Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-14-2002, 07:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question Most underrated FM (or related) song?

This may have been covered already but I did a search on old threads and couldn't find a thread on it so I thought I'd toss up the idea here and now...

What would you guys say is the most UNDERRATED Mac (or FM related, if you prefer) song? You know, a song that never really got the recognition it deserved at the time or, if you think a song that was already big that you think should've been an even BIGGER hit than it was is cool too! Whatever you think, I just thought this might be a good one to put some thought in to and see what everyone has to say. Off the top of my head, I would say something like "Remember me" (from the "Penguin" album). I suppose any of the songs from that period could easily qualify as I keep thinking of how when Mac mania was taking over the world in the "Rumours" days, Warners could've made so much more money (if they really wanted to which we know they do/did want to!) they could've re-released many of the pre-75 songs as singles in the late 70's especially the Christine ones (as those in particular would've had that "familiar sound" to the new (at the time) fans (like me!) that were getting into the Mac at the time especially since Christine had many of the hit singles from "Rumours" & "Fleetwood Mac" (in the US anyways, going by Billboard's listings that is). They really blew it on that one!

Anyways, that's my thoughts and I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts soon.

John
Old 07-14-2002, 07:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Smile The two I picked...

are "Isn't It Midnight" and "Over And Over"...Seemed Christine's songs didnt get the recognition they deserved and these 2 songs should've been more recognized. The alternate version of "Isn't It Midnight" from the boxed set just sounds awesome, Even more so than the album version...Brian

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 07-14-2002, 08:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

If by under rated you mean any song that should've been a hit but wasn't the list would be WAY to long. So I'm only going to talk about released singles. Rhiannon which is THE stevie song should've been in the top 10. So should've the THE OTHER stevie song, Edge of 17. And on the other end Talk to me should not have reached #4. Another song that shocks me is Sidters of the Moon. My good 86. And ever worse is Fireflies. That song should've been at least in the top 20. It's FANTASTC. All Christine songs did very well. And although it reached #10 I think Go Your Own Way deserved to be higher. I mean a song that historic and monumental should've been in the top 5 AT LEAST.

He Will Burn You Down
Old 07-14-2002, 09:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Angry Robbed I tell you!! LOL

Fleetwood Mac should have a CRAPLOAD of hit or #1 songs, but then again, we are biased being FM fans first and foremost. Here's my list of songs that should have been AT LEAST in the top 10!!

1. GYOW (I mean, COME ON, the chorus is catchy and the guitar is greatness!! Should have been a #1 hit!!!!)

2. Rhiannon should also have been a #1, it's similar to Dreams!!

3. Isn't It Midnight (I agree with Brian on this one, it's got great guitar and Lindsey's breathy "face of a pretty girl" is GREAT!!)

4. Brown Eyes (THE sexiest song of FM's career, IMO, would have sounded GREAT on the radio!!!)

5. The Chain (Another #1 hit that got screwed!!!)

6. All of Stevie's Tusk tunes are GREATNESS!!

7. Tango in the Night (Starts off soothing and then....BAM, hits you right between the eyes!! Such an awesome song!!)

8. Second Hand News (Who doesn't love the bam-bam's? )

9. Can't Go Back (Not many people like this one, but I love it, and it's one of Lindsey's better Mirage tunes!!)

10. Little Lies (Should have been another #1!!!!!)
Old 07-14-2002, 09:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up I dont know...

how I forgot to add "Brown Eyes", That song does have a sexiness groove to it...Good call wondergirl9847...Brian

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 07-14-2002, 09:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

EXA Christy. Do you read my #1 hits thread. Come on if elvis can have a #1 hit when he's dead why couldn't Go Your own way and rhiannon get to #1. And the chain and little lies too.

He Will Burn You Down
Old 07-14-2002, 09:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Cool I did see it!!

Yeppers, I saw that thread!! Mariah Carey deserves all of her #1 hits because (even with all her personal problems and stuff)...GIRL CAN SANG!!! Her debut album is one of the greatest of all time, IMO. I like Mariah and Whitney too, just wish those two would eat a sandwich, stop doing drugs and get REAL MEN in their lives!!!!!!!!! GEEZ LADIES, grow up!!

But, to answer you, yes, I agree, FM should have had TONS more hits and so should LINDSEY, especially from OOTC, that is CHOCK FULL OF HITS!!!!! It's so frustrating when you love and adore a band and they get crapped on.
Old 07-14-2002, 10:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

OOTC sho've had more hits but that's fantasy land. I'm with you and so is eveeryone on this board. Countdow or This is the Time or Wrong should all be #1 hits. But that just can't happen. What i'm talking about are all the songs that Everyone knows and loves. GYOW and Rhoiannon, EO!7, Don't Stop. They have #1 written on em but can't get there.

