is this vying of the ladies of the Mac tired, it's really pretty pointless. Stevie and Christine are apples to oranges. They never pitted themselves against one another, so why should everyone else?
Old 04-10-2011, 10:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
Why do people keep bringing up this argument after all these decades? Not only is this vying of the ladies of the Mac tired, it's really pretty pointless. Stevie and Christine are apples to oranges. They never pitted themselves against one another, so why should everyone else?
100% agree, why can't we just let them be the brilliant women that they are and stop with the comparing? To me, that goes for every member of Fleetwood Mac, past or present, they've all brought something wonderful and useful to Fleetwood Mac. We get it by now, Stevie is a coke-head goat, but thanks for the refresher.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Why do people keep bringing up this argument after all these decades? Not only is this vying of the ladies of the Mac tired, it's really pretty pointless. Stevie and Bekka are apples to oranges. They never pitted themselves against one another, so why should everyone else?
FIXED, for shats and giggles...

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 04-10-2011, 10:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
FIXED, for shats and giggles...
I so love the way you included 'shat' . I almost think the Stevie vs Bekka thing is fair game seeing how Bekka sang Stevie's songs onstage under the banner of Fleetwood Mac . In many ways, Bekka was Stevie's direct replacement. In comparison, Stevie didn't replace anyone when she joined Fleetwood Mac... in fact, she was at best a remora who rode Lindsey's coattails. Bekka was purposefully hired to fill a void, Stevie was not. But alas, this thread is not about Stevie vs Bekka.

To get back to topic, I just think the whole Stevie vs Christine thing is silly for many reasons. When it comes down to pure quality of work on a song by song basis, Christine blows Stevie out of the water and out of the universe. But when it comes to songs that connect to people on a deep emotional level, I'd say Stevie hits that target most cleanly. Christine creates atmosphere through playing the piano and keyboards, Stevie does so through her stage presence and persona. Stevie and Chris are just so wholly different. I appreciate them each equally for utterly different reasons. They're both rock legends on their own merits.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:13 PM
Heartboy
This message has been deleted by Heartboy.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:25 AM
Senior Ledgie

I hate how people feel the need to constantly compare the two. I guess it's understandable though - two women in a rock band, so people think one musst be better. I think it's human nature to compare like that. Meh.
Personally, I like Chris more. There's just something about her - her sense of humor, the fact that she's an amazing artist (not like musically, but fine arts - Kiln House, anyone?), her lyrics, her instrument playing, her smoky velvet voice, her bright eyes, her smile...yeah. I still love Stevie though. She's an entirely different person with an entirely different style (both musically and personally) and she's amazing in her own way.
I wonder if one of the reasons people tend to pit them against each other is because they never fought much on their own. They love each other to bits so maybe it's to make up for that. People love drama, and there wasn't too much of that between Stevie and Chris. They make up for it by creating a little one versus the other, which is better, which is more loved fight of their own.
Eh. I think I'm probably just being overanalytical.
I don't know. Bottom line - it annoys me that people keep comparing them.
They're two different people.

Last edited by kick.inside; 04-11-2011 at 01:36 AM..
Old 04-11-2011, 08:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

People just need something to argue about...Stevie or Chris? Dave or Sammy? Peter or Phil? Paul or John? I think it's human nature

Mick

-Tom Waits
Old 04-11-2011, 09:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Not that this has much to do with the topic, but I sure wish Stevie and Christine would've harmonized more often, like on Straight Back. We got a good bit of Lindsey & Christine doing this, but with Stevie & Christine's voices being so different(especially after Stevie's voice changed in the early 80s) it was more interesting to my ears.

Also, I was thinking the other day, it's kind of funny how Stevie lost some of her higher range after Tusk and sorta the opposite happened with Christine. Not sure that Christine lost any of her lower range, but she seemed to use it less atleast. That just me?
Old 04-11-2011, 09:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I watched the BBC doc again yesterday, on my laptop at work, and loved it when Chris said, "actually, we're complete opposites, in almost every way"(or something very close to that). Because they really are. And that's probably WHY they got along, as well as they did.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I almost think the Stevie vs Bekka thing is fair game seeing how Bekka sang Stevie's songs onstage under the banner of Fleetwood Mac .
Although, Stevie DID sing Christine's songs under the banner of Fleetwood Mac. For that matter, Bekka sang way more Christine McVie songs than Stevie Nicks songs.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 04-11-2011, 08:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiver View Post
Also, I was thinking the other day, it's kind of funny how Stevie lost some of her higher range after Tusk and sorta the opposite happened with Christine. Not sure that Christine lost any of her lower range, but she seemed to use it less atleast. That just me?
Hmmm, interesting. Didn't notice that in Mirage and Tango. Could have been a way to balance their 3 voices, like twins who compensate for what the other doesn't have -- or doesn't have any more.

For Meantime the low range was back and lower than ever.

Michele
Old 04-13-2011, 12:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiver View Post
Good call. Comparing "Madison Blues" to "Tango," there was a big difference through the years. Maybe not as dramatic as Stevie, but still fairly clear. Chris has said that her voice got better with practice.

THE Stephen Hopkins