Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-10-2018, 05:11 PM
Ledgie

https://media.giphy.com/media/Ob7p7lDT99cd2/giphy.gif
Old 10-10-2018, 05:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Oh wow, it is worse than we thought. But many of us were correct in guessing Stevie gave the ultimatum.....its me or him.
Here are a few points that no one mentioned yet. This Lindsey/Stevie drama has went on for decades. Why do you suppose Mick or Christine was not able to mend things just for the tour? Stevie was upset Lindsey smirked at her? Good grief! Lindsey does make fun of her on stage for her talking. I often tell the story of the Miami show where Lindsey pissed her off so much because he was making sound effects with his guitar as she was speaking. She openly turned on him, right on the stage.
Now to the Rhiannon music for the intro. Even if it upset Lindsey just a bit, why would he get upset with a song he helped craft? Someone's song needed to be played. Its just silly jealousy on both sides.
But lets be real. This stubbornness by Stevie existed before this award show. I wish it was asked why Stevie refused to join them in the studio? This was a long time before the awards show. She was done with Lindsey after On With The Show tour.
One of the great guitarists gets fired for the most ridiculous things ever. It is very sad about the legacy and exactly what Lindsey said. They took 40 years to get over all their issues. They could not hold it together for one album and tour?
Yes I wish Mick and Christine would have intervened. But $tevie holds all the cards because she brings asses in the seats. SAD It truly is Stevie Mac. And I do agree. The Buck/McVie album drove Stevie to the brink. Just like she got jealous when Lindsey and Chris wrote World Turning together. If they sat and did nothing and waited for her solo tour to end, I would bet my life she would not have fired Lindsey.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 10-10-2018 at 05:20 PM..
Old 10-10-2018, 05:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
Speaking for myself, if I had known anyone for 4 decades and worked alongside them so much, I'd automatically consider that person a good friend, regardless of how often we may hang out and chat on our own. That's a long, long time to know and work with someone.
Pardon my long post, but your post really struck a chord with me. I know I like to think of FM as a family or as fairly tight friends, but SteveMacD is probably right- they are not close like I like to imagine. This incarnation has made, over the course of 40+years, 5 albums (FM, Rumours, Tusk, Mirage, and Tango). And we all know Tusk and Tango were not recorded by the band the way the other albums were. And when they toured, they likely spent very little time together except when they were on stage, and they makes sense, even though, again, I would have liked the idea that before the show, they might hang out and go sight seeing together, or have dinner, or whatever. Clearly they didn't, except when Billy Burnette and Rick Vito were in the band. Billy wrote in his book about how the entire band would jam after a show, including Stevie. Still, that was the exception rather than the rule. Once the band hit it big, any true closeness they had by traveling to gigs in a van or sharing hotel rooms vanished when they started taking jets and staying in individual penthouse suites. So Christine and Mick are close, Stevie and Mick are close, and John and Mick are probably kind-of close. Christine and Lindsey liked each other and had mutual respect, but they weren't close. Mick and Lindsey liked each other and had mutual respect, but they weren't close. And as I mentioned, during the past 40+years, they all probably went several years without communicating. We all know from mid-1987 to mid-1996, there was very little communication between them. Stevie recorded Twisted with Lindsey, and Mick and John worked on an album with Lindsey, but that was it. From 1997-2014, Christine probably talked to no one but Mick. I doubt Lindsey and John hung out, or Stevie and John, or Christine and John, or Christine and Stevie, or Christine and Lindsey. Mick seems to be the glue, if you will.

Stevie (and Lindsey, to a much lesser extent) talk a big game about their relationship, but to me, it's Hollywood talk. If Stevie's still hung up on Lindsey, then she needs to see a counselor. I really can't tell how much of her prattle about Lindsey is real or fake- even if they were like a married couple, they were still only together what, 4 years? Hardly a lengthy period of time, although going from struggling artists to successful millionaires virtually overnight would certainly create a bond, I grant her that.

The reason I write all this is that I've come to realize in the past few years that Stevie doesn't want to work with Lindsey anymore in the studio, and now she doesn't want to tour with him anymore, either. We know she didn't want to record with him because... after Say You Will, she didn't and wouldn't. She never said that in interviews, but it was obvious. Right or wrong, she made that decision and stuck to it, but she was still willing to tour with him. Then something happened and it sounds like she said "that's it, it's either him or me" and the band made their decision. I can't fault them, they need to make money to support their lifestyles, and recording doesn't bring in the money that touring does. Here's why people are going to say I'm wrong, but I can't fault Stevie, either. Regardless of her reasoning, she gave the band a the chance to choose, and they chose her. I've worked at the same agency for nearly 25 years in various positions, and I've had my share of conflicts with co-workers. While I've never given an ultimatum like that to my boss ("that's it, it's either him or me"), there have been times I wanted to! It's just that I couldn't afford to lose my job! Stevie CAN afford to issue that sort of ultimatum. We have to remember that being in FM is a job for them. In that respect, is it right to expect people who don't want to work together be forced to do so for our enjoyment?