He Will Burn You Down
Old 07-14-2002, 11:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation Brown Eyes...

My God, this was MEANT to be a single, it's an amazing song, maybe Christine's best tune, and no-one (well, except the people that actually have the Tusk album/CD) knows about its existance. It's my favorite Fleetwood Mac song and it surely deserved more airplay than what it got.

"Just Crazy Love" comes to mind. Another "meant to be" single that never was... maybe it could've helped to increase the sales of the album (I don't quite remember - was it Mystery To Me?)... "Sisters Of The Moon", "Fireflies", "Think About Me" and "Love In Store" surely deserved more important chart places.

"Isn't It Midnight", yes, another underrated tune.

Song of the moment - Sara
Old 07-15-2002, 04:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I have always regarded Christines songs on Tusk as completely boring. (except of "think about me") Somehow they didn`t seem to fit into the new and strange (great) concept of the album. But there are other ones I like. As somebody else mentioned above some of her songs from "Mystery to me" were forgotten later on. I really would rather have appreciated to listen to some of these ones on a live show or record instead of listening to f.ex."songbird" once again...

By the way- I think that "mystery..." is a great album, especially the Bob Welsh tunes, f.e. "hypnotized", "Miles away" and "Forever" provide a great atmosphere. I liked LB`s live- version of "Hypnotized". It would have been fine, to listen to more of this material adapted by LB or even doing Christine some of her older material on the shows. I also like "Isn`t it midnight" (but I don't like "Mystified" and "Over and over"- really bad in my opinion)

Concerning the no.1 thing... I don`t believe that any of the LB or FM songs coming up, will ever get there. It's just the Britney Spears/ Backstreet Boys exchangeable and superficial Marionette No 1 era. Doesn't matter if you play an instrument or write your own tunes. Anyone there, who believes in 20 years there are Britney oder Christina Aguilera Message boards on the internet? Hardly. Nobody will remember. So this no. 1 thing doesn`t really mean a lot.
CU, Stefan
Old 07-15-2002, 07:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

i think the fact that Sara, a song which has NO actual chorus managed to become a chart hit is an unprecedented phenomenon.

somewhere deep in the middle of the night baby, i think about you!!! she says somewhere deep in the middle of the night my baby, i think about you!!!! she says i know what it sounds liiike! i know what it sounds liiiiiiiiiiike, i know what it sounds like, it sounds like youuuuuuuuuu!!!!!!
Old 07-15-2002, 11:32 AM
thewhitewingedd
This message has been deleted by thewhitewingedd.
Old 07-15-2002, 02:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

While time has proved very kind to it ("time cast a spell on you, that you won't forget me...."), I've always felt that "Silver Springs" would have topped the charts, and probably even won a Grammy, had it been included on Rumours and released as a single.

As far as underrated tunes, Christine's "Nights In Estoril," from Time, is one of the best songs of her career... yet many Mac fans have never even heard it.
It's worth picking up a copy of that album, folks, even if it's just for Christine's songs and nothing more. (Though I think if you give the rest of the album a chance, you'll be pleasantly surprised.)

Johnny Stew
Old 07-15-2002, 05:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Post underrated

Good call on Time Johnny Stew...for Christine's songs. I especially like "Sooner Or Later"...great song!!

In general I think the most underrated Mac member is Christine. This woman has written a bunch of catchy, innovative, and moving songs.

Homeward Bound
Spare Me A Little
Did You Ever Love Me
Just Crazy Love
Why
Prove Your Love
Oh Daddy
Brown Eyes......one of my favorite FM songs of all time.....it is very sexy!
Isn't It Midnight....oh yeah, it DOES rock!

Not to mention the songs on her solo lp in 1984

Ask Anybody
I'm The One
The Smile I Live For

YOU WILL BE MISSED

Joe
Old 07-15-2002, 08:33 PM
Ledgie

The song that comes to my mind that should have had more recognition is The Chain. I really like that song, and i would have figured that it would have gotten more play on the radio and things like that.
§Mal§
Old 07-16-2002, 05:45 PM
Ledgie

My picks are:

Brown Eyes
Hypnotized
Blue Letter
Angel

Also, I agree that Brown Eyes IS very sexy sounding... I just gave it another listen, and it really stood out as a sexy song to me... its awesome!

Adam R.