A lot of people say that Stevie should have swallowed her pride, and that she owes Lindsey because if it hadn't been for Lindsey insisting she be allowed to join FM as well, she wouldn't be where she is today. Well, that's true, but it's just as possible that FM wouldn't have achieved the level of fame and success they did without Stevie. The simple fact is, those 3 songwriters created something together that probably wouldn't have existed if there had only been 2 of them. Lindsey left in 1987 because he had reached his limit and sadly, he left in 2018 because Stevie reached her limit. I don't recall anyone saying in 1987 that Lindsey should have sucked it up and toured with FM because he owed them for letting him join FM. Stevie doesn't owe Lindsey anymore. They've all been vastly rewarded for their work a million times over, financially and creatively.

Whew... again, sorry for the long post. I am not trying to change anyone's mind here. I just wanted to show another POV here. Lindsey's interview was very classy and I am THRILLED that he shared his story. I can't wait to see him in concert.
Old 10-10-2018, 05:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

How bitterly ironic. Lindsey wouldn’t join FM without Stevie and now she has him kicked out over nothing.
Old 10-10-2018, 05:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
How bitterly ironic. Lindsey wouldn’t join FM without Stevie and now she has him kicked out over nothing.
Doesn't matter what the chiffonheads say, she will FOREVER be known at the old hag who busted up the Rumours five.
Old 10-10-2018, 05:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I hope she regrets her childish actions for the rest of her bitter little life.
Her RARHOF speech should be a DOOZY. "tom petty was my life and he started my career back in the velvet underground" She makes me want to hurl.
Old 10-10-2018, 05:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhandchain View Post
Doesn't matter what the chiffonheads say, she will FOREVER be known at the old hag who busted up the Rumours five.
By some people.
Old 10-10-2018, 05:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel75 View Post
Just so I am clear, you hand on your heart think what he did at Musicares meant he should be fired from the band?
Not talking about anything from previous years, you genuinely think it was reasonable?
You cannot separate it from the previous years though. That’s the point. It has been BUILDING. This was not a one-off.

So yes, his firing was justified.

And like I have said many times before, if they had fired Stevie in 1987 when she was a complete mess, or after she did not want to record, her firing would have been justified too. But that didn’t happen.

Years later, this did.

Last edited by StevieandChris; 10-10-2018 at 05:56 PM..
Old 10-10-2018, 06:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieandChris View Post
You cannot separate it from the previous years though. That’s the point. It has been BUILDING. This was not a one-off.

So yes, his firing was justified.

And like I have said many times before, if they had fired Stevie in 1987 when she was a complete mess, or after she did not want to record, her firing would have been justified too. But that didn’t happen.

Years later, this did.
Your username says all we need to know about your views on this. You obviously hate LB. I on the other hand ADORED SN (since 1977) and the rest of the band until two years ago when she started acting like a total D bag. There I said it.
Old 10-10-2018, 06:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

So there we have it - we have heard the one half of the real story. I think we all knew the reasons for the departure from the Mac crew were a cover up. We should all know better, being fans and following their story over the years that something wasn't added up.

We do know that Lindsey does have an element of jealousy and bitterness to some degree that comes out when the cameras are not rolling. I have a hard time believing that a smirk from LB set Stevie off to no end. I think there is an issue with respect between the two, and for Stevie, how he treats her.

I'm not going to call anything on either side because I still feel like we still do not know the whole story other than from LB's perspective, and I think it should be left as that.

If Christine, John, and Mick are standing by Stevie I think there is a reason other than the infamous cash grab excuse that everyone on here claims. They all have millions and can retire happily. Something must have happened at Musicares that was a big thing. I feel like the whole story isn't sold yet. Now we wait to see if Stevie will respond to it.

Last edited by krrrby; 10-10-2018 at 06:09 PM..
Old 10-10-2018, 06:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhandchain View Post
Your username says all we need to know about your views on this. You obviously hate LB. I on the other hand ADORED SN (since 1977) and the rest of the band until two years ago when she started acting like a total D bag. There I said it.
Good for you! I am sure you will get a gold star.
Old 10-10-2018, 06:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison View Post
I think there is more to the story than what Lindsey is saying. Always two sides to everything, it takes two to break a relationship. I'm not defending anyone here. But lots of details seem to be missing.
I can only think things between Stevie and Lindsey have never been that good. They both know how to push buttons. Lindsey comes across as an overbearing perfectionist that has to be right. Stevie who lives in a bubble is at times oversensitive and reactive.
They seem to feed off of each other at times. I bet Lindsey can be at least emotionally abusive, knows what will stir her up.
So after many years of this, I think Stevie had enough, whatever happened at music cares may have been the tipping point of years and years of tension.
Maybe in her old age, she simply didn't want to deal with all the negative emotions and fighting anymore. I can understand how she may have come to this conclusion.
I agree fully, and am not at all surprised this happened. The fact that Christine did nothing to intervene in this tells me she empathized with Stevie and not Lindsey.
Old 10-10-2018, 06:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
Lindsey left in 1987 because he had reached his limit and sadly, he left in 2018 because Stevie reached her limit.
Not to be TOO nitpicky....but Lindsey did not leave, he was FIRED...not his CHOICE
Old 10-10-2018, 06:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzo View Post
I agree fully, and am not at all surprised this happened. The fact that Christine did nothing to intervene in this tells me she empathized with Stevie and not Lindsey.
I think it’s more likely that Christine doesn’t want to be in the middle of their drama nor go against Mick.
Old 10-10-2018, 06:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
I’m no Stevie apologist and I hate what has gone down. I’m also unclear why there is an immediate assumption that what Lindsey said is the whole story.
I think because the rest of the band (Stevie) have been caught in too many lies and haven't come out with anything else.